is it safe to say....
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: is it safe to say....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

is it safe to say....

doing alot of thinking reading the rolex vs omega thread.......rolex clearly wins......

surprised at the omega bashing however........well not really considering many just know the NAME Rolex implys more....

anyways...based on criteria ** movement, finishing, assembly, history etc is it safe to say.....

GS is #2 in the 'affordable' luxury class?

1) Rolex
    2) GS
    3)Omega/IWC/Panerai
    4) Breitling/Tudor

Re: is it safe to say....

Affordable?? never even enters the conversation, they are all made for under $1000 and sold for vastly inflated prices.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; July 9th, 2016 at 23:30.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Affordable?? never even enters the conversation, they are all made for under $1000 and sold for vastly inflated prices.

what was i thinking?

markups are much less on a seiko skx007....your right....

sub/seiko skx007...same watch different markup

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
    doing alot of thinking reading the rolex vs omega thread.......rolex clearly wins......

surprised at the omega bashing however........well not really considering many just know the NAME Rolex implys more....

anyways...based on criteria ** movement, finishing, assembly, history etc is it safe to say.....

1) Rolex
    2) GS
    3)Omega/IWC/Panerai
    4) Breitling/Tudor

That could be a tough one.
    I don't own any watches on that list...yet...but I would imagine that within similar price brackets you would find quality to be similar as well, brand wars aside of course.

It's hard to compare a watch just based on its price bracket though since a lot of what you are paying for in a luxury brand is not related to the watches physical attributes, but rather the company and reputation behind it.
    Make it hurt so bad, 'cause it feels so good when you stop.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchMedic View Post
    I don't own any watches on that list...yet...but I would imagine that within similar price brackets you would find quality to be similar as well, brand wars aside of course.

It's hard to compare a watch just based on its price bracket though since a lot of what you are paying for in a luxury brand is not related to the watches physical attributes, but rather the company and reputation behind it.
    agreed but like it or not 'brands' have 'brackets' or 'classes'...

rolex does not compete against PP VC,AP or ALS etc...they compete against brands i listed...aka...'affordable' luxury....

1) Rolex
    2) GS
    3)Omega/IWC/Panerai
    4) Breitling/Tudor

Forgot to add hype, brand awareness, status and everything intangible as criteria.....
    The "finishing" concept is really funny in this forum...have seen praising watches with basic cases, hands, ONE type of finishing as good finished... Hublot makes a case that it's basically a work of art, the Bulgari Octo (caliber asides) smokes every watch below 10.000€....but never saw these ones referenced as good finishing

You guys are too funny
    pook187 likes this.

agreed but like it or not 'brands' have 'brackets' or 'classes'...

rolex does not compete against PP VC,AP or ALS etc...they compete against brands i listed...aka...'affordable' luxury....
    true, but I was referring to similarly priced watches in the brands you mentioned. IE, not comparing a $2k Omega to an $8k Rolex. I think you would have to compare an omega and rolex of similar price.
    Make it hurt so bad, 'cause it feels so good when you stop.

...based on criteria ** movement, finishing, assembly, history etc is it safe to say.....

1) Rolex
    2) GS
    3)Omega/IWC/Panerai
    4) Breitling/Tudor

If Rolex and Panerai are in that category and compared at AD prices, imho GO, JLC and (maybe) Zenith belong on the list ahead of (really, to the exclusion of) Breitling and Tudor. I'll leave it to the Seikopaths to weigh in on the relative merits of GS
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

true, but I was referring to similarly priced watches in the brands you mentioned. IE, not comparing a $2k Omega to an $8k Rolex. I think you would have to compare an omega and rolex of similar price.
    Yep, even inside Omega there are several levels....

The Speedy Pro always gets support around here but let's be clear that is far from being the best Omega watch (and yes, I have one and enjoy it a lot), but boy, my Mark II (that is not even a "top range" Omega) smokes the Speedy Pro on every tangible aspect.

I was having lunch with a friend a few days ago and he has a seldom seen Omega around here (Seamaster Chronograph ceramic Cal 3300)...this watch gets no love around this forum and yet it's clearly a better watch vs the Speedy Pro on every tangible aspect

Btw took a picture during the lunch :)

Ever increasing prices due to ever more worthless 'fiat', especially in the age of zero or negative interest rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information