scratch removal

Thread: scratch removal

Banned

scratch removal

i want to throw myself on the greater knowledge and wisdom of my fellow members in determining what scratches can and cannot be buffed or polished. i've never tried using a cape cod cloth mainly cause i thought i'd screw things up and make things worst. i've attached some photos for reference. also would it be better to bring it to a watch repair guy? the case side scratch is from an adjacent watch in my watchbox. the bracelet i don't have a clue. i'm pretty careful wearing them and i haven't worn this one all that much.

Name:  watch u seek intro 067.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  160.8 KB

Name:  watch u seek intro 069.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  134.6 KB

Name:  watch u seek intro 068.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  166.8 KB

Re: scratch removal

For polished surfaces (from the pic it looks like that what you want) I use NEVR-DULL wadding polish. And for brushed surfaces I use a scotch brite pad.
    For all of those small links it might be a good idea to bring it to a jeweler or some place where they have a nice soft buffing pad that can get in all the hard to reach areas. Its up to you and how much you want to spend. Try polishing it yourself and if your not satisfied, bring it a place.
    Last edited by c7aea; November 24th, 2009 at 03:19.

For the minor surface scratches shown in your pictures, a cape cod cloth or similar should do wonders. I bought three 2 packs a few months back and I'm still using the first cloth. They're cheap and work well for small blemishes. The only real concern I've found with cape cod cloths is to avoid any "Brushed" surfaces you don't want polished.

For case restoration here is a detailed "How To"
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=301152
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cope cod cloth will remove all those scratches you've posted. Cape cod cloth should be used on polished areas. Scotch-brite by 3M pads should be used for brushed surfaces.

~Ross

Quote Originally Posted by dojoca View Post
    i've never tried using a cape cod cloth mainly cause i thought i'd screw things up and make things worst.
    Its pretty hard to screw things up. They are very mild and really cant cause any damage, unless your crystal has an AR coating on t he outside--in which case youll want to make sure and avoid the crystal.

You can also try Sunshine polishing cloths. They are similar to Cape Cods, but they are dry.

I just use a tube of Flitz polish, pretty aggressive stuff but it buffs out most scratches. I also apply it to brushed surfaces on my cheaper watches, which means the original look changes somewhat. But hey, at least the scratches are gone

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Burnham View Post
    I just use a tube of Flitz polish, pretty aggressive stuff but it buffs out most scratches. I also apply it to brushed surfaces on my cheaper watches, which means the original look changes somewhat. But hey, at least the scratches are gone
    I was told by a jeweler when I was in Dublin to try Euthymol for polishing plastic crystals and bracelets. It worked well and I get it from this drugstore http://www.directchemist.com/euthymo...e_1_10931.html it is great for cleaning too and I use it with an old electric toothbrush.

Thread Information