Resale value definitions or clarity

Thread: Resale value definitions or clarity

Resale value definitions or clarity

So does good resale value mean you can sell it for close to what you bought it for? If so how much time is allowed for the watch to reach that original purchase price and still have good resale value?

For example I recently sold a SS diver for it's original retail price. I bought it in 2005. So after 6 years I sold it for what I bought it for ($4200) Does this qualify as good resale value?
    Wilson Watch Works 39mm Diver
    Bremont MB II
    Bremont SOLO/WH-SI

Re: Resale value definitions or clarity

Quote Originally Posted by valdarrant View Post
    So does good resale value mean you can sell it for close to what you bought it for? If so how much time is allowed for the watch to reach that original purchase price and still have good resale value?

For example I recently sold a SS diver for it's original retail price. I bought it in 2005. So after 6 years I sold it for what I bought it for ($4200) Does this qualify as good resale value?
    I would say that's excellent resale value. If you live in the US your money's probably worth 15 - 20 percent less now than it was when you bought the watch so you didn't really break even, but paying around $125 per year to wear a really nice watch is a pretty good deal. In the brief time that I've been collecting I've happily done much worse.

That is excellent resale value. Watches don't tend to increase in value. Only very few specific models will over a long period of time and the usual factors involved are; demand and amount available, as with most other things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

This a a good resale value.

I once bought a GO with the very first movement (GUB 10-30) for 500 DM, now they fetch about 1000 to 1500 Euro on ebay. That's what I would call an excellent resale value.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for your reply Mike I dare say that is potentially best in class. How long did you own it?
    Bremont MB II
    Bremont SOLO/WH-SI

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Thanks for your reply Mike I dare say that is potentially best in class. How long did you own it?
    Bought it in 1994.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Re: Resale value great example!!!

wow. So after 17 years the value went from approx 255 Euros to 1000-1500 Euros or 23% a year growth on the low side!

Great example....anyone else out there??????

What about after 5 or 10 years like my experience? or better yet what brands would you do you expect to sell at original purchase price after 5 or 10 years?
    Bremont MB II
    Bremont SOLO/WH-SI

wow. So after 17 years the value went from approx 255 Euros to 1000-1500 Euros or 23% a year growth on the low side!

What about after 5 or 10 years like my experience? or better yet what brands would you do you expect to sell at original purchase price after 5 or 10 years?
    You've got to remember that normal inflation is going to take a chunk out of his actual return. I'm no economist, but the actual cost of that watch in today's world would be closer to 400 euros. It's still a fantastic return - just not quite as great. The only reason I bring this up is that more than once a salesperson has told me that one watch or another was a great investment because I could sell it for what I paid years later and that just isn't the whole story. Having said that you're deal was undeniably terrific and Mike's was even better.
    Last edited by ljb187; August 29th, 2011 at 01:33.

I'm just happy when I don't lose my derriere on resale.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Call me naive but I just buy watches to keep or give away to family.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information