Screw down crown question

Thread: Screw down crown question

Screw down crown question

I recently received my Hamilton Khaki Navy GMT back from service. It had, and maybe still has, an issue with one of its screw-down crowns. The winding/setting screw down crown stopped working (basically, it wouldn't screw down) after I'd had the watch for 30 days, so it spend a couple of months with Hamilton being fixed...

On the repaired watch, the crown will now screw down, but only has about 1/3 of a turn of thread engagement. The other two screw down crowns seem to have at least a turn and a half before they're fully seated.

My question is, did Hamilton actually fix my crown (or just get it good enough to send back) and is 1/3 of a turn enough to ensure 200M of water resistance?

TIA,

Cassady

Re: Screw down crown question

I don't own a Hamilton but my 3 screw-down crowns all go 2+ turns before seating. It doesn't sound right to me.
    Tom B.

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." - Louis L'Amour

Re: Screw down crown question

Quote Originally Posted by Cassady View Post
    ..it spend a couple of months with Hamilton being fixed...
    A couple of months!

I'm sure that 1/3 of a turn will seat the crown against the gasket nicely and will ensure water resistance to specification. But 1/3 of a turn doesn't sound right and is way less than any watch I've encountered. The risk is probably that contact with the watch during daily wear might slightly unscrew the crown -- just 1/3 of a turn isn't much and then it will pop fully open. Unlikely, I suppose, but the consequences would be disastrous if you don't notice and then immerse the watch in water -- showering, swimming, washing the car, whatever.

Might be time to give Hamilton a call on the phone.
    Steve

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Update: Re: Screw down crown question

Well, I called Hamilton about this and my watch is going back again. This time, though, they're sending FedEx to pick up my watch.

What I believe happened is that Hamilton replaced the crown on my watch and didn't touch the crown tube, which is where the problem really lies. The new crown will screw down, but only for about 1/4 of a turn.

I'm expecting another two months to get it fixed, maybe longer. So far I've been able to wear my watch for five weeks, Hamilton has had it for eight weeks and I'm about to send it to them again. I'm less than enamored of Hamilton these days...

Cassady

Thread Information