Rolex Thief Caught On Tape - Page 9
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Rolex Thief Caught On Tape

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Rolex Thief Caught On Tape

Quote Originally Posted by George Riemer View Post
    ...and he is innocent until proven guilty.
    This isn't true.

A person is innocent until proven guilty, in a court of law.

Not

A person is innocent, until proven guilty in a court of law.

The difference between the two statements is the comma, and that makes all the difference. The statement says that in a court of law you have the presumption of innocence, which means that the onus is on the state to prove your guilt, absence of the proof of guilt the court must find you "not guilty". However, if I punch you in the nose, I am guilty of punching you in the nose...you know it, I know it and anyone who witnesses the act knows it. I am guilty of it whether we go to court or not...if I did it, I did it. If he stole it, he's guilty. Now, in court (if we go) I am presumed innocent and the state must prove my guilt. If the man goes to court the state must prove he stole it...being caught on video and being found by the police with the watch on your wrist is some compelling evidence.

Best,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
    gold, platinum, titanium and stainless steel doesn't set off metal detectors... why did the person take it off???
    yea my belt buckle doesn't set off alarm, I think it made of stainless steel.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by Doboji View Post
    Nothing infuriates me more than the whole "Finders keepers" bull-crap. Items forgotten are not fair game, they are still someone's property. If you take them, you have stolen them. Period. This is especially true of places like airports where rushing through security checkpoints and dashing for departing airplanes often results in left items. Unfortunately the world is full of scum like this guy who bring down the life experience of everyone... who actually think it's ok.

BTW this is exactly what just happened to me in December... I brought my Oris to the gym, put it in my locker(locked) while I worked out. When I was done working out I was so exhausted I basically limped back to my locker, grabbed all my stuff and headed home to shower. Unfortunately I left my watch in the locker(unlocked). Literally 30 mins or so later I realized my mistake and rushed back to get it. It was already gone. Some as$h*** opened the locker... thought to himself "finders keepers"... and now has my watch.
    That sucks, big time. I once left my vintage Speedmaster Pro on a bench in a hot pool change room, at a ski resort in Canada I was visiting. I realized it about 30 minutes later after returning to my room, and the blood literally felt like it drained out of my body. I hurried back and the watch was still sitting on the bench. Lots of people had seen it there, but nobody touched it.

Interestingly, today I stopped to get cash from the instant teller at a bank (not my branch) and the machine wouldn't accept my card. I then realized there was an active session in progress, so I pressed Cancel and out popped somebody's bank card. I could have easily cleaned them out, but I didn't give it a second thought. I did my business, then walked inside and turned in the card.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; February 18th, 2012 at 02:14.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
    gold, platinum, titanium and stainless steel doesn't set off metal detectors... why did the person take it off???
    Forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that if I walk through an airport metal detector carrying my stainless steel 1911 .45, it will not set off any alarms?

Wow, then those things really are a total waste of money
    Shepperdw likes this.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

Quote Originally Posted by *El Ocho 1* View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that if I walk through an airport metal detector carrying my stainless steel 1911 .45, it will not set off any alarms?

Wow, then those things really are a total waste of money
    Your 1911 has a stainless steal frame but the barrel is not stainless steel, just like a Glock is not entirely made of plastic.

Interesting

(not tempted to try at all!)
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

After doing a bit of research, it appears that it is not true that stainless steel does not set off a metal detector. Stainless steel is just harder to detect than other metals: "Non-magnetic stainless steel such as types 302, 304, and 316 are by far the most difficult of metals to detect. In general, a piece of nonmagnetic stainless steel must be 1½ to 2 times larger than a ferrous piece of metal to be detected by a metal detector." http://www.adsdetection.com/metal-de...=questions.pdf.

It's one of those moments where what you do is wrong, and you know it is wrong, but you think of it sorta as mischievous as if you are stealing a cookie from a cookie jar because of simply the way the situation was laid out. The person was presented with a situation and he obviously did not think clearly of his actions. Was it dishonest? Yes. Is this man a hardened criminal? Most likely not. I think this is a case of "Oh wow, it's my lucky day" to this man all of a sudden instead of "Wow, I'm really going to steal thousands of dollars worth of product and get away with a felony!". He most likely realized the extent of his consequences later with a "Why the hell did I do that?". I highly doubt the average person even realizes the ACTUAL value of a Rolex anyways or what makes them special, other than the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepperdw View Post
    It's one of those moments where what you do is wrong, and you know it is wrong, but you think of it sorta as mischievous as if you are stealing a cookie from a cookie jar because of simply the way the situation was laid out. The person was presented with a situation and he obviously did not think clearly of his actions. Was it dishonest? Yes. Is this man a hardened criminal? Most likely not. I think this is a case of "Oh wow, it's my lucky day" to this man all of a sudden instead of "Wow, I'm really going to steal thousands of dollars worth of product and get away with a felony!". He most likely realized the extent of his consequences later with a "Why the hell did I do that?". I highly doubt the average person even realizes the ACTUAL value of a Rolex anyways or what makes them special, other than the name.
    Yes it was not premeditated. Unfortunately for our perpetrator, the law normally does not distinguish between hot-blooded and cold-blooded theft. In any event, it's not the most heinous crime. But the fact that the temptation was fortuitously placed in front of him, like the forbidden fruit, does not absolve him of responsibility. I would not have taken the watch even when presented with the opportunity and neither would most upstanding citizens. Whether most citizens are upstanding I couldn't really say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronte View Post
    Your 1911 has a stainless steal frame but the barrel is not stainless steel, just like a Glock is not entirely made of plastic.
    Why couldn't his 1911 barrel be stainless? Mine is. They have been around for years.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...BARREL-BUSHING

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information