Retired guys with nice watches but...
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Retired guys with nice watches but...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Retired guys with nice watches but...

So you’ve got a few nice watches and have settled into retired life. No more meetings, no business travel, it’s now shorts or jeans and tee shirts, seldom dress up anymore. Go out to dinner once or twice a week but suddenly you may feel your watches are out of place or think why am I wearing an Omega to go to the grocery store? While I have never bought a watch to impress anyone, I sometimes wonder if it’s really worth it to own higher level watches like Omega when you really seldom go anywhere where the watch really fits in like it did when you see working. Just curious if you held onto your higher level watches after you retired, bought more or found yourself content to wearing lower cost watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Retired guys with nice watches but...

I’m not yet in your position, but that’s why they have sport watches. I see nothing wrong and frequently wear my Rolex YM and Subs, Omega RM and AT with shorts and a collared shirt (very rarely wear Ts outisde house) for all kinds of informal settings, e.g. grocery store, movies, etc. I wear the dress pieces when in a suit 5 days a week. So, I can understand dropping the gilt and DJs, but not to do so for true sports pieces at the higher end, even in the most casual of venues. No need to dumb it down or get rid of the haute horology.
    Last edited by playinwittime; September 11th, 2018 at 19:49.

I’m so close to retirement I can almost taste it but when I do finish I’ll be hanging on to my watches because they are for me to enjoy and that won’t change when I retire.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like you need a Doxa and Pina Colada!

Name:  pina-colada.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  577.8 KB

Happy what I have, but you gotta look good as a 'mall geezer'.
    Cpt Canuck likes this.

I retire in a few months, and with that in mind, for the last year or two I have been downsizing my collection to a very few--I just won't need them anymore. One that I have kept is quite expensive, but I love it, and though I don't wear it so much, I enjoy having it, and wearing to those occasional night outs, interactions with present and former colleagues, weddings (and funerals...), etc. Otherwise though, the few that I have kept for basic day-to-day life are quite modest, price-wise, where I couldn't justify having more than one "nice" watch on hand--I certainly am not going to sit around and stare at my watches all day, so, virtually all of my higher level watches have been shown the door, save one.
    LosAngelesTimer and Dan T. like this.

Funny enough, I just bought my dad a Rolex OP for his retirement present and I feel like it is going to sit in his safe 90% of the time.

I hope he wears it often, as I hope you wear your Omega proudly in retirement, because part of the joy of watches is wearing what you want, where you want, whenever you want.

nowhere close to retiring but i already wear tshirt and jeans to work every day, i have no need to wear a watch for work & nobody in my life cares about what's on my wrist.

if i get to the grocery store without my watch i just feel like it's missing. my watch is for me to enjoy, not to influence anyone else's opinion about me. if i cuff my shirt to flash some wrist, i'm totally just flashing myself.

i can't imagine this changing in retirement, unless i just lose interest in watches altogether (doubt it).

My watches always fit in wherever I am, because they are on MY wrist. Any SS tool watch should fit in at any daily activity, imo.

Doc Savage
    Radharc likes this.
    Currently getting the most wrist time: Oris Aquis Hulk

Retired three years ago.
    Unless I'm doing yard work or banging around the garage I wear whatever I feel like wearing. Dressy or tool doesn't matter. Most of the public won't notice or care plus who cares what anyone else thinks?
    It helps that almost none of my watches are gold or very blingy anyway.
    cfracing likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information