Rolex Sea Dweller (not DS) or Beitling Avenger Sea Wolf?

View Poll Results: Sea Dweller (old type) or Avenger Sea Wolf

Voters
75. This poll is closed
  • Sea Dweller

48 64.00%
  • Sea Wolf

27 36.00%

Thread: Rolex Sea Dweller (not DS) or Beitling Avenger Sea Wolf?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mac

Rolex Sea Dweller (not DS) or Beitling Avenger Sea Wolf?

I am on the verge of getting a BNIB 'V' serial Sea Dweller from my AD in the next few weeks.
    However I have today seen (and tried on) the Breitling Avenger Sea Wolf.

I confess to not usually being a Breitling fan as I tend to find them too "bling" and too large for my tastes.
    However, the SW has really grabbed me despite it's (to me) huge 44mm x 18.4mm and weighing in at 102g.

I tried on the blue dial version (which is a very grey/blue and almost black/grey in certain light). I was bowled over by it's superb build quality and the general "feel" of it.
    I love the tool like simplicity of the dial and the crown, winding, setting time etc was smooth as silk and (dare I say it!) better than any Rolex or Omega I've ever owned!

The Ti case & bracelet made it a very light watch for it's proportions and if anything added rather than deterred from it's feel of quality and solidity.

The legibility of the dial was excellent too.
    All in all I was very impressed.

Thing is I don't know about the size?

I think the 44m width looked OK on my 6.5 / 6.75 (depending on temperature) wrist but I was a little unsure if i'd look ridiculous with the Empire State height of the case!!!
    It sure is a beast and that's the question! Is it too much of a beast for a 5'8" tall, 12.5 stone, 6.5/6.75" wristed person like me?

It wouldn't be my only watch so wearing with a suit wouldn't be a major issue.

On the other hand I love the sea Dweller! I've owned one before, flipped it and regretted it.
    It's 40mm width and thinner case do seem to be more in proportion to my wrists but it would cost significantly more.
    It's re sale would undoubtably be far better as well as being easier to esll too.
    It would work better in a suit or dressy situation than the SW but as I said that's not a major issue for me anyway.

So pound for pound or dollar for dollar which do YOU think is the better watch and why?

Anyone got or had a Sea Wolf and either love it or flipped it and why?

How did you get on with the height?

Is it a better watch than the SD for the money?

Would it be better to sink all my funds into an SD or split them into a SW + another?

It's my decision of course but I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Cheers.

Mac. :thanks
    If you won't leave me alone, I'll find someone who will

Re: Rolex Sea Dweller (not DS) or Beitling Avenger Sea Wolf?

I don't have either watch, but just from the looks I am a big fan of the Sea-Dweller.

The Seawolf is a great watch, but its not a Rolex.
    Current Rotation:
    Rolex DSSD
    Rolex SeaDweller 16600
    Rolex Submariner 16610 "LV"
    APROO Rubberclad black
    APROO bumblebee
    Hublot Ice Bang
    Hublot Tantalum Bang
    JLC Amvox 5

Garage:
    14 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
    15 Porsche 911 S
    16 Range Rover Sport

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm a big fan of Breitling, so I'd go with that one

I had a couple SeaWolfs (SeaWolves??) and to me they were just too chunky. I used to call them my tuna cans. Now if you're looking to get a new SDDS, that would be a moot point.
    The price difference between the two you are looking at is huge. They both serve the same purpose and they are both quality watches. The Rolex, though, gets my vote as the better of the two. A SD will hold it's value far better than a SeaWolf, something you might want to consider.
    Good luck in your choice.

If it were me the size would rule out the Seawolf, my wrist is 6.25-6.5 and 42 is about as big as I can go. 44 might work for you but I'd be concerned about the bracelet protrusion.

Out of curiosity what else do you have in your collection? If you have other divers that are rather sporty the SD might overlap more, where as the Seawolf might be a bit edgier looking if that is something your collection wants.

Mac

Unfortunatley my budget doesn't allow for a large collection of expensive watches so I tend to flip around rather than adding to it!

I have just (I think) sold my new Sub LV s the SD / SW would be replacing that.

I also have a Tag Carrera "retro" based on the 1964 in a 39mm case.

Would like a DeVille Power Reserve someday though which is more likely if I went for the SW instead of the SD.
    If you won't leave me alone, I'll find someone who will

Hi

well - these 'choice between' type questions are always interesting and when two superb watches are compared, the answers given generally reflect 'subjective' preferences, rather than objectives criteria.

In your case, its a choice between two awesome watches - whichever you get, if its the watch for the watch's sake, you can't go wrong. But others factors are invariably involved - aesthetics, fit, cost, cache, resale, history, personal taste etc.

The SD is SS, the SW is Titanium
    The SD polished and heavy, SW is matt and still pretty heavy.
    The SD will appear to scratch less easily than titanium - but the Titanium has a greater strength to weight and its titanium does have a sort of internal self healing property, covering its scratches over time
    The SD is a professional dive watch, the SW is a professional dive watch
    The SD is over-engineered and the SW is over-engineered
    The SD has a HE valve, the SW has an HE Valve -does any watch ever really need one???
    The SD goes to humanly impossible depths, the SW goes even further
    The SD will fit under cuffs, my SW bezel rider-tabs catches on jumpers
    The SD will cost twice the price of the SW - the fact is you could probably get a SW and Omega PO for the price of the SD
    The SD will be recognised by people who recognise Rolex - the Breitling will probably only be 'known' by WIS but certainly wont be ignored by anyone
    The SD has decades of proven professional diving behind it with the sub
    The SW comes from a marque that knows how to make dive watches, but the SW itself is a newcomer (and after only 4 years have changed the dial and even changed the metal!!)
    The SD will cost a lot to service - so will the SW
    The SD will have greater resale value - but the money saved by getting an SW if invested wisely will surely give a greater return
    The SD looks great dressed up or down - IMHO the SW doesn't quite work dressed smart - at least not on its bracelet.
    The SD can be worn by someone with smallish wrist - the SW certainly stands out on a smallish wrist.
    For what you actually get, I believe the SD is overpriced - the SW is available at what seems a very reasonable price.
    The SD has the in-house classic Chronometre rated 3135 - the SW has the chronometre rated re-worked ETA 2824. Both are solid workhorses - the cost of the Rolex does not reflect the relative difference in mvmnt.

The SD is a mass produced watch (Rolex sell 1million a year and the SS models are most popular -its certainly not fine watch-making like PP, AP, LAS,JL,VC - but it doesn't claim to be - its THE TOOL watch) - I would assume less SW's are produced a year than SD's (deduced by the fact Rolex make many more watches than Breitling, and Breitling have a far greater range and the SW is noit the most popular).
    I have seen lots of SD's being worn - dont think I've ever seen a SW
    The SD dial is not as immediately optically crisp as the SW whose white hands, numbers and AR crystal make it crystal clear.
    The SD is now out of manufacture and thus will become a very desirable watch - the SW has never been a cult watch and is unlikely to gain the same cache as a SD
    The SD looks wrong on most straps except NATO and its own bracelet whereas the SW looks great with a whole host of straps.

Now - you owned an SD and sold it - why? If it didnt make your pulse race and you were indifferent, and keener to get something else, why would you bother spending a small fortune getting another? But if you have regretted ever since selling it, and if it has been 'calling to you' then maybe that settles it.

Speaking subjectively - I own the Breitling SW and the new Rolex DSSD. I am grateful to own both. I owned the SW but still bought the DSSD. If I had owned the DSSD, I probably wouldn't have then bought the SW.

If you buy the SW but sense you will still want a SD - dont buy the SW, buy the SD.

Fact is though, whichever you buy, you'll be buying an awesome watch.

Hope I havent sent you to sleep with that monologue

si
    Last edited by Simon; March 18th, 2009 at 11:05.

Not to add to the confusion, but do you know that the titanium seawolf has been discontinued and replaced with a stainless steel one? The SS is thicker though, and happens to be the heaviest watch in the Breitling lineup. Both are rated at 3000m.

Both good watches, but it it was my buck, id go with the seawolf.
    1. Im biased toward Breitling.
    2. The SD is too small for my taste, even though my wrist is about 6.75" as well.
    3. I just see way too many SD, Subs etc. to get a special feeling when wearing one.

I have a feeling that you are going to wish you bought the other one, no matter which way you go

Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    I have a feeling that you are going to wish you bought the other one, no matter which way you go
    Brilliant - laughed out loud - I think you are right

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information