Rolex and all that writing on the dial.
Like Tree371Likes

Thread: Rolex and all that writing on the dial.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I always thought that Rolex puts too much writing on their dials, but this morning I was browsing their website and I came across this thing:

Oyster Perpetual Date? As if we couldn't figure out the watch has a date window?

Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified? I can understand bragging about that but did they really need to tell us that it was certified? Officially Certified? Is there any other kind of certified?

And to crown it all off, in large font on the rehaut:
    "Original Gas Escape Valve" and "Ring Lock System". They felt the need to tell us that not only does it have a gas escape valve but that they were the first ones to do it?

I think they should add the power reserve and beats-per-minute on the dial too while they're at it, and maybe the operating instructions and customer service number on the case back.

They really screwed-up an otherwise superb watch. Reminds me of low-end cars that try to impress by telling you in big letters: DOHC 16V Fuel Injected Twin Turbo.

It is cheesy, doesn't belong on an expensive watch and certainly not from one of the most respected brands in the world. Smacks of teenagers with self-esteem problems. Or are they really aiming these watches at those who want to impress the gallery?

Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't help myself. I assume the Rolex police will break-down my door any minute now.
    Last edited by sduford; August 2nd, 2014 at 14:33.
    Archimede Pilot 42H, Chr.Ward C60 Trident Pro, Dan Henry 1964 GT, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Melbourne Flinders & Portsea, Orient Bambino, PerpetuaL R-01, Seiko's SRPC93 & SNE498, Szanto 1204, Traser H3 Classic Master, Vostok Amphibia, WUS F72 GMT.

Web: Crown & Rotor, IG: @crownandrotor FB: @crownandrotor

Re: Rolex and all that writing on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by sduford View Post
    I assume the Rolex police will break-down my door any minute now.
    Or the Troll police.

Quote Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
    Or the Troll police.
    For sure.
    IG - watchbrisman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Rather than say its "aiming these watches at those who have no taste", maybe it's just aimed at those who have different tastes to you. Personally I like the watch

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedpony View Post
    Rather than say its "aiming these watches at those who have no taste", maybe it's just aimed at those who have different tastes to you. Personally I like the watch
    Yeah, maybe that was a little strong, I corrected it. But I would love it too, if it didn't have all that cheesy writing on it.
    Last edited by sduford; August 2nd, 2014 at 14:33.
    emaja and Deledda like this.
    Archimede Pilot 42H, Chr.Ward C60 Trident Pro, Dan Henry 1964 GT, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Melbourne Flinders & Portsea, Orient Bambino, PerpetuaL R-01, Seiko's SRPC93 & SNE498, Szanto 1204, Traser H3 Classic Master, Vostok Amphibia, WUS F72 GMT.

Web: Crown & Rotor, IG: @crownandrotor FB: @crownandrotor

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedpony View Post
    Yup...I agree. And I don't really like the watch. Advertising features on watches is done because it sells watches. My diminutive 1950's Sandoz hand wind proclaims it is waterproof, tropicalized, anti-magnetic, stainless steel, Swiss and has 17 Rubis. For some reason they left shock proof off.
    Last edited by John MS; August 2nd, 2014 at 14:40.

I can take take the text on the dial, it's the engraving on the chapter ring that kills this watch for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Don't you love all the different fonts they use too?
    sduford likes this.
    Present: ROLEX Hulk Submariner, Pepsi GMT 16750 & 2T Datejust 1601 * PANERAI Radiomir PAM183 * IWC Ingenieur Mission Earth * BREITLING Navitimer Olympus * SEIKO Orange Monster * TISSOT PRC200 * SWATCH '86 Lancelot

Past: BREITLING Super Avenger (Sold)
    * OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean XL (Sold) * SEVENFRIDAY P3-1 (Sold) * SEIKO Black Monster (Traded) & Fifty-Five Fathoms Mod (Sold) * HAMILTON '60 Masterpiece Thin-o-matic (Sold)

Hunting:
    AP RO 15400

The Grail (Someday): Patek Philippe Aquanaut

Time is too precious to measure with a cheap watch * The greatest luxury in life is time. Savour every second.

Well, it's either 'Original gas escape valve - Ring lock system' or 'Rolex' engraved 12 times on the rehaut, so take your pick.

As Watchbreath would say, "It's that time of the week again"
    drhr, Pinkelle21 and sirgilbert357 like this.

I like it.
    IG - watchbrisman

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information