Researching basic details about a watch, where to start?

Thread: Researching basic details about a watch, where to start?

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4

    Researching basic details about a watch, where to start?

    I was looking at a Louis watch at a local jeweler's and can't find anything online comparable to it because of the diamonds. I'm having trouble finding out any information/history about the brand Louis, the quality of the watch, and how rare this is with the diamonds. It seems reasonably priced at $250 but the Louis watches on Ebay range from $6.00-$1,800.00, so I honestly don't know if that's a good deal either.

    My main question for this forum is where would you guys recommend I begin my search for this information? since Google, Google Images, Ebay, nor Amazon were much help. Is there a specific place on this forum where these questions should be directed? Is there another website better suited for asking questions? Any help would be useful, thanks!

    -Pope

    P.S. I attached a photo of the watch about which I'm curious. I hope I did it right! The most notable scratches are just on the crystal so I'm not too worried about those.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Member mpalmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Middle of the Middle West
    Posts
    27,917

    Re: Researching basic details about a watch, where to start?

    Welcome to the forums! You can try watchrecon and chrono24.
    Last edited by mpalmer; July 7th, 2016 at 01:49.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4

    Re: Researching basic details about a watch, where to start?

    Thank you for the reply, and for the welcome! It appears that those sites are mostly selling watches that are much more high-end than the one I'm looking at. The only search results returned are for Cartier Louis and Louis Vuitton watches. But I appreciate your help! I think Louis is the entire name of this brand, but I could be wrong. I'm still piecing a lot of this together.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Paulo 8135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal
    Posts
    5,050

    Re: Researching basic details about a watch, where to start?

    Quote Originally Posted by popefromtv View Post
    Thank you for the reply, and for the welcome! It appears that those sites are mostly selling watches that are much more high-end than the one I'm looking at. The only search results returned are for Cartier Louis and Louis Vuitton watches. But I appreciate your help! I think Louis is the entire name of this brand, but I could be wrong. I'm still piecing a lot of this together.
    Doesn't look solid gold to me - scratch top right with steel exposed, no?

    Edit: try search including terms -Cartier -Vuitton. Make sure you include the dashes!
    Last edited by Paulo 8135; July 7th, 2016 at 02:10.
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

    * Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4

    Re: Researching basic details about a watch, where to start?

    Quote Originally Posted by paulopiper View Post
    Doesn't look solid gold to me - scratch top right with steel exposed, no?

    Edit: try search including terms -Cartier -Vuitton. Make sure you include the dashes!
    Thank you for the response! Great advice, I turned up a lot better results once those keywords were 86'ed from the equation, but alas to no avail on either site previously mentioned.

    Regarding that area that definitely looks like a scratch: I doubt it is solid gold at that price point of $250, however I really took note of everything I thought may need fixing on that watch and I honestly don't recall observing a scratch, even though that's certainly how it appears in the photo. Perhaps a reflection of some kind.

  7. #6
    Member Paulo 8135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal
    Posts
    5,050

    Re: Researching basic details about a watch, where to start?

    Hmm. If it's solid gold, should have some kind of hallmarks. You can ask and check. Personally based on what I've seen on ebay and the likelihood this is an extinct brand, there's no way I'd pay $250 for it. If it were solid gold and I loved the look (which I subjectively don't), I'd maybe go $200? But I'd have to really love the look. Do you?
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

    * Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    4

    Re: Researching basic details about a watch, where to start?

    Quote Originally Posted by paulopiper View Post
    Hmm. If it's solid gold, should have some kind of hallmarks. You can ask and check. Personally based on what I've seen on ebay and the likelihood this is an extinct brand, there's no way I'd pay $250 for it. If it were solid gold and I loved the look (which I subjectively don't), I'd maybe go $200? But I'd have to really love the look. Do you?
    Upon further inspection I noticed that the circular bezel actually has flat edges (not sure how to describe that on a watch), and the discolored area in the photo is the length of one of those flat edges. That leads me to believe more strongly that it's just lighting or a reflection.

    The question of solid gold is a good question and I'll definitely ask the jeweler about that when I go back. I actually do love the look and I completely agree with the $200 assessment. I don't think I'd pay $250 for this watch, but I'm willing to let any info I get on this brand or this watch sway me in either direction.

    My main concern was with the quality of this brand and the history of the Louis brand. I've spent most of my life just loving the way watches look, and that's led me to collecting watches based on qualities that I find unique and personally appealing. That's been fun but now I'm looking to build a more quality collection of watches. I suppose that begins with knowing what I'm buying!

  9. #8
    Member Paulo 8135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal
    Posts
    5,050

    Re: Researching basic details about a watch, where to start?

    Quote Originally Posted by popefromtv View Post
    Upon further inspection I noticed that the circular bezel actually has flat edges (not sure how to describe that on a watch), and the discolored area in the photo is the length of one of those flat edges. That leads me to believe more strongly that it's just lighting or a reflection.

    The question of solid gold is a good question and I'll definitely ask the jeweler about that when I go back. I actually do love the look and I completely agree with the $200 assessment. I don't think I'd pay $250 for this watch, but I'm willing to let any info I get on this brand or this watch sway me in either direction.

    My main concern was with the quality of this brand and the history of the Louis brand. I've spent most of my life just loving the way watches look, and that's led me to collecting watches based on qualities that I find unique and personally appealing. That's been fun but now I'm looking to build a more quality collection of watches. I suppose that begins with knowing what I'm buying!
    If the price range on ebay is up to $1800, I wouldn't have qualms about the quality of the brand, probably (depends on whether people are actually buying that high). If you do love the look then in your shoes I'd buy it at $250, but can be good to see if you can get the price down.

    Buying watches based on qualities which personally appeal to you makes a lot of sense. Hopefully someone can chime in with more history on the brand.
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

    * Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. ETA chart of basic details: ETA 2824-2, 2892-A2, & 7750
      By Tempvs Ex Machina in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: November 17th, 2015, 03:51
    2. resources for researching birth year watch?
      By WatchILuv in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: January 24th, 2015, 21:55
    3. Replies: 13
      Last Post: February 4th, 2012, 07:37
    4. Researching for Scooby doo watch, need some help?
      By DIRTY_S30 in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: November 10th, 2009, 03:43
    5. Ever buy a watch before researching it?
      By D N Ravenna in forum Zenith
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: August 31st, 2007, 12:34

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •