Scammed on ebay - what to do now?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Scammed on ebay - what to do now?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Haf

Angry Scammed on ebay - what to do now?

I know this gets asked frequently, but this is the first time I get scammed and I would really appreciate some advice and good words to cheer me up

Last week I won the auction for an IWC Portofino automatic, the Belgium seller dispatched the watch quickly and in 3 days it arrived by EMS mail. I picked up the package today from the postal office only to find out the seller "forgot" to include the actual watch, all I got was a box full of paper sheets, magazine sheets to be more precise. The seller has 1228 feedback ratings with 99.4% positive feedback and by some random chance decided to scam me.

What are my options now? I payed with paypal, should I open a dispute with ebay/paypal? Contacting the seller is pretty much out of the question since this is obviously a scam. Are there any solid chances to get my money back from paypal?

Thanks in advance

Re: Scammed on ebay - what to do now?

i would definitely contact seller first. There may be an actual slight chance that he got scammed as well. Might be his shipping method was on to him shipping high end watches and knew what one of his pieces were worth. 1228 feedback with 99.4% positive is pretty high, even in todays ebay where negative feedback is almost impossible to leave. He/She might even be the scammer looking to get more for an insurance claim than for what he got on the bay. You're going to have to contact him anyway, mind as well do it cordially and quickly. Good luck, and yes there is a probability you did get scammed, and if thats the case, thats terrible in every which way, and I wish you luck. Let us know what happens please. Grandeson

I would say - immediately open dispute and also call credit card company to block payment (hoping your PayPal is linked to a CC, not bank account).

I always open packages IN the post office IN FRONT OF the person who handed it to me at the desk. So far, I have been lucky and we have smiled at nice watches. If, for some reason I end up in your shoes, I would raise a dispute/insurance claim at the post office upon opening. Fingers crossed I never need to do it, but this is my thinking...

Best of luck with the dispute - keep us updated!
    The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Haf

Thanks for the tips, I tried to open a buyer protection dispute but ebay says it is too early to open case for an item I haven't received, tomorrow is the soonest. Before opening a dispute I sent the seller a message politely asking for an explanation.

My paypal account is not linked to a CC, just a regular bank account. I did open the package on spot, but unfortunately I didn't tell to the postal workers that something was wrong with the contents of the package.

Quote Originally Posted by tom_hanx View Post
    i always open packages in the post office in front of the person who handed it to me at the desk. So far, i have been lucky and we have smiled at nice watches. If, for some reason i end up in your shoes, i would raise a dispute/insurance claim at the post office upon opening. Fingers crossed i never need to do it, but this is my thinking...
    Do you think that helps? I mean the guy at the post office could say with great ease: "Well buddy that`s what they send you."

To the OP: Start a paypal dispute immediately. I`ve had a couple of problems with sellers (not of watches, and not at that price range though). In my experience everything went fine - the seller send me a new item(he was obviously trying to scam me, after stating "it probably got lost"). My advice is to describe the situation as it is and to be calm. You`ll have to deal with this issue in the next couple of days/weeks. Good luck

Hopefully the seller will respond to you, especially given their fairly high positive feedback rating. I was not so fortunate with a purchase I made before Christmas. I bought a watch off eBay for my son, paid with PayPal, and waited...and waited...and waited. It never arrived. I sent an e-mail to the seller - no response. Sent a second e-mail three days later - no response. I opened a case with eBay, and after waiting 7 days for the seller to respond (he didn't) they refunded the full purchase price including shipping. I then re-ordered the watch through another seller, but by then Christmas was over...so, my son will have one very late present coming.

Good luck to you in your efforts.

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Quote Originally Posted by Haf View Post
    I know this gets asked frequently, but this is the first time I get scammed and I would really appreciate some advice and good words to cheer me up

Last week I won the auction for an IWC Portofino automatic, the Belgium seller dispatched the watch quickly and in 3 days it arrived by EMS mail. I picked up the package today from the postal office only to find out the seller "forgot" to include the actual watch, all I got was a box full of paper sheets, magazine sheets to be more precise. The seller has 1228 feedback ratings with 99.4% positive feedback and by some random chance decided to scam me.

What are my options now? I payed with paypal, should I open a dispute with ebay/paypal? Contacting the seller is pretty much out of the question since this is obviously a scam. Are there any solid chances to get my money back from paypal?

Thanks in advance
    1. Most Ebay sellers with a 99%+ positive feedback among 1,200 feedbacks would not simply abandon that record. Before you attempt to open a dispute and post his name all over the watch forums just take a deep breath then take this step by step. First send him an email asking for an explanation with the understanding that many people are still coming back from the December holidays. Wait a few days for a response. And most importantly don't assume he scammed you and stole the watch as you indicated on the subject line.

2. There is also the possibility that someone in the shipping chain swiped the watch so hopefully you had it sent fully insured.

3. In the USA it is to the purchasers benefit to pay by credit card when using Paypal. If you live in the USA then consider that method of payment next time.
    Last edited by John MS; January 3rd, 2011 at 20:51.

Haf

I got in contact with the seller, he responded very quickly and said the watch was packed by himself and he is going to report this to the police and ebay.

@John MS: I understand your point of view, but to me it is still a scam, no matter what has actually happened I am still missing a watch or an amount of money. I will handle this step by step to see where it goes.
    Last edited by Haf; January 3rd, 2011 at 21:15.

Did the outer shippng box look tampered with in any way as to indicate it could have been taken en route?

I do know that a favorite scam is sending empty parcels or rocks marbles etc.. Once you sign for it ,it is considered received. I have had the exact same situation some time ago; not with a watch but still a fairly costly item I purchased of the bay and was unsuccessful in resolving a damn thing with PayPal or fee bay. The seller simply provided the signed receipt and thats all she wrote. Again, this is several years ago and I did make the transaction with a seller who had arather limited feedback score. I hope your troubles will work themselves out.

Sorry to hear about that, Haf. I don't really have anything to add. Everybody has left good advice up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by PiPPoI View Post
    Do you think that helps? I mean the guy at the post office could say with great ease: "Well buddy that`s what they send you."
    I don't have any experience with shipping expensive items. But I can imagine there are a couple of reasons for opening the package on-the-spot:

1.) I don't know if the Post Office would document it somehow, essentially giving you the postal equivalent of a police report to help build a case against the scammer with eBay and PayPal.

2.) I'm sure the Post Office would like to investigate somebody who insures a stack of paper or a rock at a value of $1,000 usd or more.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information