Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

Thread: Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8

    Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

    Hello, Everyone I have recently Inherited my fathers watch collection about 200 watches but his pride and joy was his 6238. When I received the watch the side winder comes out of the case and I was wondering if anyone knew how serious of a problem this is? the watch works perfectly but I want to get it fixed. my father was always scared to send it out. he thought everyone wanted to take his baby. any help would be great. do I need to send to an authorized Rolex repair or are other watch companies competent to fix this oldie?


    Thanks Marc
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    stuffler,mike
    Guest

    Re: Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

    As far as I can judge from the pic the watch is ready for a complete overhaul (dial, hands, markers). I'd consult a Rolex AD.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    827

    Re: Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

    I agree with Mike and your watch is well worth the investment. I can't remember the name of the repair shop, but there's a guy in Philadelphia who does restorations. His first name is Mark. Dose anyone have the name of his website?

    This guy has been one one of the watchmakers of choice since Rolex really doesn't handle the older repairs.
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Conroe, Texas
    Posts
    356

    Looks clean to me. What do you see?

    >>
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    As far as I can judge from the pic the watch is ready for a complete overhaul (dial, hands, markers). I'd consult a Rolex AD.

  6. #5
    stuffler,mike
    Guest

    Re: Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

    Take a closer look on the hands (luminous compound felt off which is quite visible imho), look at the lumi dots, they need to be replaced, the dial should be refreshed.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8

    Re: Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

    hey guy's thanks for the info!
    Does anyone know if the winder out of the case is a big repair?

    thanks

  8. #7
    stuffler,mike
    Guest

    Re: Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

    Quote Originally Posted by antiqueartifacts View Post
    hey guy's thanks for the info!
    Does anyone know if the winder out of the case is a big repair?

    thanks
    Not necessarily but you have to lift the back to be sure what happened. A Rolex repair is never a cheap thing though. A complete overhaul can go up in price very fast. I'd ask for a cost estimate.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    827

    Re: Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

    Just an FYI for you...The part that you actually turn is called the crown. The part that the crown is afixed to and is inserted into the case & movement, is called the stem.

    Good luck with the watch. Did he have any other interesting watches?
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

  10. #9
    Member dalstott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    789

    Re: Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

    Your father had very good taste. These are now being auctioned in the $25000.00 range so it is an heirloom worth keeping in the family.


  11. #10
    Member dalstott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    789

    Re: Rolex 6238 Chronograph Winder out!

    Quote Originally Posted by antiqueartifacts View Post
    Hello, Everyone I have recently Inherited my fathers watch collection about 200 watches but his pride and joy was his 6238. When I received the watch the side winder comes out of the case and I was wondering if anyone knew how serious of a problem this is? the watch works perfectly but I want to get it fixed. my father was always scared to send it out. he thought everyone wanted to take his baby. any help would be great. do I need to send to an authorized Rolex repair or are other watch companies competent to fix this oldie?


    Thanks Marc

    You might want to post this inquiry on one of the Rolex forums to get another perspective.

    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...eadt&frm_id=63

    https://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 86
      Last Post: November 2nd, 2019, 05:47
    2. Replies: 53
      Last Post: June 1st, 2007, 05:36
    3. FS: ROLEX!!! Many models to choose from! Look Inside!
      By TWCmike in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: November 15th, 2006, 20:35
    4. FS: Rolex Tiger Tudor Chronograph
      By likeswatches in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: November 12th, 2006, 00:05
    5. FS: Best Damn Rolex Reference Book / Guide... Special Father's Day SALE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
      By IQ Rolex in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: June 5th, 2006, 01:25

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •