A Sad Story (Tissot content)
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: A Sad Story (Tissot content)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Sad Story (Tissot content)

Well, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a Tissot Visodate (silver face). I've been in love with this watch for quite some time, had a hard time finding the silver dialed version, waited, and finally found one. It arrived after about a week and I was immediately in love. Everything was great for about the first 10 days - we were honeymooning, I was neglecting all my other pieces...you guys know how it goes.

Then this morning, I looked down at my wrist to check the time (ok, to gaze at my newly acquired beauty and make 'cooing' noises...) and notices that the time was off. Way off. So it took it off and was about to reset the time when I noticed something: the minute hand was FREELY moving every time I turned the watch. Like if you rotate it 90 degrees, the minute hand just swings around the watch...what the hell?

So I pull the crown out to try setting the time and to see what it'll do...yeah, now the minute hand won't turn with the crown...but it still moves freely whenever I move the watch.

Here's my main problem: I took a chance and ordered this from a gray market seller on Amazon. It was a decent price and, having ordered gray market before, thought "what the hell...I've never had a problem before, it won't happen this time, either..." I emailed them this morning (several hours ago) and have yet to get a response. I called a local watch repair guy, who is licensed to work on ETA movements, and he told me I can bring it in and he'll look at it. Whether he can fix it or not is irrelevant - it'll cost me money when I just paid close to $500 for this brand new Tissot. Hopefully the seller, whose storefront name I won't mention until I get a response, gets back to me today.

I'm very aware of the risk you carry when buying a Tissot from anywhere besides an AD...but man, I didn't think this would happen to me. Anyone have a similar experience with an ETA watch? Anyone know what the issue might be here - and if it's going to be expensive to fix? Perhaps my money will be refunded, but I doubt it - they'll probably ask me to send it back to them, then they'll outsource the work and I won't see my watch again for months...this SUCKS.

Any feedback here?

Here's a crappy pic for reference:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: A Sad Story (Tissot content)

You could be protected via Amazons buyer policy (I'd check this out first, before you go spending anymore money on the watch).

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

The hazards of buying grey market - sometimes you get customer returns.

Yes, I agree. Don't open the watch or do anything to it. If the seller does not respond today then file a claim with Amazon and notify your credit card company. Your credit card company will suspend the charge while they investigate. In my experience Amex diligently follows complaints up and usually issues a final credit within 60 days. I'm sure the other big card companies will do likewise.
    Last edited by John MS; December 13th, 2011 at 00:11.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That sucks man. I don't think it'll be that expensive to fix. I'm not a watchmaker, but I do play one on TV and I fix the occasional clock in real life. Anyway, I suspect the minute hand is not aligned on the center wheel shaft so the rotation of the center wheel has no impact on the minutes hand, and it's allowed to fall freely. I see this on clocks pretty often.
    dougcee likes this.

lvt

I think the minute hand might not be properly inserted , it should be an easy fix for a watchmaker, if he can fix your watch for $15 it's still a good deal.
    CitizenM and mikeynd like this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I would just send it back. Then again, I only order directly from Amazon, not a third party seller because these are situations that I really would want to avoid. If there is a problem as soon as I get a watch, back it goes.

Thanks for the insight, guys. Interestingly, just a few minutes after I submitted this thread, I got a call from the Amazon dealer, which I was not expecting. He was very professional and understanding, and offered to have my watch fixed free of charge with shipping both ways taken care of. Apparently they sell a lot of Tissot's and, when and if there happens to be an issue with one of them, they actually have it fixed at a Tissot store in LA. He assured me that this was a fairly common issue in many watches of all types, and that he could have it fixed in one day for about $20...To be honest, I thought he was just saying that and didn't know whether or not to believe him.

Long story short, I asked if it would be ok to have a (very reputable) watchmaker in my city take a look at it first. This would save me a long time of having to wait for my watch to be back on my wrist. Not only did he agree to this, he told me to send him the bill and his company will pay for it. So I took it to my watch guy and, lo and behold, he said this is a fairly common problem that he's seen before, and he can fix it quickly and for cheap! All in all, I'm quite happy with how the Amazon seller has handled my issue, and look forward to having my Visodate back this week.

Thanks again for the input. And I've learned my lesson this time about buying a fairly expensive watch from a source I wasn't 100% sure about.
    CitizenM and corn cob kid like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chris in ohio View Post
    … I emailed them this morning (several hours ago) and have yet to get a response. …
    Give them at least a day or two to respond. For email, I would generally be quite impressed with a response within a few hours. Then, as others have pointed out, contact Amazon.

Edit: Never mind. I'm glad to hear they got back to you.
    Last edited by Chaos215bar2; December 13th, 2011 at 05:27.

After your watch maker fixes it, ask him specifically what was up. I'm curious if I got this one right.

But good news all around.
    chris in ohio likes this.

Will do - but I have a feeling you were indeed right. My watch guy said it was common and so did you. I'm just relieved that this isn't a serious problem, and hopefully the only ​issue I have with this watch.
    CitizenM likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information