Relative Noob here, some advice needed. (Image heavy)

Thread: Relative Noob here, some advice needed. (Image heavy)

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Relative Noob here, some advice needed. (Image heavy)

So, I've been collecting for about a year or so, since the jewelry/antique shop I work in acquired a watchmaker's estate and I got my hands on a few gems (and caught the bug). Here's what I've currently got:

(vintage)
    Seiko Bellmatic Alarm

Movado Bumper Wind

Bulova GF Tank Watch

Paul Breguette SS

Zodiac automatic
    (no pics ATM)

(New)
    Wittau chrono (the e-bay listing claims a VAL7750, but I am suspect.

and finally a W.O.W. mb microtec H3 watch (Code Blue).

Now, on to the questions:

I'm going to be graduating college in a little less than a year, and I'd like to get a watch instead of a class ring. I'm more likely to wear and keep a watch for a long period of time than a ring, and I think it'd be a nicer thing to pass on than a ring.

I'm probably going to be looking around $1000-1500. Right now I'm thinking the hamilton Khaki Field Auto Chrono.

I'm open to other suggestions. I'm going to be a Mechanical Engineer, so a tool watch is acceptable. I'd prefer a chrono.

Also, I'd like to have the back engraved to commemorate my graduation, has anyone here ever had a sapphire back laser engraved? Is that possible?

and finally: I'm very intrigued by the Hamilton Frogman auto chrono.

Anyone have one of these? Does the lack of a constant second bother you? Whats with the little magnifier windows that are only on some of the ones I've seen. Are they removable? are the buttons easy to press/ access? I can't decide if I like it or not.

Regards,

Sean

welcome here!

IMO a graduation gift should be a longlasting, never sold or given away, watch.
    I also think it should be special, remind you of your achievement and goals, be wearable in most situations, and durable.
    I'd "table" hamilton for a subsequent purchase, even though there's nothing wrong with them, I just think there are "better" more special and unique quality pieces.
    Oris, Sinn, Stowa, Ocean7, Omega, damasko.
    good luck whatever you choose.

Re: Relative Noob here, some advice needed. (Image heavy)

Nice collection you have! I like the Bulova GF in particular.

Regarding the watch for a grad gift I personally think the Hamilton Khaki Field Auto Chrono is a good choice, especially considering your budget and preference for a chrono. Looks great on both bracelet and strap, and with its military yet elegant looks it makes for a versatile and attractive piece. Good luck with your decision!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: welcome here!

I agree completely and recommend several of the same brands as jhamlin - Sinn, Oris, Stowa. You can pick up some of these brands right here for a fraction of the new purchase price.

Good luck and you have some very nice vintage watches.
    Sláinte,
    Joe

Thread Information