Ridiculous things you heard from sales associates n what was your reaction? My story...
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Ridiculous things you heard from sales associates n what was your reaction? My story...

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Ridiculous things you heard from sales associates n what was your reaction? My story...

I have to vent after my experience tonight at a local AD who carries some decent watches. I actually was not on the hunt tonight but out n about with the wife, we drove by a store I like to frequent n asked her to pull over so I can get a glance at any new pieces they may of gotten in. They had some interesting watches by Ebel so I asked to try on a few pieces. The sales associate was very friendly and seemed like he took a general interest in watches and commented on my Explorer 2. He asked "is that the new Explorer 2?" I said yes and he asked to see it as he never seen one in person before. I said sure and as he was closely examining he said it looks a lot better in person and gave me some nice compliments. I noticed he had a Hublot Big Bang on. It looked like a nice looking watch, not something I would personally buy but I appreciated the aesthetics of it and gave him a compliment on his choice of watch. Then I could not believe my ears of what I heard next. In a slightly condescending tone he said "I like Rolex but since they only started making their own movements a little over a year ago, I can't see spending that much on one since it has the same movement as so many other brands" . I just looked at him like a deer in headlights. There was so much going on in my head at that time I almost had an overload. My wife seen my awe and before i could get out a word she quietly said "just let it go". I said thank you for letting me try on these watches, nice meeting you have a good night. I'm glad I took the wife's advise as there was no way I could of politely told him he could not be anymore further from the truth and where did he get this information from!? I dont want to be a jerk so even though I wanted to say something, i just walked away. Has anyone else had some really misinformed salespeople say some whacky things and what was your reaction when it happened? Do you correct these things nicely, rudely or just yes them and say its not worth your time? Please share your stories. Did I do the right thing or possibly do a disservice to him by not trying to explain to him?
    -JP

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Re: Ridiculous things you heard from sales associates n what was your reaction? My story...

Being rude is never acceptable. Especially with something as insignificant as watches. I wouldn't even correct. To what end?
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Re: Ridiculous things you heard from sales associates n what was your reaction? My story...

I admire your restraint! To a savvy salesman (lack of product knowledge notwithstanding), walking away like you did sends a pretty clear message. Hopefully he got the subtle hint and did some fact checking later on. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

The best is when they're obviously regurgitating really crappy guidance from other customers. One sales person asked me, as I was trying on a 300m diver, "did you know none of these watches is really intended for actual diving? I guess the glass will break if you go deeper than like 10 feet."
    JPfeuffer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I mean..was it that serious? A silly statement but nothing to get worked up about IMO
    ShaggyDog and Conky like this.

I think you took the right attitude. Sometines is better to just let go. Otherwise, it's a wate of time; doesn't worth it.
    Last edited by CMTFR; October 14th, 2013 at 05:18.

When I'm watch, car, etc., shopping I have already done my homework and just assume I know more than the salesman. If they make a factual misstatement I don't bother to correct them because I want the best price and service. I have nothing to prove.

My reaction was more surprise then anything. I won't/can't get upset or worked up over someone's opinion or bad information about a watch. My description of my reaction is more humor based i should make that clear but I was indeed surprised at his statement. Then again it wasn't a Rolex AD I suppose that would of been worse.
    omeglycine likes this.
    -JP

Banned

IMO, that's why none of the salesmen know anything... it's on purpose. nothing to get pissed about, you can use it to your advantage. but, picture this scenario

he says that about rolex... some guy with more money than sense agrees, and he gets him to drop 20k on a hublot as opposed to 10k on a Rolex. at the end of the day he's as dumb as a doorknob but it works to his advantage. it's weird but it works, i've seen it at work, with cars, with watches... in this day in age when you can whip out your iphone and research anything, people still get a veil pulled over their eyes...
    JPfeuffer and Will_f like this.

I have a BAD (and I know it) habit of correcting salespeople much to the consternation of my wife. In the big picture this is really a non-issue since it was not a Rolex you were looking at. My real issue is AD's not knowing THIER brands. The worst example was in a Torbillion where 3 sales associates in tandem couldn't answer a simple question about an in stock watch. When I have to be buzzed in the door and the sales staff runs around with gloves on I expect them to know their wares. Also it is just a 3187 movement, those come in Invictas now right?

Let him expresses his intellectual and you did right for up holding yours tight, by letting him go
    JPfeuffer likes this.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information