Replica - Genuine Sea-Dweller comparison

Thread: Replica - Genuine Sea-Dweller comparison

Replica - Genuine Sea-Dweller comparison

Here is the comparison review I promised. Usual disclaimer about if you don't like fakes then don't read on and don't slag me off for writing it.

I have taken a genuine Rolex Sea-Dweller and a high end replica and compared them to show the differences. I hope that this will be a guide to those who are thinking of buying a second hand SD and show you what to look for to ensure you are getting the genuine article.

http://petemillar.com/rolex/rolex.htm

Pete

Re: Replica - Genuine Sea-Dweller comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Peter Millar
    Here is the comparison review I promised. Usual disclaimer about if you don't like fakes then don't read on and don't slag me off for writing it.

I have taken a genuine Rolex Sea-Dweller and a high end replica and compared them to show the differences. I hope that this will be a guide to those who are thinking of buying a second hand SD and show you what to look for to ensure you are getting the genuine article.

Pete
    excellent pictures and comparisons. I was wondering if the replica you were comparing was a high end oriental replica or a high end swiss replica.There are sites out there that advertise swiss mechanisms and seem to be highly recommended. your opinion would be appreciated...:thanks :thanks

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Wonderful article - even for those people like me who tend to shy away from Rolex. Although one reason for that is that it is so easy to get palmed off with a fake....!!!

One thing that intrigues me is that the faker used an ETA 2836, the day-date version of the ETA 2824. Since the SD has only a date function, and so does the fake, why use the 2836 rather than the 2824?!

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Peter Millar

Pete
    Dear Pete,
    I have just finished reading this excellent report. I am astonished how far the 'replicators' have got now. Your photographic comparisons and explanations were fantastic. I would have a real problem picking the fake if it was on it's own and I didn't know what to look for.

I was in the hunting for a pre-owned SD, but will now having seen this I will give it up altogether. It's just not worth the risk of buying unless from a Rolex Dealer and that will have to wait for a while yet!

Thank you once again for your report. It has made me think.

I think it's a safe bet that the faker had a source for inexpensive 2836s- perhaps the source was overstocked on them...

Thread Information