Scary X-mas present!!! Need your opinion!

View Poll Results: Trust the wifes instinct on this one?

Voters
45. This poll is closed
  • Yep, whatever she picks out will be awesome

15 33.33%
  • It's a gamble (with a lot of money) act rational!

30 66.67%

Thread: Scary X-mas present!!! Need your opinion!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Scary X-mas present!!! Need your opinion!

So today I came home from work to a very excited wife. She told me that she found the prefect Christmas gift for me, and it's a watch! Awesome! Then she tells me it's quite expensive, and I may have to put off my grail for a bit if she bought it (as well as a birthday gift, but no big deal there). She showed me the site it was on and I scanned though it. It can be found here www.coolvintagewatches.com She then told me I did not click on the watch she had picked out, and it was not a marque that I normally talk about. Now I found several watches on that site that are very cool, and that I'd love to own, and that if she picked it out for me would make it that much more special. She's waiting for me to tell her to do it, or not. What would you do?

Re: Scary X-mas present!!! Need your opinion!

Just like with jewelry, I think it's always worth it to show the person what you like ahead of time (especially if it is expensive). I know that it takes some (or maybe even all) of the surpise out of the gift-giving experience, but it is really the only way to guarantee that you don't get something that you don't much care for, and then find yourself in the uncomfortable position of deciding whether to tell her that, or pretend that you like something that you really don't, so as not to risk hurting her feelings.

If you like several of the models on the site, maybe leave her a somewhat obvious hint as to the ones you would like, and find a subtle way of telling her that the others don't really do much for you? Just a thought/suggestion. This approach has always worked for me and my wife.

<EDIT> I just checked out the site, and realized that I never knew how much I like vintage watches! Lots of pieces in there that look fantastic!

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Last edited by Timewaster; November 8th, 2009 at 03:40.
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Hmm, She might think that she knows you so well that she can't possibly pick out something you wouldn't like. Then again, it might have been a ruse and she will now pick out one of the watches you pointed to. I say go for it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Timewaster View Post

<EDIT> I just checked out the site, and realized that I never knew how much I like vintage watches! Lots of pieces in there that look fantastic!

Regards,
    -Jeff

Yeah, there's a lot of cool stuff on there, that's kind of the problem. They have so many watches. I know, horrible problem to have.

Sounds like a crap shoot. Watches are like clothes. Unless the person knows exactly what I like, I hate getting clothes as a gift. We're finicky people, and the smallest detail might make us hate something. Im sure it would hurt her less to be upfront about it now than to waste her money and thoughtfulness on something that you dont like. Remember, youre gonna have to wear that watch forever.

My soon to be wife likes certain types of jewelry, purses, and shoes, expensive shoes! And she knows I like my watches and sunglasses. We know not to presume on a total surprise when it comes to these high dollar gifts. What we do is give each other two or three or four different choices (via e-mail) in a wide price range, Maximum price range being what our budget will allow at the time. Example: I would much rather have a $100 dollar Seiko then a $500 (brand I don’t like or respect). This way its still a surprise, I would wear it often and she would be happy that I like it. And vice versa.
    Give her some choices from the least expensive to the most on that site and let her decide what to spend. Unless you already know her max budget. as the receiver you still get what you like! post pics when you get it.

I personally would want to know. Unfortunately, I have never been lucky enough to receive a watch as a gift. I have bought a couple times and in both cases. I did ask the recipient if she wanted to see the choices that I thought she would like then she made the final choice. I do the same for jewelry, I dont necessity have the best taste and I want who is getting the gift to really like it. So I think even if you know which watch you are getting its going to be an agonizing wait, and you will be pretty excited when you get it.

I just read All Balls! post I forgot about shoes and bags, for that stuff I usually get good "hints"
    Last edited by c7aea; November 8th, 2009 at 04:49.

While normally I would say to discuss big ticket purchases so there's no unhappy surprises, in this case I would say let her pick out the watch for you. She's found a very cool site and you've looked at it together. I suspect she has some idea of the sorts of watches you like, you've clicked on some of the watches there and have stated there are plenty of nice ones. I too just took a look there and there are many wonderful looking watches. In my case they're all too small for me (46-48 mm works best, and there's next to nothing vintage in that size range) But, as long as you can wear vintage sized watches I'd say let it be a surprise!

I just thought of something else. Maybe ask her which page its on, and then tell her which of those she definitely should NOT get you. Its leaves her with a lot of options, and you definitely wont get one you hate.

It's a tricky situation if you ask me. If she picks one you don't like then you risk hurting her feelings when she was obvioulsy trying to buy something SHE thinks you'd like. At least she cares enough to try to please you, so whatever she gets you have to love it even if you don't like it. Good luck.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information