Search for Ultimate Utilitarian Watch
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Search for Ultimate Utilitarian Watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search for Ultimate Utilitarian Watch

Hello everybody, this is my first post..and hopefully the last if this forum business will get the attention of all you guys that love and truly know the watch world.

I'm looking for the ultimate Utilitarian watch (function being the prevalent aspect of search).
    I need your help with finding a watch that fits this criteria:

1.shock resistant (or at least capable of tacking some hard hits)
    2.water resistance (200m/atm cause let's be honest..sometimes it's just that kind of day)
    3.analog look with clear and simple reading (think diver look, or pilot watch, or heck even something along the lines of timex dual tech analog/digital -which I wear now, or nautica bfd 101 ana-digi would work just fine)
    4.chrono/alarm/timer/day/date - the more the better (also digital compass would be awesome)
    5.size between 35 and 42 mm (as I like to wear my watch on the inside on the wrist)
    6.it must be able to take a nato/zulu strap (size does not matter here)
    7.easy to read dial (i.e. like maratac watches) - if it has tritium inserts or something even better for night capability - great if not..ahh well.
    8.battery (either automatic/kinetic watch or easily replaceable battery - how easy--think suunto easy)
    9.price does not matter - as I'm looking to have this watch worn for the next decade or so (also having it engraved etc.)

before anyone goes and says it..yes it's basically the G-Shock GW-A1100 I'm looking for but with a simpler/smaller look in a diver/pilot like frame that takes a nato strap.

Please help..thanks.

Re: Search for Ultimate Utilitarian Watch

Inox?

socrates35 and Pallet Spoon like this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Maybe something like this will work, although it's 43mm and only 100m wr...but aside from that, it's got just about everything:
    Attached Images Attached Images

dbostedo and Pallet Spoon like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You could also look at Tissot...
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is no watch made today that beats an SKX007 on black NATO as an every day utilitarian watch. None.

Name:  Skx007-1843.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  340.5 KB
    Last edited by bullshark; April 3rd, 2015 at 20:57. Reason: add pic
    JAndrewC, PYLTN and Howl like this.
    All opinions expressed in this post are subject to change after sobering up.

Get a Marathon TSAR and an iPhone (for your #4 requirement).
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

@brandon\ -->awesome find..the first time I see this watch, really looking into it- alas it's still a bit too big, and has no other capabilities besides time and date, and not such an easy replaceable battery (i.e. do it yourself in the field if necessary).
    @bullshark - seiko...all the respect..but it brings me to the same point as above..not much besides day and date and plus..you can't honestly stand behind it in shock resistance can you?
    @zeroedout - considering the Tissot..but again..shock resistance issue, battery better (especially with their new T-touch solar expert), but this one has the whole touch issue..which what happens to it once you start smashing the lens by accident.. plus..way too many extra options (altimeter, thermometer, etc.) - which are all awesome..(all in all..this might be one to remember..how's the water resistance on this one?)

@all --please keep the ideas coming..who knows..maybe we're actually gonna find one that fits ALL the criteria.

Tudor Pelagos. Titanium and ceramic. Great clasp.

"When as a child I laughed and wept, time crept. When as a youth I waxed more bold, time strolled. When I became a full-grown man, time RAN. When older still I daily grew, time FLEW. Soon I shall find, in passing on, time gone. O Christ! wilt Thou have saved me then? Amen." - Henry Twells

Seiko Tuna SBBN035 | Tag Heuer Professional 2000 | Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2110

Quote Originally Posted by victor.heiligvuur View Post
    @bullshark - seiko...all the respect..but it brings me to the same point as above..not much besides day and date and plus..you can't honestly stand behind it in shock resistance can you?
    Absolutely, the watch in the picture is almost 20 years old and has done just about anything that can be done while wearing a watch, and even some that shouldn't. From splitting wood with an ax to driving spike to hammering nails to bumping into things to diving "the hole" in Cuba(-187').
    You know how many time I was stranded with a non-functioning watch because the battery was dead? Well, it doesn't have one. Hey, you do what you want, I have nothing to sell, I'm just impressed with it, and if I ever loose it I'm buying another.
    All opinions expressed in this post are subject to change after sobering up.

interesting! 20 years...now that is quite something! is it also true that they do a version with the dial "blacked out" as in without the seiko brand on it..(i'm not sure how they call that..just curious)?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information