Second watch ideas. Which is the better deal?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Second watch ideas. Which is the better deal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Second watch ideas. Which is the better deal?

Hi,

I recently decided to start wearing watches and bought an automatic Bauhas style watch. I am very happy with the purchase as I feel that the watch is pretty versatile in terms of being dressed up or down. I am however looking to buy a second watch to fill in the gap for when I am more active (I'd hate to scratch it up or something).

I narrowed my choices down to these 5 but since I'll be purchasing it online instead of in person, I was hoping that someone could give me some opinions.

Seiko SNK 803 - Really like the looks of this watch and I have tiny wrists (6.5). The Bauhaus is 48mm lug to lug and that is definitely the limit for me. I like a good deal and since I don't at all care about hacking (is there a reason as to why I should?) or hand winding (haven't used it even once on the Bauhas), this watch is appealing.

Vostok Amphibia - I like the design and the ability of the watch to really take a beating but I am just not sure how it will look in person since most reviews mention that it looks/feels rather cheap.

Seiko Sea Urchin Pepsi - I have no idea if I'll like diving watches (the amphibia looks more like a military watch to me) but I like the red and blue plus a rotating bezel looks like it would be super fun to fidgit with.

Orient Mako - Same as above. Not sure if I'll like a diver but this one had great reviews.

Orient Defender - I like military watches and I like the looks of this one. As I've said I don't really care about all the extra features but, in the online pictures, it looks like it's higher quality than the SNK.

Any opinions or experiences with any of these watches as they compare to each other would be super helpful. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Second watch ideas. Which is the better deal?

I originally bought an Orient Mako USA - not sure I'd like a diving watch either - and it's a pretty cool watch on bracelet. They original mako isn't hacking and has to be wound by a little shuffling. That's not a big deal, but worth noting. Overall, I like the watch, but it's not the best dive watch out there. The bezel is stiff and hard to turn (at least for me). If I was going to buy it over again, I think I'd go with the Defender instead since it's a little more balanced and lacks the bezel.

My experience with the Vostok is limited to the one I bought my brother. Vostok does feel kinda cheap; but that makes sense because it is hella cheap to buy.

You won't mind the Seiko 5 not handwinding or hacking. It's really not a big deal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They're all good choices and you won't go wrong with any of them. Personally I like the Vostoks. They can be a little rough around the edges, but that for me is part of their charm. They may not have the finishing of the others but what they have that the others don't is character. The only problem is they're addictive and you'll end up buying more than one. Those who like them like them a lot.

Which one are you looking at?

Welcome to the forum! Love Vostok, especially on a budget! Name:  F1985490-E700-4E1A-989B-E1D072B2A3E6.jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  1.52 MB
    Nokie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneMore View Post
    They're all good choices and you won't go wrong with any of them. Personally I like the Vostoks. They can be a little rough around the edges, but that for me is part of their charm. They may not have the finishing of the others but what they have that the others don't is character. The only problem is they're addictive and you'll end up buying more than one. Those who like them like them a lot.

Which one are you looking at?
    I like the classic ones with a white scuba dude dial. Figured it would look great on a white and blue NATO.

I would go SNK 803. It's a brilliant little watch and tough enough for all everyday situations. The bead blasted case looks cool.

Did you also consider the SRP51?

Name:  SRP515K1_LRG.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  71.5 KB
    Nokie likes this.

I would go with the Mako or Ray. Great watch for the money.

You can't go wrong with the SNK803. Having to choose is a good problem to have!

As a dive watch fan I’d probably go for the Mako. (No, no probably about it.) but as you’re unsure happen the defender is the best bet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information