Ressence, the platform watch

Thread: Ressence, the platform watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture Ressence, the platform watch

At Baselworld I met with Benoit Mintiens, the owner and designer of the new watch brand Ressence.

His concept is rather interesting. He had two prototypes with him of which I liked the one with the grey dial the best.

The Platform Watch
    Time is dsiplayed by a flush mounted revolving dial that embodies all the graphical elements in one plane under the 3D shaped sapphire glass. The display system features a revolving module driven by a modified automatic Swiss 2824 caliber.

Time seems to be displayed on the outer skin of the watch.

Reading Ergonomics
    This innovative way to present time avoids superimposed information like hands covering an underlying dial, it vuisually prioritises time scales and enhances interface readability based on traditional cognitive patterns applied in watches with hand dials.

The Module
    The revolving dial plate points out the minutes, the lunatic sub-dials inside the main dial plate indicate the hours, seconds and AM-PM. The sub-dials orbit around a virtual axis similar to the moons around Saturn.

Design
    The vanguard design, allying power and sophistication, distinguishes itself through minimalism and timelessness, to approximate the archetype of a watch, emphasing on its main purpose, to display time.

... a contemporary (r)evolution of analogue time presentation.

Details
    Movement: automatic, modified 2824.
    Module: patented system designed & developed by Ressence, bearing, aluminum frame and dial-satellites, Triple bi-axial off-centered integrated & flush mounted orbiting satellites, adjustment system in the crown, 38 jewels.
    Functions: AM-PM, hours, minutes, seconds.
    Case: titanium or steel, diameter 42mm excluding crown, 3D sapphire crystal on both sides with vertical flush mount interface on case. Crown at 3 or 9 o'clock.
    Strap: interchangeable ventilated straps with four screws mounted on the case with steel folding clasp. Natural calf or buffalo hand-sewn leather, rubber or carbon finish.

Related link: www.ressence.eu
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

Re: Ressence, the platform watch

complicated, but interesting! Don't like the dial that much though... it's a bit too plain and what is the hand-symbol for??

I like it a lot! Nice clean dial & readability is high on my requirements for a watch. I suspect that it will be priced out of my range though. So many cool timepieces are. Hopefully the concept will trickle down to some affordable pieces. Never heard of 3D sapphire. Do you need special glasses?
    I love that this industry is in such a creative mode & there are so many people who can afford to buy expensive watches to support the development of many of the cool designs I see.
    Cheers,
    kev
    I just think that things should work the way I expect them to.
    Conroe, Texas

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very cool.

I'm not normally a fan of such complications but, for some reason, that one looks very nice.

OK, now that's interesting. And the non-cluttered design is a plus too.

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro View Post
    ... and what is the hand-symbol for??
    It's their symbol.

About this watch, first impression told me, "Now this is a cool watch with a cool concept!". But the more I paid attention to it the more I found it harder to read because now I have to track three different sections of the dial to read the time instead of one.

v76

Really nice concept, but staring at the rotating dials will make me feel dizzy after a while. I'll be so fascinated that I can't look away!

Ok, a bit of an exaggeration since the only subdial that will be rotating perceptibly fast is the seconds one ... I do appreciate the out-of-the-box thinking though, excellent!
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Looks really interesting.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

Couple of pictures taken at Baselworld. Me and Mr. Mintiens and his creations.

Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

I love it. Nice to see a modern take on the old regulateur layout.
    Warmest regards,

Aaron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information