Reparing, replacing, or upgrading from my current watch

Thread: Reparing, replacing, or upgrading from my current watch

Reparing, replacing, or upgrading from my current watch

I have a Tag Heuer CL111A, which is called the Kirium Formula 1.

I love the clean look of it and the fact that the date is legible for me without reading glasses. It's very difficult to find good watches that provide a really legible date and that look classy like this one.

But it's been out of production for a few years now.

The one I have has worked fine until recently. It seems to have lost about 18 minutes in the hands but the digital display is still accurate. I didn't notice if the loss in the hands was gradual over a week or happened all at once. It's stayed there for about a week now (I haven't tried to set it back to normal time as of yet). Really, for all I know, it could be losing a minute or so per day. I haven't tracked it that closely.

A local store said it's probably the mechanism and not just in need of a battery (which it's surely due for, though).

I'm told I can send it in and for a few hundred bucks get maintenance that will have it looking "like new" and hopefully get it repaired. It might be around $400 to 4500 total as his rough guess.

I don't know what would happen if I just reset it and see if it loses the time in the hands again or not. Is it possible it was "a fluke" or something? If it "seems" okay after a couple days, would you trust that? I run a business and need my watch to be reliable. It can be very inconvenient to find out the hard way it lost time on me again. (I guess that answers that. No point in even playing around with that kind of risk. Oh, well.)

I also am considering looking for a new one of the same model somewhere, perhaps from an authorized dealer who just didn't sell off all their inventory yet, or maybe eBay (cringe).

Or, alternatively, look at a new model of watch that might make me as happy as this one did. Maybe that's really what I should be asking. What watch might come close to the main design features of this, mainly classy look and readable date?

I'd appreciate any advice at all.

Thanks!

Jay

Re: Reparing, replacing, or upgrading from my current watch

Reset and let the watch run for a few days to see if the hands slack again. Meanwhile use another watch.

Okay, so I tried to reset the time, and it started acting haywire right away.

For instance, with the time showing in the digital display my changing of the hour number first changed the hands by one hour, then 40 minutes, and then not at all --and the digital hour indicator would change but then not change... and so on.

Then, the entire digital display began flashing. Then, each mode of the digital display was still flashing.

Then, the main neutral screen showed a flashing EOL at the top, which I presume means End of Life.

The question is, would this behavior indicate just needing a new battery, or something more severe?

What confuses me is that if it was just a battery -- according to the tech at the local watch store, at least -- it wouldn't lose time in the hands (and certainly would not do so separate from a still-accurate digital time display), but would instead be showing a rapid double-movement of the seconds hand, which it has not as yet done at all.

The EOL disappeared after a few minutes, and the seconds hand seems to again be moving normally, but trying to reset the time is again exhibiting that weird freaking-out behavior.

What do you think? Just replace the battery? Send it in for repair? Or just get a new watch?

And if replacing the battery seems worth trying first, can any decent local watch repairman at a good jewelry shop do that on this watch (which was successful for me a couple years ago), or do I really want to send it in to Tag Heuer – and get full maintenance while I’m at it? (I really don’t see the need for maintenance from a cosmetic point of view since the scratches all over the brushed band and casing are barely noticeable and will be returning really quickly anyway.)

Thanks!

Jay

IMPORTANT EDIT: I see now in the manual (should have looked at the before) that both the EOL sign in the netural positon and the flashing of the display in all other screens means it's time to replace the battery! So, I'm going to assume that's what accounts for the loss in time, too. Which brings me to the only pressing question, then: Is it reasonably safe to have that done at a local watch repair shop, or should I send it in to be safe (and get the perks of the maintenance)?

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Get the battery changed. My local jeweler has done that for every quartz watch that needed it including a vintage Omega. If you're concerned get a TAG dealer to do it. Worry about the other stuff if the battery change doesn't work.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Replace the battery & sell the watch. Buy a Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Hamilton, Ball, Seiko, or even a G-shock, in fact anything but another TAG (unless of course it is a Monza or a Monaco).

Thread Information