Second hand moves but hour & minute hands don't
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Second hand moves but hour & minute hands don't

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Second hand moves but hour & minute hands don't

EMPORIO ARMANI WHITE CERAMICA WATCH AR1409 (quartz battery type)

My girlfriend just accidentally hit this watch on a metal post & chipped the ceramic strap. However, the worst part is that ever since, the second hand moves (small window of its own) but the hour & minute hands don't. I can reset the correct time & although the seconds tick away as normal, the actual time doesn't change.
    It feels OK when adjusting the time & the hands move as normal, both backwards & forwards. They don't appear to be loose on the shaft either as lightly tapping it doesn't cause them to swing down under gravity.
    No doubt it will have to go to be examined, but does anyone have a clue what might have gone wrong?
    Many thanks
    Paul

Re: Second hand moves but hour & minute hands don't

My Swiss Army Convoy does the exact same thing. It might be the battery but I haven't been able to find one that fits. Check the battery as it might have to be reseated. Let me know if this works

Quote Originally Posted by Demoman View Post
    My Swiss Army Convoy does the exact same thing. It might be the battery but I haven't been able to find one that fits. Check the battery as it might have to be reseated. Let me know if this works
    I removed the battery, cleaned & reseated it, but no difference. Thanks for replying anyway. I didn't get any response apart from yours...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately quartz movements do not have replaceable parts and tend to be replaced, not repaired. It will need a movement replacement.
    Lots of dive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    Unfortunately quartz movements do not have replaceable parts and tend to be replaced, not repaired. It will need a movement replacement.
    Thanks for the reply Eric. She will probably claim on her insurance for accidental damage as it's probably a write off.

Quote Originally Posted by muggo View Post
    Thanks for the reply Eric. She will probably claim on her insurance for accidental damage as it's probably a write off.
    Before claiming it on insurance and raising your premiums, see how much it will cost to repair. Quartz movements are not expensive.
    Lots of dive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by muggo View Post
    Thanks for the reply Eric. She will probably clai
    m on her insurance for accidental damage as it's probably a write off.
    Chances are the deductible will cover most if not all of the repair costs leaving little in the way of a claim to be paid. If she has filed other claims in the past 5 years the cumulative number may result in a premium increase. If it was me I would use my insurance for the large claims and self insure the small stuff.

I believe this is the watch, and goes for about $270. Quartz watches tend to have their mov'ts changed out when damaged much more easily than mechanical watches, due to less moving/serviceable parts. I'm not sure what replacing a quartz mov't would entail, like how you'd go about getting one, especially since this particular watch doesn't use an ETA/Rhonda, etc, to make ordering the exact same mov't accessible. I guess you'd just need a watch maker than knows what to do to fit in a new one?

But for $270, I'd look into my policy details for a deductible, possible rate hikes, if they'd just pay out or reimburse up to the price, what that price would be, etc. I'm guessing that this watch would probably fall under a blanket coverage policy rather than be individually documented and itemized.

..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

Nice looking watch.

Maybe they just move exactly 24 hours per second. (kidding)

You have insurance on an Emporio Armani watch?
    Swingline888 and Popoki Nui like this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information