Review of Jaeger Lecoutlre Geophysic True Second in steel
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Review of Jaeger Lecoutlre Geophysic True Second in steel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Review of Jaeger Lecoutlre Geophysic True Second in steel

It’s not very often that I feel compelled to do a watch review. My very first watch review was for Grand Seiko SBGA109 limited edition. The GS is an absolute gem in its price range. I recently acquired the JLC true second in stainless steel; similar to the GS, this watch is perhaps the best value for money in high watch making. This watch along with the GS represents what I genuinely feel is a great quality per price ratio timepiece.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  92.2 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender_1.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  117.9 KB

The case/dial - The case of the true second is modernly proportioned at 39.6 mm in width excluding the crown and 11.8 mm in height. It’s a bit bulky compared to most traditional high end dress watches, but the dead beat second complication does add thickness to the movement. The bezel is highly polished. The lugs are highly polished as well with multi-faceted surfaces. The shape of the lugs is very linear making them more aggressive compared to other JLC’s traditional offerings. I find the finely brushed case side to be a very nice touch adding refinement to the already well made case.
    The dial is silvery toned and the grained texture makes it elegant and sophisticated. The indices are rectangular and the hands are baton-shaped with luminescence fill; luminescence dots are laid on the outer rim close to each index making the timepiece highly legible at night. The lume lasts much longer in the dark than expected rendering outstanding nighttime visibility.

Name:  IMG_2796(1).JPG
Views: 1327
Size:  84.4 KB
    Strap/Clasp - The leather strap is heavily padded adding its durability for daily wear. The clasp has a triple folding mechanism. The JLC motif embossed on the buckle is enlarged and more prominent compared to what’s on the pin buckle of my JLC MUT.
    Name:  FullSizeRender_2.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  86.2 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender_3.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  108.1 KB

Movement - IMHO JLC caliber 770 is what separates this timepiece from its competitions. For under 10K, you get a nicely and modernly structured movement with great depth and a skeletonized gold rotor plus JLC’s proprietary gyrolab balance wheel . The beveled edges are not hand polished but that alone does not make the movement any less impressive. The rotor sound is audible very similar to JLC 925 and PP 324 SC; the winding efficiency is quite good. Caliber 770 is definitely a step up from caliber 925 in terms of movement decoration. JLC upped the ante this time in the movement aesthetics department. I would rate the finishing of this caliber slightly less than Breguet 517gg or AP 3120. The only shortcoming is in the non-hand polished beveled edges, but the true second is a lot less pricey compared to the Breguet or the AP. The full balance bridge is also a plus and should prove itself more reliable for daily wear.
    IMHO JLC has put together an outstanding package that’s both classic and modern with a hard-to-beat quality to price ratio. At price level comparable to a Rolex, the JLC offers a worthy entrance to the world of high horology. Bravo JLC!
    Last edited by Snoopy_dude; December 27th, 2015 at 12:03.
    omeglycine, Radharc, v76 and 19 others like this.

Re: Review of Jaeger Lecoutlre Geophysic True Second in steel

Great review! I saw this in the steel a few weeks ago at my JLC boutique. Fantastic watch, especially if you look at how much you're getting for the price. Seeing that ticking second hand even though it's mechanical is pretty crazy too. Pretty jealous cause I wanted to pick it up haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Snoopy_dude likes this.

Thanks for the review. I think the deadbeat seconds is quite cool.. I just saw an IWC Ingenieur 666AD and finally understand where JLC got those hands from. If I didn't already have the master control and the TT geophysic 1958, I would have no qualms getting this one.
    Snoopy_dude likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Awesome watch!
    Snoopy_dude likes this.
    Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy watches.

Thank you for the review and the great pictures. I've been eyeballing this watch online since it first came out, but my local JLC dealer doesn't carry much stock. Maybe someday...

Jeff
    Snoopy_dude likes this.

Banned

I must admit the strongest aspect of this particular watch is the finished movement's aesthetics. They really do a good job this time. The rest I care little for.
    Snoopy_dude likes this.

Superb watch!
    Snoopy_dude likes this.
    Regards,
    Justinus

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
    Thank you for the review and the great pictures. I've been eyeballing this watch online since it first came out, but my local JLC dealer doesn't carry much stock. Maybe someday...

Jeff
    It's been out only for a few months, hopefully they'll be making their way to the ADs soon. Definitely check out the timepiece when they arrive at your local AD!

I prefer this model aesthetically to the standard Geophysic, and I agree that the movement construction, level of finish, and the dead beat seconds make this a compelling value. Along with offerings from Habring, it is nice to see this interesting complication represented in the new watch market.

Thanks for taking the time to share an excellent review.
    Snoopy_dude likes this.

Thank you for your review and congratulations!
    Snoopy_dude likes this.
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information