reputable places to buy watches?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: reputable places to buy watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

reputable places to buy watches?

Im still hunting for a good dive watch, and im wondering where to get a watch for a good price from a reputable dealer? also what issues are there for factory warranties? I see some places only offer "international" warranties whatever that is.

thanks!

Re: reputable places to buy watches?

An authorized dealer?
    Watchbreath likes this.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

Your best option is to buy from an Authorized Dealer or "AD." In addition to those with storefronts there are many reputable ones who have online portals and sell both new and used watches. On the other end of the spectrum are dealers such as Jomashop and Ashford, which offer gray market products that have either international warranties or warranties issued by them a third party associated with that dealer. Getting satisfactory warranty service through gray market dealers can be a challenge, a problem you'll rarely face with an AD. Other threads on WUS also point to quality issues with allegedly new watches bought from gray market sources. You may pay more through an AD, but in the long run it's often worth it. Buying used is another matter and another topic -- I assume you're talking about new merchandise.
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depending on the brand there are some sellers who are favored by many forum members for delivering authentic watches at very near or better than gray market prices and that is with a fully valid manufactures warranty in brand new or like new condition.

You might want to check out the brand specific sub-forum for the watch you had in mind and ask around to see where those members buy their watches. Something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by waterman308 View Post
    Im still hunting for a good dive watch, and im wondering where to get a watch for a good price from a reputable dealer? also what issues are there for factory warranties? I see some places only offer "international" warranties whatever that is.

thanks!
    What do you consider a "good price"?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    What do you consider a "good price"?
    Good and fair question -

As an example, I was eyeing a Seiko solar dive chronograph on Amazon around $200 or so. In Macy's and JCP's the same watch is $350-400 give or take.

So I am looking for a best price perhaps is the better way of saying it.

I am also interested in an "AD" source - i've noticed the 3rd party warranty, some of htem on Amazon, and I am not comfortable with that.

I get the impression that the watch market has a fair amount of deception if you don't know what you are looking at, which I don't to a great extent. Very different from other types of things that i have purchased where authenticity was never a question, and the warrant is what it is no matter where or whom you buy it from.
    Wacobipe likes this.

Amazon is a good deal due to their return policy (basically they'll replace anything for free). However buying from an AD gets you the factory warranty which has value to many people, even if they would never use it. At your price point I would buy from Amazon if it is cheaper as there is little to be gained establishing a relationship with Macy's or JP's watch department. An AD (authorized dealer, so named on the brand's website) is usually going to be more expensive than the grey market (most of Amazon's offerings, but not all) and sometimes it is worth paying for a mild increase in cost at the AD to establish a relationship and therefore get perks (just like at car dealerships) that more than make up for the cost or are something you cannot buy regardless of how much you want to pay.

Grey markets are for the most part legitimate businesses that are not authorized by the brand to sell their watches. As such they (usually) do not have a factory/manufacturer warranty and are usually cheaper. They (usually) have subpar customer service compared to an AD and (usually) are more of a headache to deal with repairs and warranty related stuff. You have to decide for yourself if this is worth the reduced price.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

You're not likely to get a factory warranty and the largest possible discount from the same place. You're going to need to decide which is more important to you, especially if you decide to go with a Seiko.

Reputable dealer is equivalent to an authorized dealer; head over to your nearest one.
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending".

Loaded question IMHO. There are those that will pay through the nose for the AD "experience" and warranty. Me, I've had one problem with a gray market seller in many years of buying watches and all the money I've saved from my other non-AD sales was 25x the cost of that interaction. Many of the "gray" market sellers are back-door ADs who are constrained by their contract with the distributor or maker into selling at very specific prices and with stiff price controls to maintain their AD status + hard sales numbers required to maintain their AD status. So, how do gray sellers get genuine watches? Hmmm.

Add to that my worst two experiences with the watch world have been with a seller in another forums marketplace who grossly misrepresented the watch and with our local, "friendly" Rolex AD and you can see that I'm not one of the AD fans. There are plenty of incredibly poor ADs out there as well as plenty of great gray market sellers - and vice versa - but, in the end, you will do what you do. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Docrwm; July 24th, 2015 at 20:30.
    richnyc likes this.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information