Ronda announces new Automatic movement? Auto Shinola soon?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ronda announces new Automatic movement? Auto Shinola soon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ronda announces new Automatic movement? Auto Shinola soon?

As a guy from Detroit, I really would like to support the home team and own a Shinola. The case construction seems very well done (though I am not a fan of the butterfly clasps on their bracelets, I find flip clasps like those found on Rolex and Omega bracelets to be much more comfortable). What has kept me from purchasing one of their watches is the fact that they use quartz movements. However, their supplier, Ronda just announced at Basel that they are going to begin producing their first automatic movement in decades (a competitor to the ETA 2824). Does this mean that Shinola might create some new pieces utilizing Ronda's new automatic movement? Who knows, but a guy can dream. I always told myself I would buy a Shinola as soon as they created an automatic watch. If I'm lucky, I'll get to finally own one in the next year or two. Time will tell (no pun intended).

Re: Ronda announces new Automatic movement? Auto Shinola soon?

Well, I assume they could have sourced automatic movements from somewhere else previously if they really wanted to.

I would guess they have focussed on quartz thus far because they wanted to, rather than Ronda not having an auto.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I remember reading that they have some kind of relationship with Ronda that included Ronda personnel training their assembly workers in Detroit. If they do go ahead with automatic movements, I'm sure we will hear a lot about it. Good for Ronda though, more alternatives to ETA is a good thing.
    Domo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

^ ok, didn't realise the relationship was there above just buying movements. It's possible that precluded them from buying movements from others.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    ^ ok, didn't realise the relationship was there above just buying movements. It's possible that precluded them from buying movements from others.
    Possibly. But it wouldn't surprise me that Shinola didn't offer watches with automatic movements because the vast majority of watch buyers don't care about movements. Unlike watch collectors, who, for many reasons, prefer mechanical to quartz (in spite of the superiority of the latter in terms of time-keeping and innovation in horology), the average person wants a watch with no muss and no fuss.

Like Willie Sutton or any smart business person, the folks behind Shinola went where the money was. Think of it this way: RGM has plenty of street cred among watch enthusiasts. But outside of a GMC truck ad, no one among the masses knows or cares about its watches. That's fine because it has chosen that approach. Shinola has different goals, some of which are similar to Fossil (which was cofounded by the guy who runs Shinola), as well as has an interested in employing more people in Detroit. Going the RGM route would not help Shinola accomplish any of its goals.

This isn't to say that Shinola couldn't eventually offer watches with mechanical movements. It probably will. But the first step for Shinola isn't to win the backing of the one percent of watch owners are collectors. It's winning the 99 percent of watch owners who don't know or care about the difference between a Ronda quartz and a Miyota automatic.
    Last edited by Sevenmack; March 24th, 2016 at 20:30.
    TLud, NightOwl and bald1der like this.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040-07A Silver Ice, FitBit Charge 2

When it is introduced, I'll be at the front of the line. I love my Shinola Runwell and will happily add an automatic cousin to the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sevenmack likes this.
    Michael

The Better
    Rolex Oysterquartz day/date 19018 (yellow gold); Rolex Oyster Perpetual day/date 18039 (white gold); Rolex Yachtmaster 116622; Omega Seamaster Co-Axial Professional 2220.80; Eterna KonTiki Date 1220.41.63.0268; Ball Engineer Master II Aviator GMT GM1086C-L1-BK; Franck Muller Casablanca 5850 (Salmon dial); Panerai Luminor Marina PAM 111; Frederic Constant Vintage Rally Healey GMT FC350CH5B4

The Good
    Smiths Everest PRS-25, Seiko SKX009 Seiko Mini Ice Monster SRP481K1 Tissot T-Race T472; Technomarine Yacht; Citizen Aqualand (circa 1989); Swiss Legend Sprinter; Stuhrling Adamas Open Heart Regulator; Shinola Runwell 41mm; Raymond Weil Tango 5560; Benrus Curvex (Circa 1930); Seiko 5 Automatic SNK805

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfaso View Post
    Does this mean that Shinola might create some new pieces utilizing Ronda's new automatic movement?
    I read an article where the owner said they don't have any plans to move to an automatic movement. From what I've read they like being able to say their watches are "hand made" in Detroit and it takes much greater skills to assemble an auto movement than it does a quartz. In fact, in 2014 they only had two watch makers putting the movements together. Then they went down the assembly line.

An interesting read on Shinola and where everything is actually made here: Shinola Watches - Made in Detroit? ? Gentleman's Gazette

I would be willing to bet $$$ Shinola eventually releases a mechanical.

I think that would be a good thing. I quite like the designs, but the lack of a mechanical movement holds me back from seriously considering one.

Very interesting though....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information