Rolex Thief Caught On Tape - Page 5
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Rolex Thief Caught On Tape

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Rolex Thief Caught On Tape

Quote Originally Posted by ari.seoul View Post
    first of all, I dont condone what this person did, especially if he knows whose that watch was

but to be fair, this is like finding a watch on the floor

somebody left it there, it's not like he was targeting someone to steal their watch, he found a watch at one of those container

it's more like he found it than stole it .
    .. but of course by keeping it, I suppose that would make him a thief (??)

Morality doesn't work like that.

gosh, if this isn't stealing then I suppose all of those lovely goods they leave on shop rails and shop shelves are there for the taking.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

thank you, this is the kind of response I was looking for ~

I want to see if people are also using their brain and reason instead of just stomping their foot and blowing hot air (people like that, we need less of)

unfortunately not everyone gets it ... guess it's my fault for trying to raise the intelligent bar

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I'm sorry, but what he did is no where near the same thing as finding a watch on the sidewalk outside, or finding a watch in the backseat of a taxi cab. In those situations, you're genuinely finding or stumbling onto something that a stranger left behind. You have no way of finding its owner, and no clue how long its been there. Maybe a couple of minutes if you found it on the street. Maybe hours if on the floor of the backseat of a taxi. That's very different from finding a watch in an otherwise empty tray as you're passing through the airport. You know the person right in front of you left it behind. That's when you shout at them as they're walking away.

"Hey! You forgot your watch!"

They come back, you hand it to them. If you just grab the watch out of the tray, and head on about your business, with the person still walking several feet in front of you; that's theft. You know the watch isn't your's and you can see the person who left it behind, directly in front of you! That's just blatant theft right there. Yeah, the guy didn't plan on stealing someone else's timepiece. But when an opportunity presented itself, that's exactly what he did.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

let's rock the boat a bit more,
    I'm not trying to be difficult (or maybe I am), I'm really interested in people's (intelligent) response

this man's action is clearly wrong because we assume he knows who the watch belongs to, and that he's not giving it back

now, somebody mentioned there's a clear difference between finding a quarter and finding a Rolex on the street

suppose both items have been on the street for a while and that you have no idea whose they are,

is it the same; keeping the quarter and keeping the Rolex?
    if not the same, what are your points?

(and like I said, if this is only going to make you bash your head against a wall ... well, maybe you should go back to watching your Jersey Shore and skip this conversation)

GEE, I was taking a walk this morning and this guy went in to get a cup of coffee and left his car parked on the street...I guess its mine now, I mean he left it there didn't he.....

Playing devil's advocate only works if the argument is sound.
    You can't say you think the man's actions are wrong and then argue that it might be ok after all.

Whether or not you choose to keep a long lost Rolex found on the street is down to your own morality and in no way relates to this specific scenario where the man clearly took the watch belonging to the person in front.
    As noted in another news story, someone did find a Rolex and they handed it in to the Police.
    That person has a good morales.
    Hammondo likes this.

Thoughts for the day:

Quote Originally Posted by ari.seoul View Post
    or perhaps it's subjective;
    other people finding nice stuff = thief
    other people finding your stuff = #@*!^$% thief
    you finding nice stuff = lucky
    No, it's really not subjective unless you are incapable of empathy. If that's the case with you, then I have to agree with NineFace.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not so much playing the devil's advocate as I'm trying to put more thoughts into the arguments (that what he did was wrong)

like I said, I dont want this to be an angry mob mentality where we all pick up our sticks and pitchforks and start following the popular view,

there has to be sound reasons ... I just would like to see them

as to his action "might" be OK ... tell me when or if such action is OK

somebody mentioned that if it's clearly been laying there for a while and you have no clue whose it is, then it might be OK - or is that still wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    Playing devil's advocate only works if the argument is sound.
    You can't say you think the man's actions are wrong and then argue that it might be ok after all.

Whether or not you choose to keep a long lost Rolex found on the street is down to your own morality and in no way relates to this specific scenario where the man clearly took the watch belonging to the person in front.
    As noted in another news story, someone did find a Rolex and they handed it in to the Police.
    That person has a good morales.

but do you see where I'm coming from

there's too many people who are like that,
    they hate it when it happens to them, but then they go and do the same thing to others (I'm not just talking about stealing)

like it or not, there'll be people like that here, they'll scream bloody murder but when they're faced with similar circumstance, they might view the whole thing differently

"if that's the case with me" so ... are jumping to conclusion now? quick to judge other people? or is that a genuine question?

if it's a genuine question - I'd like to say that if I were in that position, and I know whose watch that is, I'd quickly return it to the person, and if I dont know whose it is, I'd take it to lost and found or just hand it over to the security guard there

I know enough now in life that it would cost more to keep that watch than to give it back

if that man decides to keep that watch ... I believe it would cost him more than if he had given it back

Quote Originally Posted by JarrodS View Post
    No, it's really not subjective unless you are incapable of empathy. If that's the case with you, then I have to agree with NineFace.

I don't quite get what the point of your discussion is.
    You have said yourself that what he did was wrong, just like everyone else has said.

I can't help but be reminded of this quote:
    what is understood need not be discussed.

In any case, I am also remind of something that is taught in UK Common Law:
    each person owes a duty to behave as a reasonable person would under the same or similar circumstances.
    NineFace and Hammondo like this.

Thoughts for the day:

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information