Respectable, "villain" watches with a reputation?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Respectable, "villain" watches with a reputation?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Respectable, "villain" watches with a reputation?

Hey guys,

So as as dude who does business in Germany, Thailand, China and perhaps soon Japan. I know for a fact that these 4 countries have a business culture that has a big basis on respect and at times can be pretty judgemental. Believe it or not, high end watches are pretty popular in all of these countries, and business heads will judge you mercilessly for what you wear and make lots of assumptions on the spot. The banks in Thailand won't even consider talking to you unless you pull up in a Mercedes S Class, and the Chinese will occasionally ask to see your watch, it's not uncommon to see Submariners, IWCs and Daytonas everywhere in Germany.

So, here's an interesting watch related thought experiment. When you envision a powerful, businessy, perhaps shady individual who knows what he's doing, what watch would you envision them wearing assuming they are somewhat interested in watches?

Currently wearing this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 11.09.57 AM.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	14290241

Also, to any other business dudes out there, how do people view vintage watches?

Looking for $10000+ suggestions. Currently considering a vintage 36mm full Day Date (less thank 10k I know), platinum Daytona (perfectly matches me), new white gold 40mm with dark blue dial, that Rose gold Nautilus but without the chronograph or some aquanaut.

Re: Respectable, "villain" watches with a reputation?

Probably a gold Rolex sports watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for your first question regarding a villain watch, to me the Rolex Cellini King Midas stands out. Perfectly matched with Scaramanga in the James Bond movie the man with the golden gun. It wouldn't make a bad choice, as movie buffs and WIS might recognise the connection to the man with the golden gun. Everybody else will see the 18K gold and Rolex name.

If you're looking for 10K+ watches suitable for business wear, I think it will depend on what business your in. A lawyer would wear something a bit more subdued and classical compared to a designer/architect. Considering you travel a lot, I would assume a time zone function is preferred. The A Lange 1 time zone ought to fit the bill. Personally I prefer the look of it over the other offering from A Lange , the Saxonia dual time. The 24 hour subdial makes the GMT hand unnecessary imo.

All of that being said, wear what you want, between all different business cultures and countries, there is no pleasing everybody.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    MikeCrunch likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Powerful, rich villain watch?

Breguet and A. Lange & S. are, for some reason, the two top brands that pop into my mind.

Name:  a-lange-sohne-tourbograph-pour-le-merite-ref-712-050-watch-300x234.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  16.9 KB
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  112.8 KBName:  5317ba_12_9v6.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  103.8 KB
    I raise my hand and touch the wheel of change
    taking time to check the dial

Isn’t that one of the reasons for buying an all gold Sub.

Which patek came with the complication that opened the trap door into the shark tank?
    fish70 and John Price like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchBoi69420420 View Post
    So as as dude who does business in Germany, Thailand, China and perhaps soon Japan. I know for a fact that these 4 countries have a business culture that has a big basis on respect and at times can be pretty judgemental. Believe it or not, high end watches are pretty popular in all of these countries, and business heads will judge you mercilessly for what you wear and make lots of assumptions on the spot. The banks in Thailand won't even consider talking to you unless you pull up in a Mercedes S Class, and the Chinese will occasionally ask to see your watch, it's not uncommon to see Submariners, IWCs and Daytonas everywhere in Germany..
    I can't speak for the other countries, but what you say about Germany makes me wonder if you've ever been here..

My mind immediately goes to the 2-tone Datejust, a la American Psycho. Or, what did Gordon Gekko wear? Some kind of Cartier, I think?
    Casio / C.Ward / Grand Seiko / Hamilton / Junghans / Laco / Nomos / Omega / Panerai / Rolex / Sinn / Timex / Tudor

Quote Originally Posted by WatchBoi69420420 View Post
    So, here's an interesting watch related thought experiment. When you envision a powerful, businessy, perhaps shady individual who knows what he's doing, what watch would you envision them wearing assuming they are somewhat interested in watches?
    If I envisage someone as a twat, I think about their watch about as much as I do about their shoes...

Where else do you do hard-core bidness?

Quote Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
    Which patek came with the complication that opened the trap door into the shark tank?
    Hugo Drax, the Bond villain in Moonraker, probably wore a Calatrava 18K yellow gold...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    FullFlavorPike likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information