ROLEX SEA DWELLER vs BLANCPAIN 50 FATHOMS
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: ROLEX SEA DWELLER vs BLANCPAIN 50 FATHOMS

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

ROLEX SEA DWELLER vs BLANCPAIN 50 FATHOMS

Hi guys

As the title says, my question is can these 2 watches which are steeped with history and achievements be compared together. What are their minues and pluses, can they actually be put in the same ring?

I have the sea dweller and a fine piece indeed it is but cannot comment on the 50 fathoms as I've never actually seen one in the flesh but in pictures it looks gorgeous and am hopeful of adding this to my small meager collection one day.

On another note I don't do any diving just wear my watches for everyday casual wear.

Re: ROLEX SEA DWELLER vs BLANCPAIN 50 FATHOMS

The latest iteration of the Fifty Fathoms still uses a sapphire bezel.
    If you're not particularly picky about the resistance of the bezel, then cool, go for it.
    The WR is less than a DSSD as well, but imo not really a factor since no one usually dives below 300m.
    Also, the premium is much higher than the DSSD, especially with the steel mesh or bracelet.

BTW, do you own the classic Sea Dweller or the current Sea Dweller w/ ceramic bezel?

I assume you have the means to purchase any of these watches.
    It all depends on what look you prefer. The Fifty Fathoms leans more on the dressy side, whilst the DSSD looks like more toolish.
    IMO, the Fifty Fathoms is the more versatile watch in terms of looks.
    WnS likes this.
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

Quote Originally Posted by entropy96 View Post
    The latest iteration of the Fifty Fathoms still uses a sapphire bezel.
    If you're not particularly picky about the resistance of the bezel, then cool, go for it.
    The WR is less than a DSSD as well, but imo not really a factor since no one usually dives below 300m.
    Also, the premium is much higher than the DSSD, especially with the steel mesh or bracelet.

BTW, do you own the classic Sea Dweller or the current Sea Dweller w/ ceramic bezel?

I assume you have the means to purchase any of these watches.
    It all depends on what look you prefer. The Fifty Fathoms leans more on the dressy side, whilst the DSSD looks like more toolish.
    IMO, the Fifty Fathoms is the more versatile watch in terms of looks.
    entropy96

bezel resistance is not an issue for me. Mine is the classic sea dweller, bought in in 2007 just prior to the deepsea being released. Have since tried the deepsea for size and albeit slightly bigger and deeper it was a lovely feel & fit, but saying that I love the overall ergonomics of the classic. If I went for the 50 fathoms I would go for the canvas strap (albeit I haven't seen any of their ranges in the flesh) and agree that the 50 fathoms leans towards the dressier side of things.
    goldendragon likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Finally... a decent "This or That" question!!

Both fantastic watches and a real coin toss. You could never go wrong with either one. Maybe a nudge to the 50 because it isn't seen very often. That's always a more attractive criteria for me when deciding between two equal contenders.
    Coleslaw likes this.

Banned

If you know where this is from you know my answer

Both are exceptionally amazing watch in its own rights,but BP is more dressy and less common than a Rolex
    The only things that put me off BP FF are the engravings and the resale price (of course this is just my personal opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Synequano View Post
    Both are exceptionally amazing watch in its own rights,but BP is more dressy and less common than a Rolex
    The only things that put me off BP FF are the engravings and the resale price (of course this is just my personal opinion)

synequano

Agree on opening comment and very interesting opinions re the latter. With not having seen the 50 fathoms are you referring to the BP engraving on the side of the casing (as seen in pictures)? Does this make the watch look obtrusive and say tacky looking and also the resale value or lack of would also be a consideration to me, but not as an important issue as say quality/style and feel good factor on the wrist.

Well,I've gotten so used to plain case ala Panerai,so I find the "Blancpain" written on the (all polished SS) case is a bit much,add the fact that I wear my watch on my right wrist..so the brand can be seen by another person (if you wear yours on left wrist,then it's no problem)

As for trying the FF,I've never tried it on,the shops in Asia are such a pain when it comes to trying their brand new items..and I rarely see pre-owned FF (there are some on watchrecon,but most of them are in the US)

And another thing that I dislike on FF is the date window on 4.30..making it more difficult to check the date if I wear it on my right wrist (see above)

Quote Originally Posted by Synequano View Post
    Well,I've gotten so used to plain case ala Panerai,so I find the "Blancpain" written on the (all polished SS) case is a bit much,add the fact that I wear my watch on my right wrist..so the brand can be seen by another person (if you wear yours on left wrist,then it's no problem)

As for trying the FF,I've never tried it on,the shops in Asia are such a pain when it comes to trying their brand new items..and I rarely see pre-owned FF (there are some on watchrecon,but most of them are in the US)

And another thing that I dislike on FF is the date window on 4.30..making it more difficult to check the date if I wear it on my right wrist (see above)

excellent feed back thanks. I too wear my watch on the right side so will be interesting to see if this would be an issue for me once I get the opportunity to visit a UK dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
    If you know where this is from you know my answer

That's the FF ad right?
    Then I'm with you.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information