A sad farewell to a fine watch company
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: A sad farewell to a fine watch company

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A sad farewell to a fine watch company

A lesser known, but very well respected watch company has closed its doors this past Monday. It is indeed sad to see a fine maker of watches leave us.

Name:  Guinand40L.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  173.8 KB

Guinand-Uhren Helmut Sinn GmbH, owned by Helmut Sinn, and purchased by Herr Sinn after his departure from the company which still bears his name, has ceased operations as of June 30th. As I understand it, its managing director, Herr Horst Hassler, is retiring, and Helmut Sinn himself is into his late 90s and had no longer been involved in its operation.

Guinand had been a longtime supplier to Sinn, and manufactured a line of watches that were noted for high quality and a fine price/performance ratio. I purchased my 40.50.02 some months ago and it has become my favorite daily wearer (largely replacing my Omega 300M Seamaster GMT). My Guinand is very similar to the Sinn 103, and includes sapphire crystals front and rear, and a very nicely decorated 7750 movement which has been impressively accurate.

See review of this watch by forum member Ahkeelt, from whom I acquired my watch:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/guin...es-753096.html

When Ahkeelt listed the watch, he mentioned a very small scratch on the bezel (really only perceptible under very close examination), and finding out that Guinand would soon cease operations, I emailed Mr. Hassler to order a replacement. His reponses were usually within a few hours (we are, after alll, half a dozen time zones away), and he sent me a bezel which arrived on Monday. He had asked for a wire payment, explaining that they were not able to take credit cards or Paypal. This confused me at the time, but given the information about their closing, it now makes sense. When I emailed him asking if I could just send a check, he responded that I should just consider it a gift to a Guinand customer. I like to think that this was a kind last order of business for Guinand, though I realize that practically speaking it was probably a very small detail not worth bothering with. Nonetheless, generous of spirit.

I want to thank Mr. Hassler for his most diligent and professional service, and both Herren Hassler and Sinn for a very fine product. The watch community is diminished by their departure.
    Last edited by dbakiva; July 3rd, 2014 at 15:12.
    lvt, iceman66, valmak and 24 others like this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: A sad farewell to a fine watch company

Dear customers, dear business partners,

We are sorry to inform you that

GUINAND-UHREN Helmut Sinn GmbH

will be closing its business as of June 30th, 2014.

If you have questions or need assistance, we will still be available

through telephone and e-mail until September 30th, 2014.

All warranty-related requests as well as repair and maintenance

requests on products purchased by GUINAND-UHREN will be

handled as of July 1st, 2014 by

>>> Uhrenwerkstatt Huneke <<<

Our sincerest thanks for your trust in GUINAND-UHREN products

and for your cooperation,

Your team at GUINAND
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Nice story OP. A real shame as Guinand made some good looking watches.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sad indeed.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

They are (were) very good watches at very reasonable prices. The payment process you describe was not due to their impending closure. It's the way they always operated. The purchase of my Guinand involved navigating an antiquated non-English website, several e-mail exchanges between myself and Mr Hassler, faxing an order form and undertaking an international wire transfer.

It was worth it, but I can't help but think that this cumbersome process was the primary reason that they never became more popular. It was certainly no fault of the product or pricing. Mr Hassler was always helpful, and I've heard of many examples of where he undertook special requests and modifications at no extra cost. It's indeed a sad day, but I wish him well in his retirement.

lvt

Never seen, never heard about this brand.

Why they didn't just sell the company to someone else ?
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Very nice story by the OP. Thank you for enlightening many if us about this company.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    They are (were) very good watches at very reasonable prices. The payment process you describe was not due to their impending closure. It's the way they always operated. The purchase of my Guinand involved navigating an antiquated non-English website, several e-mail exchanges between myself and Mr Hassler, faxing an order form and undertaking an international wire transfer.

It was worth it, but I can't help but think that this cumbersome process was the primary reason that they never became more popular. It was certainly no fault of the product or pricing. Mr Hassler was always helpful, and I've heard of many examples of where he undertook special requests and modifications at no extra cost. It's indeed a sad day, but I wish him well in his retirement.

It it is a shame. I was considering buying one myself, but found the ordering process and the website too complicated and focused on finding used examples (never found one in my price range).
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

I can't tell you how many times I visited that site. Fascinating watches. Kind of like Sinn, but more exotic.

What a bummer to only find out about the existence of this company in a thread about their demise. Wish I'd have known of them in time to investigate their line and maybe actually buy one. 8^(

Why did Herr Sinn leave Sinn Spezialuhren?
    Der Amf likes this.
    I am Dyslexia of Borg. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information