Reliability of inexpensive automatics?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Reliability of inexpensive automatics?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi from a newbie..I am not sure what sparked it, but I definitelyhave caught the “watch bug” I am looking to get a new watch and what I want to knowis are relatively inexpensive automatic reliable? (about $400) I know there is a lot ofdiscussion on the benefits of automatic vs quartz, so I am trying not to askthat here ; )

Are the automatics in my price range of about $400 reliable,or is a quartz the better way to go? I am hesitant to spend more than a fewhundred on a quartz thinking if I am going to get a quartz, why not just get a “fashion”grade watch (which I don’t want to do) Bottom line is I love the concept of theautomatic, but maybe I am not in the right price point to make it worth it.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

cam9910

Re: Reliability of inexpensive automatics?

Welcome!

You should be able to find a watch with an ETA/Sellita/Soprod movement for $400. These movements are pretty much the standard for Swiss automatics in this price range and should last you a lifetime if serviced properly.

Welcome to the forum! Along with the suggestion above, I always recommend a nice Seiko automatic as a tester to see if an automatic will work for you.

Some people don't like having to wear the watch every day or every other day to keep it going.

In addition I'll add that a basic seiko automatic is likely to last you a decade or more without service and still run quite well. YMMV
    Last edited by Alex.C; March 20th, 2013 at 15:32.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Along with the suggestion above, I always recommend a nice Seiko automatic as a tester to see if an automatic will work for you.

Some people don't like having to wear the watch every day or every other day to keep it going.

In addition I'll add that a basic seiko automatic is likely to last you a decade or more with out service and still run quite well. YMMV
    Indeed - I don't know why I was only thinking of Swiss - there are of course Japanese, Russian and even Chinese movements well within that price range that should perform admirably.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Indeed - I don't know why I was only thinking of Swiss - there are of course Japanese, Russian and even Chinese movements well within that price range that should perform admirably.
    Actually, I am strongly leaning towards Swiss only. In my mind, I'd like to think that a Swiss made watch is from a "Old world Craftsmanship" process vs a mechanized mass production ( which I know at this price point would not really be the case .
    Last edited by cam9910; March 20th, 2013 at 16:04.

Quote Originally Posted by cam9910 View Post
    Actually, I am strongly leaning towards Swiss only. In my mind, I'd like to think that a Swiss made watch is from a "Old world Craftsmanship" process vs a mechanized mass production ( which I know at this price point would not really be the case .
    Welcome to WUS. FYI, outside of the uber high end watches everything is manufactured using mechanized mass production, regardless of country. Just as an example I'll use Rolex since they are the most well known and considered high end by the vast majority of the population, they produced around one million watches last year, do you really think they were all made by some old Swiss mastercraftsman by hand? Doesn't change the fact that they are extremely well built quality watches, even if mass produced.
    Ovalteenie and Will_f like this.

Seiko also has very reliable Automatic watches within that price range...
    Le Chiffre likes this.
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

JSI

Actually, I am strongly leaning towards Swiss only. In my mind, I'd like to think that a Swiss made watch is from a "Old world Craftsmanship" process vs a mechanized mass production.
    You could not be more wrong, in that price range and even adding another zero(maybe 2) to the amount you are willing to spend will not change that.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that for $400 I think you will get a better quality watch if you look for something that does not have to say "Swiss Made" at six o'clock.

I'll chime in and agree that seiko has many high-quality watches in that price range. In general, you can't beat japanese watches for quality/price.

If you're looking for swiss made watches, Hamilton also makes very nice watches around that price point. If you're willing to buy pre-owned, you can stretch $400 into a lot of options.
    Le Chiffre likes this.
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 | Omega Seamaster 300 165.024 | Nomos Orion Ref. 309 | Helson Shark Diver 40 v2 (white)
    Seiko MM300 SBDX001 | Seiko Alpinist SARB017 | Seiko 5 SNK803 | Citizen EcoDrive Calibre 8700 | Citizen 8110 Bullhead

Actually the parts for just about every watch made in the past 100+ years have been manufactured on an assembly line using precision machines that can produce large numbers of the same part to very close tolerances. There is some hand assembly, finishing and adjusting of movements. The more the pricier. Virtually every mechanical movement made today is highly reliable and reasonably accurate considering the design. And every movement made today is remarkable for their similarity to a well proven mature design that dates back over a century. Pick the watch you like based on it's design and the manufacturers reputation. Don't focus on the impossible to define and largely useless country of origin.

Last edited by John MS; March 20th, 2013 at 20:20.
    Sean779 and CCCP like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information