reverse/backwards movements?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: reverse/backwards movements?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

reverse/backwards movements?

After a quick search on the forums I cannot find a recent (non necro-ed) thread on this so I thought I would ask in a new one.

I know there were/are a few reverse/backwards/"goofy"/counter clockwise mechanical movements out there (where the hands move "backwards" or counter-clockwise). Raketa seems to have one currently though the watch is in a very specific style (and difficult to obtain in the USA) and I was looking for a less busy dial perhaps.

I wanted to know if there were any other non-quartz movements/watches that move in a counter clockwise fashion currently in production out there.

Thanks in advance.
    Current Collection: Cartier Tank Francaise, Celadon Imperial, JLC MUT Jubilee, JLC Reverso GT Shadow, JLC Reverso TT1931, JLC MUT Small Second 38.5, JLC Polaris Automatic, Rolex Explorer (2016), Tag Heuer Carrera

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...aTvU53LCRO7rcs

Re: reverse/backwards movements?

Take a look at the Franck Muller "Crazy Hours". It doesn't run backwards--it has the hours placed in a somewhat random order, and the hour hand jumps from 1 to 2 to 3, etc., when you get to the next hour. A youtube video will show what I mean. Not quite a "backwards" movement, but just as weird.

Thanks! Looks very neat and is weird but too flashy in some ways and too subtle in others for what I was looking for.
    Current Collection: Cartier Tank Francaise, Celadon Imperial, JLC MUT Jubilee, JLC Reverso GT Shadow, JLC Reverso TT1931, JLC MUT Small Second 38.5, JLC Polaris Automatic, Rolex Explorer (2016), Tag Heuer Carrera

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There is the Azimuth Back in Time series with its unique Azimuth-designed movement that has special gears for anti-clockwise motion.

https://www.azimuthwatch.com/product/back-in-time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Saw this earlier today as well. Very cool and probably a contender if I could get one especially the no-date version though I am wondering if I would want a seconds hand or not. Thank you again!

Interesting concept. As a one-hander that could actually work for me.

I don't have any mechanical suggestions ... seems like yacht/regatta timer territory to me however.
    I do have 2 quartz analog watches that blew my mind when I owned them: Gavox Aurora and Timex IQ Yacht Racer. There are lots of interesting quartz watches out there, but these (IMO) are in a league of their own.

Name:  Gavox-Aurora-pic-03-060318.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  103.4 KB
    This uses a custom Soprod "meca-tronic" movement that moves the handset both clockwise and counter-clockwise depending on the mode. In countdown timer mode, they run backwards, and then wave at you to serve as an alarm. The sub-dial at 9 provides a retrograde running seconds as well as date indicator, moon phase, and a 31-hour register.

Name:  timex-yachtracer-storepic.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  42.5 KB
    Yeah, like a pizza exploded on the dial, but once you look past the Picasso-esque arrangement, you realize how cleverly arranged it is. Check out the positioning of the right side sub-dial's 1-5 numerals, and then take a look on the left sub-dial, with the 5/3/1 at the 9:00 position. The chrono-second hand moves both directions; on long flights I'd sync the central second hand w/the chrono hand in countdown mode and watch them race each other around the dial ... yes, I'm pretty easily entertained.

It's a good question for a thread, and I'll be following along, but sometimes it's good to be reminded that some affordable quartz analog movements can do things that are all but impossible in a mechanical movement (or at least a mechanical that costs less than a car) with superior accuracy. The TAG Caliber S, the Certina Precidrive HAQ ETA 251.264, the Timex IQ, Bulova's 262 kHz movements are all in a class of their own, and anyone who exclusively prefers mechanical movements might be pleasantly surprised at how great these watches are.
    yankeexpress likes this.

The Franck Muller Remember is the purest example of what you're looking for.

Photo from the Franck Muller website:

Name:  7880-SC-Remember-brasnoir-5N_1556847567855.png
Views: 26
Size:  629.7 KB
    Citlalcoatl likes this.

I keep thinking of that old episode of M*A*S*H where Frank Burns corners the local Korean and says; "Hey! That watch you sold me runs backwards!"
    To which he replies: "Wear on other wrist!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vioviv View Post
    I don't have any mechanical suggestions ... seems like yacht/regatta timer territory to me however.
    I do have 2 quartz analog watches that blew my mind when I owned them: Gavox Aurora and Timex IQ Yacht Racer. There are lots of interesting quartz watches out there, but these (IMO) are in a league of their own.

Name:  Gavox-Aurora-pic-03-060318.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  103.4 KB
    This uses a custom Soprod "meca-tronic" movement that moves the handset both clockwise and counter-clockwise depending on the mode. In countdown timer mode, they run backwards, and then wave at you to serve as an alarm. The sub-dial at 9 provides a retrograde running seconds as well as date indicator, moon phase, and a 31-hour register.

Name:  timex-yachtracer-storepic.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  42.5 KB
    Yeah, like a pizza exploded on the dial, but once you look past the Picasso-esque arrangement, you realize how cleverly arranged it is. Check out the positioning of the right side sub-dial's 1-5 numerals, and then take a look on the left sub-dial, with the 5/3/1 at the 9:00 position. The chrono-second hand moves both directions; on long flights I'd sync the central second hand w/the chrono hand in countdown mode and watch them race each other around the dial ... yes, I'm pretty easily entertained.

It's a good question for a thread, and I'll be following along, but sometimes it's good to be reminded that some affordable quartz analog movements can do things that are all but impossible in a mechanical movement (or at least a mechanical that costs less than a car) with superior accuracy. The TAG Caliber S, the Certina Precidrive HAQ ETA 251.264, the Timex IQ, Bulova's 262 kHz movements are all in a class of their own, and anyone who exclusively prefers mechanical movements might be pleasantly surprised at how great these watches are.
    Congrats! You beat me to it on both of these incredible quartz watches of european (swiss and german) designs.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information