WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolex make money mostly from people who know nothing about watch !

16K views 313 replies 119 participants last post by  Bradjhomes 
#1 ·
Today I visit an AD since he give me a big deal

And when we having a chat, he tell me that most of the Rolex (and some-how Patek Phillipe) sales in his store come from a people who know nothing about watch or who are not collector or addict to watch (WIS) like people in Watchuseek

He mention that people like that always buy new and even overprice watch while us try to find a used one and the grey market to buy, Moreover in the same price range we will have various of choices in stead of Ro and Patek which he said is seem to be the only 2 Big Brands that people know about

What do you think about that?

Sorry I don't want to begin any war :)

#2 ·
Today I visit an AD since he give me a big deal

And when we having a chat, he tell me that most of the Rolex (and some-how Patek Phillipe) sales in his store come from a people who know nothing about watch or who are not collector or addict to watch (WIS) like people in Watchuseek

He mention that people like that always buy new and even overprice watch while us try to find a used one and the grey market to buy, Moreover in the same price range we will have various of choices in stead of Ro and Patek which he said is seem to be the only 2 Big Brands that people know about

What do you think about that?

Sorry I don't want to begin any war :)
I mean people ;) !

#4 ·
"Uninformed people pay more than they have to shocker"!

No different from any other luxury good really.

I'm not convinced that equates to Rolex making money 'mostly from people who know nothing' though. Some, for sure, but most? That's a stretch based on a single conversation from a single AD.

#54 ·

No different from any other luxury good really.

I'm not convinced that equates to Rolex making money 'mostly from people who know nothing' though. Some, for sure, but most? That's a stretch based on a single conversation from a single AD.
Ya know, I'm willing to say that it's "most."

WIS are a tiny fraction of the watch buying population. I believe most non-WIS watch buyers just know that Rolex is a "good brand" and buy one for just that reason. Now, we can argue whether that constitutes knowing anything, but that's another discussion.

I might be wrong since I don't have the numbers to back me up, but "most" passes my smell test...

#5 ·
Most mainstream brands make most of their money from customers who aren't "into" watches like this community. Rolex clearly has excellent marketing and brand awareness but they have the heritage and quality to back it up. While we can marvel at fit and finish and the finer details, most buyers are probably just pleased with their accurate and reliable watches and their iconic designs.

#16 · (Edited)
i always waste their time at AD. Cuz most my watches are from WUS market. But I called the time that I wasted their time "the fun time". A lot of AD sales don't even know much about watches they sell, funny why they expect their customer do?

people don't know watches, go to AD, see what they like, price is right, they buy. Easy money. People know about watches, ask so many questions, they know about prices, try on a few, the "Ill need to think about it".

#11 ·
That story and claim is SUPER old. Should be called vintage by this time now.

I assume most of Rolex owners here are WIS. They actually have pretty good immune system against this kinda stuff before they select a Rolex. Sometimes they even joke about Rolex too. Doesn't bother them what other people thinks. If they do, they will not be Rolex owners.

know watches or not, they got good watches last for years.

#12 ·
Rolex has been very skilled and lucky at advertising. I saw a survey that showed that among various brands (not specifically watch brands), Rolex is the most trusted name out there. So of course someone who knows nothing about watches but wants a luxury watch is going to gravitate towards Rolex. And like it or not, I'm certain that this is the majority of Rolex customers. WIS only make up a minority of the watch market, let's not fool ourselves. I generally strike up conversations with people I see wearing nice watches, and at some point I throw in a compliment about some specific mechanical feature of that watch. I always get blank stares, and eventually the other person admits that they bought it based mostly on reputation or some kind of roundabout exposure to the brand. I even met someone wearing an AP ROO that he got because he got a deal on it through a friend.

People who don't know much about watches drive most of the watch market. And to that kind of consumer, heavily advertised brands like Rolex are the shiniest objects on the horizon.

#286 ·
People who don't know much about watches drive most of the watch market. And to that kind of consumer, heavily advertised brands like Rolex are the shiniest objects on the horizon.
Absolutely. My mother wanted a Rolex for years, she knew it was a good brand and they were quality watches but Mom was no WIS. She saved her earnings from being a Catholic School teacher (non-union, they paid about half of what public schools did but she didn't have to deal with kids bring guns to school) and finally bought a Tiffany branded, pre-owned one in the 1980's.

And to prove she's no WIS, when I became interested in watches she gave it to me, preferring to wear her Bucherer quartz. She didn't like having to keep the Rolex wound, I even offered to get her a winder but she said no.

At 29mm, it's a small watch, but it's my only Rolex.....

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#19 ·
I too am part of "us" and my choice is to buy new at an AD... No used, no gray market. I also think I know a thing or two about watches... When I buy a Rolex or an other watch, I know exactly what I am buying.

This thread reeks of trolling, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt...

#36 ·
I too am part of "us" and my choice is to buy new at an AD... No used, no gray market. I also think I know a thing or two about watches... When I buy a Rolex or an other watch, I know exactly what I am buying.

This thread reeks of trolling, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt...
Did that the first dozen times or so (in hopes) then gave up . . .

#23 · (Edited)
I'm typing on a high-end computer. I know nothing about computers. I own a Nikon DSLR, yet know absolutely zilch about photography. I use about two "apps" on my smartphone...out of what, 50 or so that came pre-installed? Heck, I even drive a big ol' custom-built 4x4 that looks like it could run the Baha...and I haven't a clue as to what actually goes on under the hood.

The list of things that I've bought solely on reputation, or with minimal research and limited understanding....goes on and on. But here's the thing; it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate those items. I actually use/enjoy the heck out of 'em. So if someone wants to buy a Rolex, yet knows nothing about watches; what do I think?

Lol....I think "who gives a crap, they're entitled". And I think they probably know all they really need to know.

#75 · (Edited)
I'm with you, big time. I have a Canon 7D and Rebel T5 but the best photos I've ever taken are with my cellphone and I couldn't edit a picture for the life of me.

I buy nice electronics and headphones with minimal research, betting on brand integrity.

I bought mountain bikes and high end gear for me and my fiancée after having not ridden for 10+ years, with positively zero research except the sales person's advice (she seemed knowledgable).

I think it's totally okay to buy top quality stuff if you'll enjoy it - even if you aren't enough of a hobbyist to appreciate the subtle nuances and really put your gear through the wringer.

#25 · (Edited)
Majority of any product's buyers(not just watches) are not well versed in the purchases they make, that does not mean they do not pay attention to those that are. You can draw the same comparison between movie critics and the average, mall movie goers. Critics, WIS in this case, are what regulars rely on to provide appropriate reviews and proper nitpicking to a brand's novelties.

One does not need to be a WIS to appreciate quality, nor does one need to be a movie critic. But critics provide good filtering of validation and worthiness of a product in most occasions.

#33 · (Edited)
Good point. My father who knows nothing about watches went to a mall and bought a seiko- why? Because he liked the look/style.

Same could be said for any brand.

I also by new from ADs. And I have tried on without buying as well- just last week I tried on a blnr- said thanks for their time I needed to think it over.

Edit. Also- uneducated, blanket statements such as the title of this thread, is what keeps false perception alive. My 2c, my opinion only of course.

#30 ·
I agree with the general comment that people are not required to be experts, or even hobbyists, when they rely on brand reputation Life's too short to spend all your time doing research. I live in the Uk and I know that if I buy Colemans mustard it will be very hot. I know that Marks and Spencers offers decent value in their stores. I know that Toyota cars will tend to be reliable.
Same with Rolex, you don't get to grow for 100 years without doing a lot right. The buyers are mainly just relying on common sense. Not a bad idea!

#31 ·
Hard to say anyone is ever "wasting" their money when they buy a Rolex. Even if you purchase brand new from an AD that Rolex will most likely appreciate in value over time. I've never owned a Rolex but I appreciate their history and they have done a masterful job in creating one of the most well regarded brands in any industry.

#32 · (Edited)
It's kinda funny when you turn this around.

There are watch enthusiasts who spend months debating, researching...reading reviews and posting polls. They agonize over the decision of which watch to buy.

Then there are the clueless bastards who just walk into an AD and plunk their money down on "the shiny one with the well-known name".

Some praise the former and mock the latter. Yet, when all is said and done....they both end up with the exact same watch.

Lol...I'm not sure what that says, or if it says anything at all. I just think it's funny.

#107 ·
It's kinda funny when you turn this around.

There are watch enthusiasts who spend months debating, researching...reading reviews and posting polls. They agonize over the decision of which watch to buy.

Then there are the clueless bastards who just walk into an AD and plunk their money down on "the shiny one with the well-known name".

Some praise the former and mock the latter. Yet, when all is said and done....they both end up with the exact same watch.

Lol...I'm not sure what that says, or if it says anything at all. I just think it's funny.
Also, there are some WIS who spend months deliberating between $300 watches as well. So for every consumer that "knows nothing" about watches and buys a Rolex, there's another that is a WIS and buys a (fill in your entry level Swiss watch brand).

Quite funny indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Somebody has to buy the new watches.

In the end the vast majority of luxury goods and a very healthy percentage of non-luxury goods are bought by people that know nothing about them. How many people know how close a particular flat panel is to ISF calibration out of the box or how many people know the skid pad numbers for the car they drive. I don't know much about cooking and appliances but I know if I buy Henckel knives, All-Clad cookware, Viking ranges and Sub-Zero fridges while I may not have bought the best nor the best bang for the buck I do know I have done OK. Buying a Patek or a Rolex is indeed buying an excellent watch whether you know which brands makes the 3155 movement and which makes the 324 or not.

Reactions: Sevenmack
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.