Rolex- Good value?
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Rolex- Good value?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Rolex- Good value?

I have been looking for a new watch for a few months after selling on a couple of watches that to be honest didn't really get worn too much, I have come to realise that I would prefer to have two or three good watches than five or six ok watches, even if it does limit my interest / desire to collect.

I now have my Nomos Orion Weiss which I will never sell. It's the first good watch I ever purchased, the watch I wore when I got married and I love the Nomos brand, their products are great quality.

My other watch, that will not be leaving is the Damasko DA44. I purchased this off eBay for a bargain price, with the intention of selling it on if I didn't like it, as they are not stocked in many shops and I had never tried one on. Anyway after changing the strap the watch is surprisingly versatile and looks very good on the wrist and is th watch I wear at the weekend with casual clothes (although it looks good with anything other than a suit). It really is a remarkable watch, virtually indistructuble, the watch is two and a half years old and still looks like I've just taken it out the box and is also keeping perfect time. It's really nice to have a watch that is quality and yet I don't need to baby in the slightest due to its case hardening. To top it off they are very good value, not to knock Bremont but I would say the watch is technically superior or at least it's equal for a third of the cost. If you are unaware of the tech within a Damasko watch have a quick google and read up on the watch and you will be amazed how they can sell the watch for even half the price- well regulated movements, the best case hardening available in the market, anti magnetic, ceramic ball bearing bezels, self sealing, self lubricating crowns etc..................

Anyway onto the point of the post for my new watch my criteria was for a classic timeless watch I could wear with almost anything, great quality, a reasonable size and hopefully something with an in house movement or at least of some horological quality. To be honest as a lot of people on this forum seem to (at least early on in collecting) I have always discounted Rolex as a slightly vulgar (in some cases) over priced brand who cater for people who care more about image and what's on their wrist signifies (wealth) rather than its quality.

Anyway to cut a long story short I have just ordered the new 39mm Oyster Peretual with the grey / silver sunburst dial. While price is not the only consideration and the watch is certainly not cheap, I do actually consider these to be decent value, which is surprising.

When you actually look at the options and my requirements other than perhaps Nomos not many brands can better the price for what you get and wondered what other brands meet the criteria below for less?

- European made
    - in house, accurate movement
    - classic, timeless design
    - High quality, well machined polished bracelet + case
    - A watch that could be a genuine heirloom.

(I know you could say something like the Omega Aqua Terra could meet these criteria but to me the overall design just doesn't look timeless, they seem to persist on changing the design every few years, not always for the better and to me they haven't quite got the confidence in their designs to stick with it, in the same way Rolex do. I feel this is quite detrimental to the brand (I know you could mention some very garish Rolex watches, but I am focusing on their core collection). Minus a few models I feel today's Omegas in ten years will look dated, I don't think the Rolex will).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by jonobailey; September 25th, 2015 at 23:10.
    Nomos Orion Weiss
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual- Rhodium
    Tudor Heritage Chronograph
    Damasko DC66
    Damasko DSub1
    Damasko DS30
    Stowa Partitio Black

Re: Rolex- Good value?

Congrats on the OP. The new dials and size look great. Rolex often gets slammed for their pricing, but they're not that bad when you look at the retail prices for Cartier, Omega, Panerai and IWC. The Omega fans and anti-Rolex folks are gonna fillet you though;)

Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    Congrats on the OP. The new dials and size look great. Rolex often gets slammed for their pricing, but they're not that bad when you look at the retail prices for Cartier, Omega, Panerai and IWC. The Omega fans and anti-Rolex folks are gonna fillet you though;)
    at least Rolex isn't a hopped Swatch *LOL*
    I went from wanting a Rolex cuz it's a Rolex to not wanting a Rolex because everyone else seemed to want a Rolex back to wanting a Rolex because it is genuinely a good watch.
    Seaswirl, mleok, BGPT23 and 9 others like this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There is no other brand that I can think of that meets your requirements.
    Last edited by T1meout; September 26th, 2015 at 03:18.

Quote Originally Posted by chuasam View Post
    I went from wanting a Rolex cuz it's a Rolex to not wanting a Rolex because everyone else seemed to want a Rolex back to wanting a Rolex because it is genuinely a good watch.
    You're certainly not alone. I think a lot of folks travel a similar path. Now go get that Explorer I!

Quote Originally Posted by chuasam View Post
    Pretty much describes my route to owning a Rolex, although I missed your first stage. They are definitely over priced if your just buying the watch for its name, but if you are genuinely interested in watches, their quality, the movement within, their history etc it's a different value proposition.
    GazDXB likes this.
    Nomos Orion Weiss
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual- Rhodium
    Tudor Heritage Chronograph
    Damasko DC66
    Damasko DSub1
    Damasko DS30
    Stowa Partitio Black

Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    You're certainly not alone. I think a lot of folks travel a similar path. Now go get that Explorer I!
    Not getting it till October 16th, 2019 (yes I am that precise, and yes I know I have a problem) but God knows how much they're gonna cost then.
    The 39mm Oyster with the dark grey dial is tempting too
    Name:  rolex-TGJ.02.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  AnalogShift_Rolex_ExporerIa.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  23.0 KB
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

There are literally millions of people willing to pay their prices, so my guess is that they are priced just right.

Quote Originally Posted by jonobailey View Post
    Minus a few models I feel today's Omegas in ten years will look dated, I don't think the Rolex will).
    You answered your own question, it seems ....
    This spring, I will do Everest without oxygen. I did all my peaks without oxygen except Everest. I just want to continue be happy, doing what I love—climbing mountains.
    Edurne Pasaban Lizarribar

I use to think that they were grossly overpriced. These days I think they are just overpriced.

Didn't stop me from getting two.

These days I own just the SubC, like your OP, you can wear it everywhere. The upside of not being a cutting edge design is that it will never date.

Congratulations, Rolex make fantastic watches, overpriced but fantastic.

I do secretly want an OP with a blue or grape dial. Can't justify it though.
    Last edited by Johnb1; September 25th, 2015 at 23:52.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information