Safe way to wind an automatic
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Safe way to wind an automatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Safe way to wind an automatic

Hi All,

I've got a few automatic watches (Orient Ray, etc.) that I wear off and on so typically when I come to put one on it's wound down. Currently, to give it a bit of power I hold the watch face up in my hand and give it a few "flicks" like throwing a frisbee. I can hear the weight spin rapidly and the watch starts to work.

My question is this: Is this harmful? I'm hoping I'm not over winding, etc. due to the speed at which the weight spins.

Thanks in advance,
    Nic

Re: Safe way to wind an automatic

I doubt it...You do make a similar movement in other ways thru out the day, don't you?
    Of course you do. The watch can handle it, I think.

Hi Nic

No - it's not harmful - in fact it's the only way to wind it as the movement doesn't handwind, I don't think(?) You can't overwind it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is just how you kick start a 007. No harm.

Banned

As mentioned, you can't overwind them. I hand wind mine 40+ times when they start their weekly rotation. Don't always be fooled by the sound of the spinning rotor though. Many autos are wound only when the rotor rotates in one direction (for mine, all counterclockwise). As the spring becomes more fully wound, the rotor spins in the clockwise direction easily and rapidly, but has more resistance trying to go counterclockwise. So I may hear it spinning rapidly clockwise, but it's not winding the watch. If you don't have an exhibition caseback to see this, you can take your fully wound watch and flick to the left then to the right. Whichever way results in the rotor whirring around is the one that does you no good.

A common motion that may put less stress and shock on the balance than the frisbee flick is a gentle tomahawk throwing movement. I guess it's the same as your frisbee one, but vertical, so gravity helps the weighted rotor move as opposed to abruptly stopping the motion when horizontal (which is where the stress to the balance might be introduced). With watch on wrist and vertical to ground, swing wrist from ear to knee, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    . . . . I hand wind mine 40+ times when they start their weekly rotation. . . . .
    Any 2824's?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/f6-2...ad-866942.html
    Courtesy of ULF.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    A common motion that may put less stress and shock on the balance than the frisbee flick is a gentle tomahawk throwing movement. I guess it's the same as your frisbee one, but vertical, so gravity helps the weighted rotor move as opposed to abruptly stopping the motion when horizontal (which is where the stress to the balance might be introduced). With watch on wrist and vertical to ground, swing wrist from ear to knee, repeat.
    Ah just give it a shake and be done with it :)

I surprised no one directed the OP to this thread yet: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/i-wi...ow-879556.html
    johnr41a and T90MotoGP like this.

Hi Nic, I'm not sure if you can wind it or not to start it going (some WIS I am) but your watch will come to no harm - after all you are only emulating your normal movements. Just remember if you use the frisbee motion not to let go of your watch and throw it for the dog.

Unless wound otherwise, wind by the stem, 30 to 40 clockwise turns. The stem is used by most of the movements
    out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information