Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is it safe to store a watch in a safe?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is it safe to store a watch in a safe?

Hi everyone, I recently went on a 4-month trip during which I kept one of my watches stored at home in a gun safe (just figured it would be better to keep it in there for security). The watch has a medium brown leather strap. When I returned home, I took the watch out of the safe and noticed that some parts of the strap appear to have become darker, so the leather is no longer a uniform brown anymore.

To be perfectly honest, I am not 100% sure that this isn't all in my head, but I am reasonably sure that I'm right and that the strap did not have these darker spots prior to the trip. I'm also not sure if this is just how leather is supposed to behave (change a little as it ages?)

I was wondering if leather like this is supposed to be left out in the open so that it can breathe, or if it is acceptable to store watches in an airtight safe like this. There is no dehumidifier or anything in the safe, however I also store electronics in it without issue so I'm relatively sure that there is no moisture getting in.

Just want to know what you would recommend. I'm very much a novice when it comes to storage and maintenance. Thanks.

Re: Is it safe to store a watch in a safe?

Interesting question regarding the leather. I keep my watches in a safe and never gave it much thought.

I wonder if the guns might secrete any chemicals that could affect the leather?

I've not seen many gun safes that are humidity proof. It may have been the safe kept the area more humid than the ambient. I've also seen people with really poorly kept guns with all kinds of residual, oils, powder, and such on them. If that is in the safe with leather it may cause some changes too.

I just keep mine in a watch case so its not a secure atmosphere controlled whatever and its fine. Though the box does get open every now and then and doesn't share space with anything else.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For God sake don't store it in the safe! You might forget the combination and be unable to retrieve it.

On a more serious note, was the strap moist due to sweat when you stored it in the safe? If so, the color change might be attributed to mildew growth. That safe actually serves as a large incubator in which organic material may decompose over time.
    Last edited by T1meout; February 24th, 2015 at 00:37.

Thanks for the replies. Keeping it in the watch case and then putting the watch case inside the safe sounds like it could be a better idea for next time, I'll try that.

T1meout - no, it shouldn't have been moist when I put it in, as I hadn't worn it for at least a week prior.

What would you suggest as far as storage, if not a safe? It seems like keeping it out somewhere would be unnecessarily risky

The home safe I use came with a packaged dessicant. The instructions are to keep the package in the safe and air out the safe itself by leaving the door open for periods of time. Moisture was the primary reason. Not at all familiar with any other type safe or situations . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Fears Watch Company * Invicta * International Watch Company * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Marnaut Méraud * Pancor Watch Company * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Stowa * Tiffany & Company

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    The home safe I use came with a packaged dessicant. The instructions are to keep the package in the safe and air out the safe itself by leaving the door open for periods of time. Moisture was the primary reason. Not at all familiar with any other type safe or situations . . .
    Ah yes that too. I've got a lot of dessicant packets and I've a couple in my watch case (yes I know its odd since I open it so much). I also have them in my safe that holds my papers and such. Sure it's an airtight safe, but when I open it moisture gets in. I'd rather it soak in the packet than in my important documents.

You can also buy the dessicant packs that you can "recharge" by baking in the oven. They're not expensive. You can find them on Amazon. Or buy a bunch of foodstuffs at an Asian food store. Every other food comes with dessicant packs that are outside the food.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    This. When I lived on the east coast, desiccant was a necessity because I actually had rust appear on carbon steel parts on my safe and my paper documents were all wrinkled after a year. So I learned to have plenty of desiccant for that reason. Other than that, the safe is a great place.
    "In the Eighties we were so amazingly primitive we still thought digital watches were a pretty neat idea."

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead123 View Post
    I've not seen many gun safes that are humidity proof. It may have been the safe kept the area more humid than the ambient. I've also seen people with really poorly kept guns with all kinds of residual, oils, powder, and such on them. If that is in the safe with leather it may cause some changes too.

I just keep mine in a watch case so its not a secure atmosphere controlled whatever and its fine. Though the box does get open every now and then and doesn't share space with anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    For God sake don't store it in the safe! You might forget the combination and be unable to retrieve it.

On a more serious note, was the strap moist due to sweat when you stored it in the safe? If so, the color change might be attributed to mildew growth. That safe actually serves as a large incubator in which organic material may decompose over time.
    I don't know what you guys are thinking? Safes are one of the least humidified areas (or should be). They come with dessicant holders or special dehumidifiers! Humidity is not a friend to guns! Hellooo... humidity = rust!

I just checked using my hygrometer...:

My Humidor = 70%
    My House = 40%
    My Safe = >15%

Edit Again:

10 bucks on Amazon:

Mines a little more fancy with probes, accuracy, etc.
    Last edited by I Like em BIG ! !; February 24th, 2015 at 02:22.
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    This. When I lived on the east coast, desiccant was a necessity because I actually had rust appear on carbon steel parts on my safe and my paper documents were all wrinkled after a year. So I learned to have plenty of desiccant for that reason. Other than that, the safe is a great place.
    Everywhere east of the Rockies is humid as heck in the summer. And your bugs are gigantic and numerous and like to die in the billions on the sidewalks so you think you're thinking "what idiot threw barkdust all over the sidewa . . . WTF?!"

Quote Originally Posted by I Like em BIG ! ! View Post
    I don't know what you guys are thinking? Safes are one of the least humidified areas (or should be). They come with dessicant holders or special dehumidifiers! Humidity is not a friend to guns! Hellooo... humidity = rust! . . .
    That's because if you leave is closed enough all the moisture soaks in your documents. However once you open the safe the air reaches equilibrium with the ambient air. That's why you put a dessicant in. When you close the safe, it's better for all the moisture to soak in there than your papers.
    Stellite likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information