Rolex restricting the supply of parts?
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Rolex restricting the supply of parts?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Rolex restricting the supply of parts?

Hi folks,

I have never been that impressed by dodgy business strategies that reduce choice and increase costs for the consumer, so this article in the Business Insider from 2011 caught my attention.

Does anyone know if this policy was actually implemented, with the outcomes suggested in this article?

Across the world, watchmakers and jewellers, who have held licences to repair and service Rolexes for many years, report that their contracts are being terminated, and they are being cut off from the supply of certified Rolex spare parts and components on which the quality of the watch and its guarantee depend.

In their place, Rolex is promoting a reduced number of its own service centres. Trade sources say that Rolex has issued a global policy, requiring these centres to lift the price for servicing watches brought in by current owners, so that the cost of repair is at least half or closer to three-quarters of the price of a new watch. In Melbourne, Australia, for example, the estimate for routine servicing for a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Air King (circa 1970) is almost $1,200. In London, the price is the equivalent in pounds. By contrast, in a mid-size town in France, the licensed watchmaker still in business with a Rolex licence charges just €200 for the same job, including parts. The licensed watchmakers of Geneva were charging an equivalent price two years ago.

But no more. The French watchmaker isn’t going to last long in the Rolex business, he says.
    Privatizing Rolex -- The Fake Tells A Truer Tale

Another similar story which also implies that the Swatch group has started playing a similar game.

ROLEX has defended its ban on selling spare parts to independent watchmakers, who have alerted Australia's consumer watchdog to an alleged Swiss "monopoly" over luxury watch repairs.
    Rolex insists parts ban is about quality, not monopoly
    shoen likes this.

Re: Rolex restricting the supply of parts?

Another reason to stay away from Rolex...

Rolex knows how to run a watch business, unlike many others and many are no longer around.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerOrange View Post
    Another reason to stay away from Rolex...
    I had no choice! The Rolex 1501 Stainless model, that I bought in 1968 for $160.00, "disappeared" from USPS over two years ago in route after servicing. By accident I found a Russian Vostok tank model in an antique mall for $25.00. The rest is history. Some 225 plus Russian watches later, I sold 125 of them, have 90 plus in my collection, and have over 10 always for sale.
    hanzo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Rolex knows how to run a watch business, unlike many others and many are no longer around.
    But there is a difference between 'running a business' and totally disrespecting the customer. To give an analogy, I would certainly never even consider buying car for which the original parts were not freely available to anyone who wanted to buy them, including the individual owner, and I don't see why any other product should be any different.

It is not as if Rolex needs to do this to stay in business, and that first report suggests they are doing this as part of a strategy to get people to scrap their old Rolex watches and buy new ones, so increasing their sales.

I have a feeling that Rolex are not the only ones looking at such a strategy and to my mind it is pretty typical of the sort of dodgy practices that seem to be viewed as being acceptable 'good business' in the 'luxury' watch trade as a whole, especially when the Swiss are involved somewhere.
    Hammondo, bigvatch and jesse1 like this.

Is this the part where ETA-based Panerai owner should rejoice because they can still find spare parts and service rather easily

On the other hand,this strategy may backfire on Rolex,people used to buy Rolex for "investment" but if the servicing cost is so high,the resale value of their older models may plummet (with the exceptions of the special models) thus reducing demand for the new ones

I thought this has been going on for some time.
    It is right that the world should illustrate the full nature of the infinite and not merely the particular ideals of man - Spinoza

And they will continue to crank out 900K+ pieces a year to eager customers.
    bluloo likes this.

Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluloo View Post
    I thought this has been going on for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Synequano View Post

On the other hand,this strategy may backfire on Rolex,people used to buy Rolex for "investment" but if the servicing cost is so high,the resale value of their older models may plummet (with the exceptions of the special models) thus reducing demand for the new ones
    Precisely my thought...I just dropped my Omega off with an independent watchmaker who's well known in my area among the Rolex crowd. I don't think he's been affected but I'll check when I pick up my watch. If he (& others) no longer have access to parts I'll certainly think twice about buying a Rolex (I've been thinking about adding one in the 'near future'; I really like the Explorer & have also taken a liking to the new blue/black GMTII)
    Adnan

Current 'pieces:

Rolex GMT II BLNR

Zenith Defy
    Omega SMP 2254.50
    Seiko SAGN007
    Ulysse Nardin Classico
    Hermes Slim d'Hermes

Gone:
    Audemars Piguet 15300
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Deep Sea vintage chronograph
    Rolex DateJust41 126300

Rolex Daytona 116500

JeanRichard Terrascope
    IWC 3239 Laureus

Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33
    Omega Aqua Terra 2502.80
    Omega SM300
    Speedy Pro 3572.50 w/ a Panda dial (three times)
    Speedy Pro 3570.50 (several times)

Oris 65

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information