A response to my detractors in the " My OCEAN7 LM-1 Arrived Today!" Thread

Thread: A response to my detractors in the " My OCEAN7 LM-1 Arrived Today!" Thread

A response to my detractors in the " My OCEAN7 LM-1 Arrived Today!" Thread

Gentlemen,
    It seems that my dealings have been the subject of some controversy here, and I’d like to have my turn at the lectern.

Firstly, I was truly under the impression that all of the LM-1s had been sold. I do not have the time that many of you seem to have to spend reading, posting, living for and breathing for dive watches on the various forums. Between health issues and work obligations at this time of year, I’ve been forced to cut back on my forum activities extensively. Those of you who know me from the EOT Dive Watch Forum know that I rarely even post there anymore. I would not even have been aware of this string if someone had not alerted me that I was being “trashed.”

If X-Trooper could post:

Thanks, Nick! I thought these watches had been sold out for months as I didn't consider the possibility that some would have backed out. Grab one if you can, amigo!”

Why is it so hard to believe that I would be under the same impression?

Brad, as for your snide comments:

"...my daughter’s $17,000 room, board, and tuition bill..."

Hmmmmmm...I wonder how he forgot about that 17 grand he had to pay when he hit the "Send Money" button on PayPal for the LM-1 a couple of weeks ago!

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter came home from her $17,000 a semester private college, and announced that she was transferring back to her original, local, $6500 a semester college, and I thought, until Christmas Day, when she announced that she wanted to finish the year out back at the big bucks school, that I had some breathing room financially and committed the money elsewhere. I guess you don’t know what it is like to have a college-age child who can’t decide on what he or she wants to do with his or her future. We’ve spent close to $70,000 so far and still don’t have any sense of future security for her.

To top it off, right after placing the order, complete with 2 day UPS that took 6 days, I had an $800 dollar fire under my truck hood that was not covered by warranty, the details of which I shan’t bore you with.

I could say that I wish that I had a care-free, smug life like yours where watches could be the center of existence, but then, I know as little about you as you know about me, and I don’t judge people that I don’t know, no matter how much I think I know.

As far as the pricing goes, yes, I made a profit that helped pay for my truck. I figured the watches were sold out, and somebody would be glad to get one at the public offering price. If I was really trying to profiteer, I would have offered it at more than the public price as many people do with watches, including some people who have posted here. Again, as did X-Trooper, I thought they were sold out. They are a great watch, I didn’t want to sell it, and I’m not as “hip” as “Cool Brad,”

“but you also have to think that anyone who's gonna be interested in getting an LM-1 is hip enough to troll the WUS boards and already know there are still a few available at the release price!”

Funny thing about the price. Several other people besides “mbakes” contacted me about the “error of my ways,” and then always had basically the same punchline as mbakes:

They sold for under $500 originally. I would consider buying it from you but the price would have to be much closer to the original price.”

Apparently, a number of you think very highly of the LM-1 at the initial offering price, but don’t think highly enough of it to buy it at the retail price, but you have no trouble knocking me for re-selling it at the retail price. I find it just a bit hypocritical that you all suck up to Mitch, but aren’t willing to put your money where your mouth is, and buy his watch at his asking price.

I sent him a pm to let him know there were still close to 40 available. I would hate to see Mitch lose a sale because he posted that the LM-1 was sold out.”

Aren’t you the Good Samaritan who’s looking out for Mitch? Well then, put your money where your mouth is, and buy it. You seemed to have had no problem depriving Mitch of a sale if you could have bought one on the cheap from me!

As for not listing the watch on WUS, I don’t ever list any watches on WUS, or on EOT anymore. The photo format on both boards is a pain in the ass when I can list on other boards so much more easily. I don’t have the time or the energy (I’m a fat old man) to fiddle around with a whole different listing format for WUS and EOT. I wasn’t hiding it. Don’t tell me that everyone of you has never made a profit on any watch that you’ve flipped. You know darn well that happens just once in a while, and doesn’t come close to covering all of the losses and bargains that you’ve given people through the years. And so it is with me.

I have bought and sold many watches over the years to many people, some of whom post here, and I have always treated people well. There is not a single one of you who can say that I cheated or lied to you in any way, or that I have done anything less than bend over backwards to get the watch to you as fast as possible, in better shape than advertised, and have gone the extra mile for you.

For example, Cannon, remember the Bond NATO? Why would I become such a bad guy now?

Mitch, I apologize if you feel that I’ve done something wrong. Your watch is a great watch. It still upsets me that I’ve had to let it go. I am not an opportunistic flipper. I have been on the watch scene for a number of years; longer than many of the others around here and on other forums. I just got caught in a major financial crunch due to circumstance and the holidays. The LM-1 did go to a major collector, whom I’m certain will be more than willing to pay the retail price for your future creations once he see the quality of the LM-1. I will bear you no ill will if you feel that I should lose the option of preference on your future watches

Rant over. Fire away boys and girls.

Omega SMP 2589.30 Chrono
    Sub 5000T Professional
    Sub 5000T Caribbean
    Ball Muhle Glashutte SAR
    Ball COSC Diver
    Ball Fireman First Generation
    IWC Aquatimer
    Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic
    Rolex Sub Date
    Rolex Milgauss
    Ocean7 LM-2
    Ocean7 LM-4
    Ocean7 American
    Lum-Tec M38
    TimeFactors Italian LE
    Seiko 6105 IWW/Mk II Mod
    Prometheus Black, Yellow, and Blue Jellyfish. White and 2 PVD Baiji
    Prometheus Ocean Diver

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time. - TS Eliot

Re: A response to my detractors in the " My OCEAN7 LM-1 Arrived Today!" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Boots View Post
    For example, Cannon, remember the Bond NATO? Why would I become such a bad guy now?
    I am not sure what I have to do with you selling your LM-1? I don't remember having a dog in that fight.

I sold you a watch earlier this year and threw in a Bond Nato for free and asked if you didn't want it or if you decided to sell the watch would you be kind enough to toss the strap in the mail back to me. You sold the watch and sent back the strap and I thanked you kindly.

Retired and living in the mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania

Although the sale of the watch was a breach of the sales agreement irrespective of the reasons, I don't see this as the "crime of the century" and, as we all know, ".... happens."

That said, the Dive Watches Forum isn't the proper venue for this discussion as it is way off-topic.

Moved to the Public Forum.
    Steve

My favorite diver? Jessica Alba, of course!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

OK Bootsy...since you signed off with "Fire Away!", here goes...

Was I "snide" by pointing out that you felt the need to bring up your daughter's tuition? I'm sure there are many who would say I probably was, but let's get real for a sec, OK? If you had a 17 grand tuition bill hanging over your head that so taxed your bank account, I would suggest that you should be staying away from temptations like watches for a while! It sounds like you're one "$800 fire under my truck hood" away from bankruptcy!!!

I'm sorry if you felt I was outta line because I didn't give you the understanding pat on the back that you felt you should have received, but I can't fathom why you're spending money on totally unnecessary items like watches if you can't afford them. I accept your explanation that you thought the LM-1 was sold out (especially since I thought they were too) and I could care less if you wanna flip a watch, but don't blame a tuition bill that you knew was pending as the reason why the watch must go! Put the damn thing up for sale and leave it at that.

Finally, as for me being hip & cool...if that's your impression of me I can't change that. I don't have a "normal" lifestyle, but I'm hardly ripping on others that do. I may be care-free, but I don't think I'm particularly smug and watches are far from being the center of my existence, wrong again...wine is holding that position!

BT
    Last edited by Brad Trent; December 31st, 2006 at 18:04.

I dont remember there being an agreement on the LM-1 although I know there is on the LM-2. This isnt a problem for me but if someone is in a bind ease up.

Ordinarily I stay out of spats like these -- particularly when they don't involve me in the least -- but as someone who has recently become a father, I more than understand how life can turn on a dime from a financial standpoint. True, I've got a bit of time before my son is ready for college, but even at this early stage I'm being forced to watch my spending in ways that I had never thought of before. Sure, my wife has always cast a crooked eye at my watch habit, and it's only by the skin of my teeth that I was able to get my PAM 112, but does this mean that I am no longer going to be buying watches? Hell no. Sure, I won't be able to go out and be impulsive with my purchases any more, but just because I'm a dad and the lion's share of my income is going to my child (children in a couple of years, god willing) doesn't mean that I can't be kind to myself once in a while. It sounds to me like Mr. Boots wanted to treat himself to something nice (as a dad should once in a while), and after reviewing the situation, found it possible to do so without breaking the bank. And let's face it, as nice a watch as the LM-1 is, it ain't exactly a Blancpain Fifty-Fathoms Anniversary, so I don't think he was playing with his child's milk money here. But life has a way of intruding sometimes, doesn't it? His daughter changed her mind about college, and all that money he was going to save just flew out the window. Happens all the time (in fact, I did something similar to my parents and they're only just now talking to me again).

I guess all I'm saying here is let's give the guy a break. It's New Year's, it's just a watch (trust me, your priorities change once you have kids), and like Steve said, this ain't exactly the crime of the century. Sure, there's that little clause in the sales contract which makes this whole thing so sticky, but we're talking about one LM-1 here. That's hardly going to effect the company.

Anyway, Happy New Year to all!

Regards,
    Adam

PS - Brad, now that I've got that Panny en route, we're gonna have to talk, no? I might also add that I live in Tribeca during the week, and Weston, CT during the weekend, so that makes three things we have in common now (save for your swinging lifestyle... ).
    DW-002BM-8, DW-003R-9T, DW-5600BB-1ER, DW-5600GLRZ2, DW-5600GRLZM, DW-5700BE, DW-5700SF2, DW-6900-7BUFF, DW-6900MT-7ER, DW-6900CL-4CR, DW-6900KR-8JR, DW-6900FS, DW-6901UD-3ER, DW-8800AB-9T, DW-9100BJ-2A, G-001BE, GA-110DR-1A, GA-111DR-7A, GA-120BB, GD-X6900AL-2, GD-X6900-7TY2, GD-X6900JC, GD-X6900MNM, GD-X6900MH, GDF-100BB, GLX-150-4DR, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000TFG-9, GPR-B1000TLC-1JR, GPW-2000, GST-B100D-1A, GST-200RBG, GT-100, GW-5000-1JF, GW-5530C, GW-9400-1ER, GW-9400-3ER, GW-9430EJ-9JR, GW-9400KJ, GW-9401KJ, GWG-1000, GWM-5600TH-1, GWN-Q1000, GXW-56-3JF, GXW-56-4JF, GXW-56BB-1JF

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Boots View Post
    Funny thing about the price. Several other people besides “mbakes” contacted me about the “error of my ways,” and then always had basically the same punchline as mbakes:

They sold for under $500 originally. I would consider buying it from you but the price would have to be much closer to the original price.”

Apparently, a number of you think very highly of the LM-1 at the initial offering price, but don’t think highly enough of it to buy it at the retail price, but you have no trouble knocking me for re-selling it at the retail price. I find it just a bit hypocritical that you all suck up to Mitch, but aren’t willing to put your money where your mouth is, and buy his watch at his asking price.

I sent him a pm to let him know there were still close to 40 available. I would hate to see Mitch lose a sale because he posted that the LM-1 was sold out.”

Aren’t you the Good Samaritan who’s looking out for Mitch? Well then, put your money where your mouth is, and buy it. You seemed to have had no problem depriving Mitch of a sale if you could have bought one on the cheap from me!
    I would have bought it from you at the original price in a heartbeat. That's why I said it in my pm. What prompted me was your inaccurate statement that they were sold out. You could have re-listed it or edited out the misinformation about the LM-1 being sold out after I told you about it. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake.

You will notice I never accused you of anything. I was merely pointing out the mistake. I am pretty sure Mitch wouldn't have a problem with me or anyone else getting the LM-1 at the introductory price, if available (I know this as he posted as much or maybe it was a pm). Unlike you, I wouldn't post a pm or private message that was sent to me because I believe that's how they should remain, recognizing I have no control over what someone else does. And yes, I would have deprived Mitch of that sale if I could save $250. I also know that I wouldn't buy a limited edition watch at the introductory price then resell it for a profit days after receiving it while at the same time misrepresenting that it was a deal because it was sold out.

If you read the thread where this was discussed you will see I was up front about all of this.

I dont see it now but did see it in the other FS ad that the preorder was sold out and that statement is correct because the preorder was sold out a long time ago. Read the original thread and LaHugh announced that the preorder was sold out.

Both the statement that the "preorder" was sold out and that the molds were broken could lead the unsuspecting to believe that the only way to get the watch would be from this sale, imo. Without qualifying that there were more (4()) available for $25 more was a mistake because it was misleading, again imo. Whether it was intentional or not, I have no idea. I don't believe I suggested it was anything other than a mistake.

Perhaps the better course of action for thr OP would have been to address this in the LM-1 thread and explain it was a mistake instead of starting this thread and trying to make others, including me the bad guy.

Here is his post on The Big Watch Forum:
    "It's killing me to sell this one. I waited for this one, but a major truck repair bill forces me to sell it. It has been wound and set. The plastic was taken off the crystal for the photos. I never put it on because I knew it had to go. The watch is one of a limited edition of 150. They are sold out!! The mold has been broken. The next run of LM-1s will have a slightly modified case. The selling price has been $699 plus S/H. My price is $695 paypal and Shipping included."
    Last edited by mbakes; January 1st, 2007 at 15:28.

Thread Information