Resell value of "affordable quality" watches

Thread: Resell value of "affordable quality" watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Resell value of "affordable quality" watches

Hello

If we talk about these 300-500€, in lack of better word, "affordable quality" watches like Helsons, Steinharts and whatnot (I don't mean fashion watches like Diesels and etc,) how is their resell value in second hand market?

Lets say few months old used basic ETA-piece in mint or nearly-mint condition, will it keep 80% of its original value, or maybe 60% if you are selling one?

Reason I'm asking becouse it seems to be extremely difficult to find any comparable products of watches that fall into above mentioned categories from eBay or watch forums, propably becouse the ratio of price:quality is pretty good so people people will rather keep them as secondary watches that selling them on.

Best regards,
    Person who has never sold a used watch

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Resell value of "affordable quality" watches

Post moved from Inquiries to Public
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I would say 80% or above.

For example a new black monster goes for ~200
    people sell them at 160 easily.
    thats 80% value

especially if the piece is hard to get like Steinharts. Many are out of stock and are overseas. People will pay close to retail just to not deal with all of that
    Click this link to view my countless Positive Ratings here on Watchuseek https://www.google.com/#q=j+stuff+si...seek.com%2Ff63

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

His price range being quite a bit higher than $200, I don't think the Monsters are a good example. Plus, they are readily available from $100-140. I just found three for $140 or less without trying hard.

OP, check elitedealseeker.com, which links to sales on several forums, and search watches for 28 days (max time frame). I see many watches selling down near 50% and deals can be had if you are patient. 65-85% seems more of the norm, but that's just my observation and very unscientific opinion.

Elite Deal Seeker
    Last edited by Red Rover; September 26th, 2010 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    His price range being quite a bit higher than $200, I don't think the Monsters are a good example. Plus, they are readily available from $100-140. I just found three for $140 or less without trying hard.

OP, check elitedealseeker.com, which links to sales on several forums, and search watches for 28 days (max time frame). I see many watches selling down near 50% and deals can be had if you are patient. 65-85% seems more of the norm, but that's just my observation and very unscientific opinion.

Elite Deal Seeker
    These watches sell every day on the forums. I'm not sure why you say that you can't find any info. Anyway, watch out for Elite Deal Seeker, you'll find all your grail watches there, often.
    I'd say about 70% in that price range, if mint.
    -Brian
    member #8172 . 十人十色
    AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
    I'd say about 70% in that price range, if mint.
    I'm going to say the same.

I've been fortunate because I've broken even on every watch I've ever flipped but I'm looking at my 4-month-old Hamilton and I don't think she would even make back 50%. It all comes down to market demand and the condition of the watch.
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

There are plenty of watches which meet the criteria you've decribed as affordable being sold on the "secondary" market. You may have to refine your search a bit or broaden the search field to find what you're looking for. As far as value goes, it depends on the brand of the watch, the condition, and the quality of the components~Cheers!

For most "affordable" watches, I'd estimate that you're going to take a big hit when you sell them--if you bought them new. You can figure on their value dropping about 50 percent if you've held onto them for a year or more. Only the more "rare" types will really hold their value. At least, that's my experience!

You will always lose money on resale when buying new.

You will rarely lose money on resale when buying a quality used watch at a fair price.

You can make a few dollars on resale by being a patient used watch bargain hunter .
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Foucault71 View Post
    Hello

If we talk about these 300-500€, in lack of better word, "affordable quality" watches like Helsons, Steinharts and whatnot (I don't mean fashion watches like Diesels and etc,) how is their resell value in second hand market?

Lets say few months old used basic ETA-piece in mint or nearly-mint condition, will it keep 80% of its original value, or maybe 60% if you are selling one?

Reason I'm asking becouse it seems to be extremely difficult to find any comparable products of watches that fall into above mentioned categories from eBay or watch forums, propably becouse the ratio of price:quality is pretty good so people people will rather keep them as secondary watches that selling them on.

Best regards,
    Person who has never sold a used watch
    Resale value is highly dependent on condition. If you were able to keep virtually all scratches away and had the boxes and paperwork and a complete watch then a possible markdown could be in the 30% range. If the watch shows scuffs and scratches, is missing bracelet links or is missing the paperwork then expect a 50% markdown or more.

To be honest, I buy watches so they can be worn and not to be carefully kept pristine in a box. There's no fun in just looking.

Because watches bought at retail are typically horrible investments, a focus on resale value will remove some otherwise interesting watches from consideration. It will take the fun out of collecting them in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information