Rolex vs Tissot and CW
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Rolex vs Tissot and CW

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Rolex vs Tissot and CW

Hello everyone. I've been a member of this forum for a few months now, but strangely the more time passes the more I'm confused. As a newbie in this hobby I still feel overrun by my many doubts about the world that surrounds watches, even though I've been reading and searching this forum everyday.

My interest for mechanical watches only began recently when I received a beautiful Vintage VC as a gift. Since this watch is in perfect condition, even though it's a 1966 watch, I decided that I won't be wearing it often. For this reason I'm in need of an everyday watch.
    At first I thought to go straight for an ultra high-end watch but I soon noticed that my knowledge in this field was so scarce that it would have been better to take my time and start with a lower range watch and keep the money that I've set aside for watches for the years to come when I gather more experience.

I haven't had a watch for the last 20 yrs, it was before I bought my first mobile phone, and it was probably a cheap Casio.

So, for my first watch, a daily watch, I've put my eyes on a Rolex, a Tissot and a Cristopher Ward. As I mentioned above I want to start with a lower end automatic watch and then when I feel confident enough I'll upgrade to a higher-end watch.

Here are my questions.

1. How big is the difference in quality between a Rolex and a Tissot or a CW to justify the difference in price?

2. I've read that Rolex watches are top quality and that they last many years. Does this mean that watches of lower brands like Tissot and CW don't last as long?

I really can't figure out why I should spend 10 times more for a Rolex than a Tissot or a CW, unless there are big differences in quality. I'm willing to pay more for best quality products, but only if the price is justified.

Can someone one please explain this to me?

Here are the watches that I've put my eyes on:

ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL
    EXPLORER

TISSOT PRC 200

CW C60 TRIDENT PRO 600 38mm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Rolex vs Tissot and CW

CW and Tissot are both well-respected, "affordable" brands. Rolex is, obviously, a well-respected, not-so-affordable brand. All three watches will last you a good, long time (with proper maintenance), but only one of them is the proverbial 600 pound gorilla in the room. You must decide for yourself whether the premium for the gorilla is "worth it."
    Uhrentraeger likes this.

No, a more budget watch will not just fall apart if it's cared for. A lot of what you pay for in a higher end watch is cosmetic; finishing to a high degree is very expensive. You will have to decide if that's worth it to you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ajbutler13 View Post
    CW and Tissot are both well-respected, "affordable" brands. Rolex is, obviously, a well-respected, not-so-affordable brand. All three watches will last you a good, long time (with proper maintenance), but only one of them is the proverbial 600 pound gorilla in the room. You must decide for yourself whether the premium for the gorilla is "worth it."
    But that's the point. I can't figure what this premium realy is. I'm trying to understand, but unless it's a premium on quality why should I pay more. Is it really just the name?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco77 View Post
    But that's the point. I can't figure what this premium realy is. I'm trying to understand, but unless it's a premium on quality why should I pay more. Is it really just the name?
    Have you handled the watches and looked at them closely?

That's a good place to start.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    No, a more budget watch will not just fall apart if it's cared for. A lot of what you pay for in a higher end watch is cosmetic; finishing to a high degree is very expensive. You will have to decide if that's worth it to you.
    Great. This is interesting. So rolex is build with more care to detail. Thank you for your answer. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post

No, not yet. But that would help only with the feel and aesthetics. I'm talking about all the factors behind the aesthetics. Longevity, quality of the mechanism etc.

Second that. Superficially Tissot/CW may look similar to the Rolex on pictures, but the tactile feel of the Explorer (or Rolexes in general) is quite different. Whether that and all the other things that comes with the Rolex is worth the price premium is up to you. But you can also assume that a random Rolex is more likely to be more robust than a random Tissot/CW. Whether or not you need that level of robustness is another question (look at all the off road SUVs that never go on a dirt path).

One thing to consider is that it's doubtful many would service a Tissot or CW, whereas a good number of people would service a Rolex. Outliers notwithstanding (those watches you hear about that's been unserviced for 80 years and work fine), just the service history alone would make a Rolex last longer, irregardless of quality.
    mleok likes this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead123 View Post

Second that. Superficially Tissot/CW may look similar to the Rolex on pictures, but the tactile feel of the Explorer (or Rolexes in general) is quite different. Whether that and all the other things that comes with the Rolex is worth the price premium is up to you. But you can also assume that a random Rolex is more likely to be more robust than a random Tissot/CW. Whether or not you need that level of robustness is another question (look at all the off road SUVs that never go on a dirt path).

One thing to consider is that it's doubtful many would service a Tissot or CW, whereas a good number of people would service a Rolex. Outliers notwithstanding (those watches you hear about that's been unserviced for 80 years and work fine), just the service history alone would make a Rolex last longer, irregardless of quality.
    Aside from the robustness that I probaly wouldn't need that much, what would annoy me most is buying a watch that would end up in the bin just after a few years. Every watch that I'm going to buy I want to take care of it and I want it to last as long as possible. I want to start in the lower end and work myself up. But I want a watch that will be serviced well in the future too.

Ay that`s why you wanted to sell that vintage VC.

Only when you handle those watches you will feel the differences. And don`t we start talking about materials and movements used. Ofcourse Rolex command a premium, because of the name, but it is justified.

The same a BMW commands a premium over a Toyota (different with a Lexus).
    #14 and D10S Forever. Gràcies and R.I.P Johan.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information