Screw Down Crown Thread Stripping?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Screw Down Crown Thread Stripping?

Screw Down Crown Thread Stripping?

Hi everyone,

I apologize for a kind of newbie question. I found a thread somewhere (I think it was the Rolex forum but I can't find it now) in which the thread owner was concerned about stripping the screw down crown because the Tudor Pelagos was made of Titanium. Further, he seemed concerned about the thread tube (I believe that is what he said) might not be drilled out of the case but be a separate part. Other commenters remarked that it was no different than any other watch and that any rookie could ruin the thread on their crown.

I'm not entirely sure what they are talking about, but I have a screw down crown on my Orient Black Ray and was wondering if there is perhaps some non-common sense concern with screw down crowns? Obviously I could strip the thread, but it's not like I'm screwing it back down with an impact wrench...

Again, sorry of it's a silly question, and thanks in advance!
    Cheers!

Owns: Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (311.30.42.30.01.005), Orient Black Ray, Seiko 5 Sports SNZH53 Blue, MWW Iconik 1, Seiko SNN231P2, Moto 360 Smartwatch
    Wants: ​Panerai PAM560, Omega Seamaster 300M Diver Ceramic

Re: Screw Down Crown Thread Stripping?

Screw down crowns use very small thread that typically is less than precisely cut. Most of them have a fair amount of wobble until the crown is tightened. So for several reasons a screw down crown can be thought of as a hidden maintenance problem waiting for a time to occur. It is a very common and not terribly expensive repair. It's a good idea to minimize the number of times the crown is opened to hand wind, correct the time, etc.

If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen so try not to worry about it. The secret with screw down crowns is to press them in then back them off slightly until you hear/feel the thread engage then tighten the crown up gently.
    mleok likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen so try not to worry about it. The secret with screw down crowns is to press them in then back them off slightly until you hear/feel the thread engage then tighten the crown up gently.
    This. It is the best way to protect from thread stripping, I am speaking from previous experience.
    Follow me on Instagram! @Toronto_Time
    Always Interested in talking watches, shoot me a PM!
    #RedBarCrew #RedBarToronto #TorontoTime

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    +1

just do a little counter clock twist before screwing it in clock wise and don't snug it too tight.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

In addition to the above advice, I've found crowns will engage easier and screw down more smoothly if you take a piece of waxed dental floss, wrap it around the threads when the crown is pulled all the way out, then work it back and forth a bit. It cleans out the threads as well as lubricates them slightly with the wax. It makes a very noticeable difference.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; July 23rd, 2015 at 23:36.

[QUOTE=BrentYYC;18408274]In addition to the above advice, I've found crowns will engage easier and screw down more smoothly if you take a piece of waxed dental floss, wrap it around the threads when the crown is pulled all the way out, then work it back and forth a bit. It cleans out the threads as well as lubricates them slightly with the wax. It makes a very noticeable difference.[/QUOTE

Now that is a great idea! I'm heading upstairs right now to do that to all of my watches. Thanks for that little tid bit of information.

***Edit...I just finished and you're right, Brent. It made a big difference, I went one step further and put a small amount of Seiko gasket grease on the threads. It made all of my watches buttery smooth, that may make them a dust magnet but I can always use the dental floss again.
    Last edited by falcon4311; July 24th, 2015 at 00:35.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

Thanks for all the help, guys! I'll make sure to follow your techniques when I sync my watch in a week or so. (it's running +7seconds a day, so once every week or two I'll sync it back up)

I'll have to try the floss thing when I do as well, but it sounds like a great trick!
    Cheers!

Owns: Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (311.30.42.30.01.005), Orient Black Ray, Seiko 5 Sports SNZH53 Blue, MWW Iconik 1, Seiko SNN231P2, Moto 360 Smartwatch
    Wants: ​Panerai PAM560, Omega Seamaster 300M Diver Ceramic

while it shouldn't be required one ultra check is the crown position when the thread disengages, look at the logo and screw the crown back in the same position.

Thread Information