Reykjavik watches
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kansha

Thread: Reykjavik watches

Reykjavik watches

Hello all

I was recently in Reykjavik Iceland for my 25th wedding Anniversary celebration for a week.
    I highly recommend going there as the scenery is incredible and the people friendly and beautiful.

Here is a pic of Old Reykjavik from their central church tower:

Name:  P1011119.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  140.8 KB

While there, I visited both of the excellent Watchmakers, Michelsen and JS Watch, but surprising to me, only brief visits.

I admit I am a bit of a dummy: for each Watchmaker, the people I met were most welcoming, most passionate about watches, and very friendly towards someone who was 'just looking'.
    But I didn't take many pictures! And none of their own watches! Almost unforgivable really as the people really made the experiences and their own watches were the real story.

Oh well, I will write what I do have I guess.

At Michelsen, Michelsen śrsmišir I met Magnus and Frank (Jr) Michelsen. It is a family business.
    Both very real, authentic people. Passionate about watches in general.

I did have a small point-and-shoot camera with me on my 1st visit, so as they are an AD for Romane Jerome, I snapped a few of pics.
    (I have a friend that covets one, although not to my own taste)

Name:  DSC00011ss.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  145.8 KB

Name:  DSC00012ss.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  184.7 KB

Name:  DSC00013ss.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  128.9 KB

Frank (Jr) even wore the same watch as my own Yachtmaster daily-wearer:
    (How often do I see *that* in the wild? = never)
    Name:  DSC00014ss.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  136.1 KB

I visited Michelsen twice, hoping on the 2nd visit that there was something I could justify buying but I had already bought my wife a blue diamond ring as an anniversary gift with a dinner at Reykjavik's finest restaurant, the Perlan (Pearl in Icelandic) so my budget was directed elsewhere. Amazing (!!!) service and food there. Not inexpensive but a fine experience.

On our last day leaving, Frank Michelsen (Jr) saw my wife and I standing near their store and came outside to the sidewalk to chat and inevitably to say 'Au Revoir'.
    Just willing to chat with a fellow watch enthusiast. I really felt his personal warmth.

I visited JS Watch Collection ā€” JS Watch Company Reykjavik on my first day and somehow didn't make it back.
    Don't know why as I met Sigurdur Gilbertsson and he was also friendly, passionate and welcoming!

I was showed the JS Watch back room workspace and a new watch model which is not yet announced.
    Beautiful. Really beautiful. I cannot say more. Visit them or watch their Facebook page I guess.

Thank you to all the people of Iceland that we encountered; without fail warm and friendly and quirky and really made our visit great!
    Last edited by Kansha; October 25th, 2014 at 00:35.
    Armchair likes this.

Re: Reykjavik watches

Photos would have been good I was fortunate enough to visit Iceland about 15 years ago. It's a beautiful place. I'd love to go back.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

Re: Reykjavik watches

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair View Post
    Photos would have been good I was fortunate enough to visit Iceland about 15 years ago. It's a beautiful place. I'd love to go back.
    I re-upped the photos I had in the original post - it had timed out while I was writing it - so hopefully you can see the few I have anyways.