Rolex v. Omega.... Chronographs! Choose your side - Gray Side of the Moon v. SS Daytona

View Poll Results: Rolex SS Daytona v. Omega Gray Side of the Moon

Voters
115. This poll is closed
  • Rolex Daytona

52 45.22%
  • Omega Gray Side of the Moon

46 40.00%
  • Other

17 14.78%
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Rolex v. Omega.... Chronographs! Choose your side - Gray Side of the Moon v. SS Daytona

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Rolex v. Omega.... Chronographs! Choose your side - Gray Side of the Moon v. SS Daytona

While the watch fairy probably isn't making any deliveries this year sadly... I've been thinking of adding a chronograph to the collection at some point. So just kicking the tires a bit and wanted to hear thoughts.

Two of my favorites are the Rolex SS Daytona and the Omega Gray Side of the Moon.

What say you?! This isn't really about Rolex vs. Omega for me, I've got at least one example, non-chrono, from each. Think both make some great watches as we all know.

This is about the specific models. They're priced close enough together than cost shouldn't factor in too much. Not too worried about resale but realize the Daytona's resale will be much better and that counts for something, even if not too much in my book.

Daytona
    + = Classic design, tried and true movement, great size, resale, sits well on the wrist, great warranty and service interval
    - = Perhaps a bit more mundane of a dial, SS isn't ceramic, not a fan of PCLs, solid case-back isn't a plus.

GSOM
    + = All ceramic, pretty platinum dial, open case-back with solidly decorated movement.
    - = Is it too flavor of the year? Ceramic can crack. Relatively new movement. At the edge of too large, fits better on the wrist than I thought it would though. (edit: but I have a 45.5 Planet Ocean so I have bigger) Thicker.

Last edited by tigerpac; October 5th, 2015 at 18:15.
    asadtiger likes this.

Re: Rolex v. Omega.... Chronographs! Choose your side - Gray Side of the Moon v. SS Daytona

The Omega looks like a big 1980s watch with all that grey - about as fashionable as shoulder pads and sticks out about the same amount. The Daytona is unchanging, but I would take the black-dialled version over the white which looks like it would be harder to read.

Re: Rolex v. Omega.... Chronographs! Choose your side - Gray Side of the Moon v. SS Daytona

Hmm. Interesting quandary. Both are obviously solid choices.
    I prefer Omega as I find date complication useful, chrono time elapsed easier to read on a single subdial at 3-oclock, and overall design to be more modern.
    That said, I can't wear the Omega due to size and thickness.

When you say it's at the edge - how comfortable is Omega GSOM really? If you cant see yourself wearing it on regular basis without catching the cuff, or smacking it into doors due to size, or if it's not a comfortable wrist fit - all other pluses no longer matter and go with a 40mm Daytona.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Whilst the Rolex is clearly the better investment, I hate to be seen wearing the same watch as somebody else so this pretty much rules our Rolex as a brand for me; well at the price point I can afford to spend anyway. You have also picked my top Omega, so it is a brainer for me.

Daytona. All day long.
    Vlance likes this.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

If one can live without date complication (I am assuming you can otherwise Daytona should NOT be in your radar), then I would take the SS Daytona as this particular Omega appear rather gimmicky and I think I would tire of the design.

That said, if it was up to me, i would just save money and get the Speedy pro and call it a day IMHO. Iconic design/history/pedigree and about half the price to boot. :)
    Quartersawn and Ahriman4891 like this.
    Chronic flipper...

Between the two, Daytona. That Omega is way too thick. How about TH Monaco?

Will you use the chrono or do you just like the look? As a chrono user, I find the Daytona's small screw-in pushers way too fiddly to operate and I find the subdials lack adequate contrast for readability.
    Alex_TA likes this.

You'll not get an unbiased opinion from me if the Daytona is one of the contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
    Will you use the chrono or do you just like the look? As a chrono user, I find the Daytona's small screw-in pushers way too fiddly to operate and I find the subdials lack adequate contrast for readability.
    In addition, no date, no AR coating and smallish size. But why bother with ceramics when you can buy the same 9300 movement (which is really outstanding) in steel or titanium package, saving money and future disappointment

Mine:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information