Seek Advice on Vulcain Quartz Watch that Made In Hong Kong

Thread: Seek Advice on Vulcain Quartz Watch that Made In Hong Kong

Seek Advice on Vulcain Quartz Watch that Made In Hong Kong

hi, i saw a vintage Vulcain watch that is in sale at a local vintage watch shop, very interested to buy it. Before that I wish to seek for your advice on the originality of the watch. The watch is used, should be from 60's or 70's, with Vulcain & Hong Kong on the dial, but I noticed that the quartz movement doesn't come with Vulcain name, neither on the back case or steel strap. The seller claims that it is original watch. I am in doubt whether should i buy it. pls advise.

i don't have the picture as the seller doesn't allowed me to take...

Banned

Re: Seek Advice on Vulcain Quartz Watch that Made In Hong Kong

Seller does not allow you to take a pic?

That alone would tell me to back off.

hi Janne, he just open the back case, and i saw non Vulcain name inside....just in doubt whether Vulcain would produce watch in Hong Kong, without using any of original parts, oh ya! the crown doesn't have sign too...but indeed, the watch is look nice...but just worry it might not the original one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

It should be from the 70's, as Quartz did not exist for the mass market in the 60's.

Vulcain died as a swiss brand together with most european brands in the 70's, due to the cheap asian quartz watch invasion.
    There is a possibility the name was aquired by a HK company.
    It got reborn in 2001, in le Lockle Switzerland.

Unbranded movement inside? That too would make me back out.
    How much in USD does he want?

it is about usd90..still in bargain..

Banned

If it works, and you like the design, it can be worth it, just for the timekeeping.

Here is a link to the pictures to the watch tulinkids are referring to: Vintage Vulcain Mens Watch Gold New OLD STOCK - eBay (item 270704877545 end time Feb-15-11 18:11:15 PST)
    I don't think it breaks any rules to post that auction since it is already completed.

For the record what is really going on here is that Tulinkids purchased this watch from me via ebay and upon arrival started to think that the watch could be a fake since it doesn't have a signed movement. I told him that he should post it up for verification but that I was sure it was just a low quality vulcain (not one of the swiss made ones, as the watch states "Hong Kong" right on the dial). Anyway help would be appreciated! TIA

Anyone with knowledge of this watch here or is there another forum that might be better to post in?

I have a hypothesis:

Unless a manufacturer of goods open their own subsidiary in an overseas market, they would have to rely on a local firm to distribute their products. In this case, the manufacturer's trademark would be registered by the local distributor, thus owned by them for that particular market.

Vulcain was a respected brand in Hong Kong especially in the 50s, and only a little less so in the 60s (IIRC). When Vulcain went belly-up, the local distributor would have got left high and dry; they would still want to sell watches, and as they owned the Vulcain brand name in HK, they would just be as well get watches built and label them as such, to carry on their business.

If that's what happened, this watch would be an example of the products sold by the Vulcain distributor in HK during that awkward time. But of course, the reality might have been very different, but it seems a likely scenario.

Thread Information