Rolex Thief Caught On Tape - Page 4
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Rolex Thief Caught On Tape

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Rolex Thief Caught On Tape

Quote Originally Posted by *El Ocho 1* View Post
    No, but don't park your car outdoors, with the windows open & the keys in the ignition & then be surprised when it's not there.

Don't leave your purse or laptop on the front seat of the car, in plain view & then be surprised that you window is broken & your purse/laptop is missing

Don't use your iphone/ipad next to the doors on the subway & not be aware of the 2 guys eyeing you & commenting to each other, who as the train is coming to a stop get up & start to approach you. (I saw a public Service announcement on this recently & though "duh!", lol)

Don't leave your open purse in a grocery cart while you walk to the other end of the isle to get cereal you forgot to get.

IDK, maybe it's just growin up in a city instead of a small town makes you be more aware fo things like this. But theives need an oportunity to strike, all I'm saying is try to minimize those opportunities.
    I grew up in the city too. I stole as a little boy. Got in fights, had knives pulled on me and from time to time heard of people who didn't make it. None of that matters. At some point in time we become adults and we make the decision to respect people's property or not. To do the right thing or not. We should do all the things you mentioned but it in no way minimizes what this guy did or makes her in anyway accountable. She made a mistake for which she tried to correct. Unfortunately for her, she had one of society's losers behind her. Not asking for this guy to be a boy scout. Just be a decent human being fer crissakes....

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    The article says the lady realized she left the watch and turned around and walked past the guy on way back to the tray.
    ari.seoul? Kind of puts a hole in the "looking for her" theory doesn't it? Not to bust your chops on this but I think your making way too many excuses for this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Phan View Post
    I grew up in the city too. I stole as a little boy. Got in fights, had knives pulled on me and from time to time heard of people who didn't make it. None of that matters. At some point in time we become adults and we make the decision to respect people's property or not. To do the right thing or not. We should do all the things you mentioned but it in no way minimizes what this guy did or makes her in anyway accountable. She made a mistake for which she tried to correct. Unfortunately for her, she had one of society's losers behind her. Not asking for this guy to be a boy scout. Just be a decent human being fer crissakes....

Oh no, I completely agree with you in regards to the guy. If you read back to my 1st post here I said if it would of been me I would of immediately called out to her. And it's not like I'm saying it's completely her fault either. What I mean, I guess, is that if that were to happen to me I'd be upset, but I would also be kicking myself for leaving my watch there. I would blame myself more than anyone, because I very well know that unfortunately there are many more people out there like this guy than like me.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ari.seoul View Post
    there's no denying what this person did was wrong, especially if he knew who it belongs to

that said, I had some reservation of calling him a 'thief' at first, since the video only shows him finding that watch in the bin ... and taking it

I mean, we find things all the time ... does that mean the next time you find a quarter on the street and you deciding to keep it makes you a thief?

you find a newspaper in the subway and decided to read it, does that make you a thief? same principle, is it not?

or does value come to play; finding and keeping a quarter is OK, but finding and keeping a Rolex is not?

or are we basing this on assumption ... finding a newspaper, we assume the previous owner does not want it, finding a Rolex, well hell, somebody dropped it by accident

by criminal law definition, I agree that this person is consider a thief because a thief is someone who committed theft, and theft, by criminal law definition, is the dishonest taking of property belonging to another person with the intention of depriving the owner permanently of its possession.

but how do we know he wasnt looking for the lady or a lost and found?

or perhaps it's subjective;
    other people finding nice stuff = thief
    other people finding your stuff = #@*!^$% thief
    you finding nice stuff = lucky
    omg I wish there is less people like you
    Monocrom and Hammondo like this.

Oh no, I completely agree with you in regards to the guy. If you read back to my 1st post here I said if it would of been me I would of immediately called out to her. And it's not like I'm saying it's completely her fault either. What I mean, I guess, is that if that were to happen to me I'd be upset, but I would also be kicking myself for leaving my watch there. I would blame myself more than anyone, because I very well know that unfortunately there are many more people out there like this guy than like me.
    Agree. I would be kicking myself forever probably. I just hate stealing.

This guy is a pure, self-centered, opportunist. He knew, full-well, where the watch came from (i.e. it was someone else's property), and that taking it was wrong (as demonstrated by his behavior).

Hope the owner gets her watch back.

As I said in another thread, that's just the public forum, baby! You can say "Stubbing your toe sucks", and some dude will construct an elaborate argument why it doesn't.

The guy stole it, Ari.seoul- that makes him a thief. Forget newspapers on busses and quarters on the ground. The comparison to them is about as apt as stating that Great White sharks don't eat people because goldfish don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ari.seoul View Post
    first of all, I dont condone what this person did, especially if he knows whose that watch was

but to be fair, this is like finding a watch on the floor

somebody left it there, it's not like he was targeting someone to steal their watch, he found a watch at one of those container

it's more like he found it than stole it ... but of course by keeping it, I suppose that would make him a thief (??)
    I'm sorry, but what he did is no where near the same thing as finding a watch on the sidewalk outside, or finding a watch in the backseat of a taxi cab. In those situations, you're genuinely finding or stumbling onto something that a stranger left behind. You have no way of finding its owner, and no clue how long its been there. Maybe a couple of minutes if you found it on the street. Maybe hours if on the floor of the backseat of a taxi. That's very different from finding a watch in an otherwise empty tray as you're passing through the airport. You know the person right in front of you left it behind. That's when you shout at them as they're walking away.

"Hey! You forgot your watch!"

They come back, you hand it to them. If you just grab the watch out of the tray, and head on about your business, with the person still walking several feet in front of you; that's theft. You know the watch isn't your's and you can see the person who left it behind, directly in front of you! That's just blatant theft right there. Yeah, the guy didn't plan on stealing someone else's timepiece. But when an opportunity presented itself, that's exactly what he did.
    09.ducati and Otto Phan like this.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Ahhhhh, gotta love South Florida, lol

OK, but no one blames the lady for leaving her watch in the tray?
    I do. I called her bone-headed. What she did was thoughtless. I sure as Hell wouldn't leave my Rolex sitting in a tray. In fact, I had to walk through metal detectors just last week. The very first thing I grabbed out of the tray was my belt, so that my pants didn't fall down. Very next thing was my watch. Everything else was either cheap or replaceable. Honestly, who the Hell doesn't consciously remember to grab their Rolex?!

Still . . . Here bone-headedness doesn't make up for the guy stealing her watch out of the tray. He knew none of his belongings were in that tray. He knew he had no business, no right, sticking his hand into that tray in the first place.
    Last edited by Monocrom; February 15th, 2012 at 20:53. Reason: Clarification.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

like what? pray do tell,

that I dont jump into conclusion? that I dont quickly judge other people?

that I'm willing to try and see the whole picture, or that person's side of the story before I throw the hammer at him?

or that I use my brain and try to stretch this thread into more than an angry mob with pitchforks?

my apology if my little arguments is beyond you ... perhaps I'll be a bit more like you,

ahem, grunt, me no like man take other's shiny, me smash!!

like I said, I dont disagree with the others, and that I think that person's action is wrong ... but I like to throw a little wrench into the mix and see if people are as quick to judge if they use their brain a little ... should try it sometime ;)

Quote Originally Posted by NineFace View Post
    omg I wish there is less people like you

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information