Safe to just start using this watch?

Thread: Safe to just start using this watch?

Safe to just start using this watch?

I recently acquired an automatic chrono (ETA 7751-based) from someone whose father had owned it. Watch is 10 years old and it sounds like it may have spent most of the last few years sitting in a safe. I shook it around gently and the seconds hand started moving smoothly, so I think it's basically functional (the guy said he had worn it a couple times and it seemed to work fine but he didn't know much about watches and didn't want to make claims he wasn't sure about).

My question is, would I harm the movement by winding it up and trying it out after it has sat so long? I don't live near any watchmakers (I'm in the Allentown/Bethlehem area in PA) and don't want to spend money on a mail-in check-up unnecessarily, but also don't want to damage the watch. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: Safe to just start using this watch?

The watch needs to be serviced most likely. I wouldn't wear the watch full time until it is serviced. If the watch has sat in a safe the last few years, more than likely the lubricants have all congealed.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

Well, I doubt the lubricants have congealed; it's been sitting in a safe, not buried in the backyard like a bone. But I agree a service would be in order. You're in Allentown, so while you may not be able to walk to a proper jeweller, you're just a hop from Philly, and there are enough in that area that can help you out. Lots of proper jewellers like the 775x movements, they are not difficult to service.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

It's a triple calendar watch ? If so request a price before sending it in, servicing an ETA.7751 based watch costs several hundreds of $$$ in my town because it's more complicated and needs a competent watchmaker.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

A quick Google search shows a watchmaker in Allentown. Have you ever visited his shop to check him out?

Thanks for the responses and the tip on a watchmaker in Allentown - I'll check it out. I had been looking at the AWCI's directory of certified people, and they didn't show anyone for my area.

10 years is not a long time these days. Lubricants have been better for some time. I'd certainly try it out until you can get it serviced. If the watch is running slow, that would indicate more serious lubrication or service issues.
    "My grail showed up today"

Best would be to time the watch and view it on a decent timing machine. Any problems should show.

Running a watch with problems just makes more problems.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

You should check out the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors museum in Columbia, I think it's not too far from you. They some cool exhibits, I went last month and they had a whole exhibit on James Bond watches.

And, they have a school there. I asked about it when I was there and they said they can service your watch. It's probably further than your local guy but all in all you could make a pretty good Saturday out of it.

Thread Information