Salty/humid air - seriously worried about storage

Thread: Salty/humid air - seriously worried about storage

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salty/humid air - seriously worried about storage

Imagine you live on a boat, on the sea, in the tropics. You have this 250+ year old verge fusee pocket watch that is in absolutely perfect condition after a major service less than a year ago. You love to see the watch all the time, you love to handle it and wind the watch and admire it every now and then.

How would you keep it stored? I don't live on a boat but I do live on a tropical island ON the ocean so the same conditions apply.

I currently have it in a display dome with a giant desiccant pack at the bottom. A very small dome, just big enough for the watch to hang and barely touch the desiccant pack. It's only been 8 months since I moved to these conditions and I'm so paranoid I've only opened the display dome 2 times! I am using the desiccant packs you can get on Amazon with the beads that change colour when they are saturated with moisture. It seems that even after 8 months, the same desiccant pack is still going strong if the beads are to be believed. I'm not sure how great the seal is between the glass dome and the trench in the wood base but it seems quite good.

So I'm not so much paranoid about humidity as I am about the salt content in the air. I have seen things rust CRAZY fast since moving here. Just thinking about the inside parts of the watch that are not gilt like the springs and chain getting surface rust is really keeping me up at night.

Am I being too paranoid? Should I wrap the watch in acid free archive paper and seal it in a double seal zip-lock freezer bag with 2 desiccant packs and never open the bag again?

What do you guy think? I need some reassurance or a reality check or suggestions or something lol.

Thanks! Alex
    James Ivory 1762 #109, 1765 #167, & 1768 #199 - English verge fusee pocket watches
    Dream Watch: Breguet La Tradition Fusee Tourbillon Platinum 7047PT/11/9ZU

Re: Salty/humid air - seriously worried about storage

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
    Should I wrap the watch in acid free archive paper and seal it in a double seal zip-lock freezer bag with 2 desiccant packs and never open the bag again?

What do you guy think? I need some reassurance or a reality check or suggestions or something lol.
    If you're looking for a long-term storage solution and don't mind not being able to see the watch, I think you'll be fine if you clean it thoroughly to get rid of any salt residue that may have settled in and then put it in the zip lock bag.

However, if you really want to be safe, you can double up on the zip-lock bags (one inside the other with each bag having its own desiccant). This might be overkill but what's the downside of being overly cautious? Zip-lock bags and desiccant are dirt cheap...
    Well, I was standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ and Clara Oswald slowed down to take a look at me and my GS Tiffany SnowflakeTM...

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post

I don't live on a boat but I do live on a tropical island ON the ocean so the same conditions apply.

Thanks! Alex
    Not trying to be flippant, and don't have much advice for this particular situation - but personally:

I'd do my best to protect it while enjoying it, and thank my lucky stars about the whole "tropical island on the ocean" part!!
    my positive feedback - search "omega1300" in the feedback forum!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would like to still enjoy it and not put it away in bags :/

What about putting say 2 new desiccant packs in the bottom of the dome them sealing the glass to the wood with a bead of clear silicone? At least then I could still see the watch.

The once a year I can open it, run the watch, then seal it back with new desiccant packs again.

Would that protect it enough?
    Last edited by anguilla1980; July 10th, 2016 at 03:56.
    James Ivory 1762 #109, 1765 #167, & 1768 #199 - English verge fusee pocket watches

Quote Originally Posted by omega1300 View Post
    and thank my lucky stars about the whole "tropical island on the ocean" part!!
    Well I was born here and I'm not rich. Life is quote a hustle just to pay the bills. Plus everything is TWICE the cost or more than in the US with lower wages and a higher cost of living in general. So yeah, it's kinda sucks lol. But, I do have a great view haha! I saved for a long time to get this watch and spend the same amount again getting it gone through properly. Right now I keep the dome on my night stand so I can see it every day.
    Last edited by anguilla1980; July 10th, 2016 at 03:58.

Dry box.

"Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Wow, interesting. I looked it up, this one would do the trick: AIPO MALAYSIA

I'll do some more research and maybe I'll get one. Thanks!

Put it in a Zip-lock bag with a small bag of silica gel then put that in a cupboard with a big dish of dry rice. The idea is that the small bag of gel will help protect the watch without drawing too much moisture from the oils in the movement (that's the idea anyway) and the rice will help keep the whole thing moisture free.

If your home is air conditioned and the humidity gets to 40% then don't do anything other than rinse off dried salt water. If not then you should get the seals pressure checked. As long as those are ok there really is no need to use dessicant.

Oops...that advice is for a modern watch. For your 250 year old watch use dessicant unless you live in an air conditioned home.
    Last edited by John MS; July 10th, 2016 at 18:18.

The best you could do is to not expose it to rain. A little bit of salty seaside air is fine but the rain in the tropics will wreck vintage watches and other things

I do not keep my watches in a dry box as I like the convenience of taking them out whenever I want but my violin is kept in a temperature controlled room to keep the moisture out. It's a 24 year old handmade violin (1992) and the last thing I want is mold getting into the bridge or neck of the violin.

I believe OP is from Penang Island?
    Ne parle pas Francais. Parle anglais, si vous plait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information