Rotor recoil noise?

Thread: Rotor recoil noise?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rotor recoil noise?

Hello. I have a concern and I’m hoping someone can provide some info.

I’ve owned a Breitling Chronomat for a little over a month now. I’m happy with the watch but I recently noticed a noise that I’m not sure is normal. When held close to my ear and rotated, I hear the normal rotor whirl, but immediately after is a “recoil” noise. Almost like someone is flicking a tiny spring or jumping off a tiny diving board (best analogy I can think of.)
    I’ve owned a couple other autos and never heard this noise before. Is this normal or should I get this checked out?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Rotor recoil noise?

I think the little flicking you hear is just the rotor stopping/slowing spinning.

Think of spinning a quarter. At first it spins fast, on its axis perfectly and rather quiet, then begins to spin flatter and get noisier as the whole round outer edge beats on the table. By the end it's basically rotating on it's outer rim and banging around noisier as it's momentum wains.

Modern automatics wind whenever the rotor spins clockwise and counter. I think that noise you hear is all the gears engaging and disengaging as the momentum is captured and stored in the mainspring. But it's happening faster and faster, as the arc of the rotor spinning decreases, and the gears engage and disengage quicker and quicker, in turn.

I think your watch has an ETA 2892 movement (or a 2824?), just can't recall 100% what Breitling is using these days... Also depends on the date and spec model of your watch. I can certainly hear the rotor on mine,I have an Omega and Breitling using these ETA movements.

Assuming it's new/relatively new, used and not hard core abused, and you don't hear any grinding/ metal on metal contact, and the watch is keeping good time, I'd say it's just the movement being the movement. If you bought it at a local AD, with a watchmaker, you can always pop in and ask him to spin the watch and give it a listen. I doubt there's enough to justify paying to send it in for a repair or warranty work with just this.
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

You have an older Bumper movement.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stark View Post
    You have an older Bumper movement.
    That's interesting, I've never owned or held one, so don't know what it sounds like. I suppose the noise would be the rotor hitting the stop, then slowly bouncing to a stop, basically?
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

To clarify, this is a brand new (redesigned Chronomat) watch with an in-house B01 movement. It does kind of sound like the rotor is bouncing off but I don’t think this is a bumper movement.

Okay, so not really any of the 3 we mentioned above... I've also never handled that one either. How's it keeping time, and do all the controls work? Search around on the forum here for rotor noise, some more stuff should pop up.
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

It’s keeping good time and all the functions are working fine. I’ve been searching pretty extensively the last day or so but haven’t found anything that sounds like what I’m hearing. I’m admittedly ocd about this stuff so maybe I’m making a problem out of nothing but it’s been driving me a little crazy since I’ve noticed it.

I shall ask the obvious: Is it still under warranty? If new it should be and I would absolutely have it checked out. Why not achieve peace of mind?

FWIW, I have a JLC master control sector dial and it also makes a "whirring" noise as the rotor spins. I would have been concerned, but I read about the same phenomenon on a review of the watch by gear patrol so I think it's just normal. It does strike me as a bit of an odd flaw for a $5000+ watch, but hey, it adds character right!?!

Perhaps the mainspring is fully wound and you're hearing the clutch slipping?