Repair question - 1991 Quartz Wittnauer

Thread: Repair question - 1991 Quartz Wittnauer

Repair question - 1991 Quartz Wittnauer

First time poster with many hours of enjoyable forum reading experience.

I have a 1991 Wittnauer quartz presentation watch with a small problem. About a year ago a local jeweler attempted to replace the battery and he broke the head off of the battery strap screw, ie; screw that anchors one end of the metal strap that holds the button cell in place. The threaded part of the screw is still in the watch frame. He said he could not remove the threaded portion and I would have to buy a replacement ETA (6 jewels $114) movement for the watch to get it running again.

Does this seem reasonable? The threaded portion of the screw is loose in the frame, not frozen in place. Is there not some way the broken portion of the screw can be retrived?

Thank you for your help.

tried

Re: Repair question - 1991 Quartz Wittnauer

Quote Originally Posted by tried View Post
    First time poster with many hours of enjoyable forum reading experience.

I have a 1991 Wittnauer quartz presentation watch with a small problem. About a year ago a local jeweler attempted to replace the battery and he broke the head off of the battery strap screw, ie; screw that anchors one end of the metal strap that holds the button cell in place. The threaded part of the screw is still in the watch frame. He said he could not remove the threaded portion and I would have to buy a replacement ETA (6 jewels $114) movement for the watch to get it running again.

Does this seem reasonable? The threaded portion of the screw is loose in the frame, not frozen in place. Is there not some way the broken portion of the screw can be retrived?

Thank you for your help.

tried
    Hard to tell much without a picture. I find it fifficult to imagine a screw head being broken off unless he turned it the wrong way with great force. Or if a battery leaked and weakened the metal. To be honest the jeweler should have been asked to participate in the replacement cost back then.

Thread Information