Seeking "budget" guilloche watch
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Seeking "budget" guilloche watch

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Seeking "budget" guilloche watch

Hello everyone

I've decided my collection needs a dressy guilloche watch, but don't have the funds for a Breguet or something of the likes.
    I've been looking through forums and the like, and have found two watches so far, but can't decide which to go for, or if there's something else on the market I should be looking at.
    I'm looking at either a Tourby watch, like this: Name:  IMG_0979.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  358.0 KBName:  Tourby guilloche movement.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  446.8 KB

Or the newer and slightly less known Ophion watch: Name:  Ophion-OPH-786-Review-aBlogtoWatch-13.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  249.9 KBName:  Ophion-OPH-786-Review-aBlogtoWatch-26.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  243.0 KB

Both watches have about the same measurements at 39-40,5 mm case and about 9mm case thickness (excl. glass). Both watches also have CNC made guilloche patterns, which is a must for me, since I usually don't like stamped dials (they tend to look a bit like plastic imho). The Tourby watch has an ETA/Unitas 6498-1 movement, the Ophion has a Technotime/Soprod TT718 that's been very heavily modified. The Soprod movement has a more fluid sweep (4hz), hacking(!) and 5 days PR over the Unitas movement. The Tourby watch costs 1725 euros (incl. VAT) while the Ophion costs 2200 euros (excl. VAT), so the Ophion watch is definitely pricier. I have to admit I also like the Ophion more, but I'm not sure it's worth the higher price.

Does anyone have experience with either watch, or have some other recommendation in about the same price range?
    Actium and BonyWrists like this.

I currently own a Breguet 7147 and Breguet 5907. I also just ordered a Tourby sector dial yesterday. That being said, I prefer the Ophion. I like the layered dial, the unique hands, and I like how they customized and finished the movement.

If you just want a nice guilloche dial you can also try for a basic pre-owned reverso. Their guilloche is very impressive and you'd get a timeless classic with an inhouse movement. You might be able to get one for just a little more than the Ophion.
    mleok likes this.

Exactly the same I thought about the Ophion, it seems very nicely detailed with a lot of design elements that just come together perfectly.

Do share your experience with the quality of the Tourby watch you ordered when you get it.

I did have some looks at the reverso, and took another look after your suggestion. Can find some nice looking ones without paying too much extra, but unfortunately most of them lack a seconds hand, which is a deal breaker for me. Also I'm having a hard time to see the real advantage of their in house movement when it doesn't seem to have better features, nor can you look at it to see the finish.
    But still appreciate the suggestion!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Seeking "budget" guilloche watch

Exactly the same I thought about the Ophion, it seems very nicely detailed with a lot of design elements that just come together perfectly.
    +1
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Nivrel? Limes? No idea if CNC so may not meet your requirements but fwiw . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Watchbreath and BonyWrists like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    Nivrel? Limes? No idea if CNC so may not meet your requirements but fwiw . . .
    The information I've been able to gather has suggested that they're both stamped. But still really good looking watches, I must admit!
    drhr likes this.

That's to be expected at the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by En_Nissen View Post
    The information I've been able to gather has suggested that they're both stamped. But still really good looking watches, I must admit!
    drhr likes this.

You can't get much buget-ier than one of the Orients. Sapphire crystal though it's stamped too, but it does say "water resist" just like a classic orient. Display back, but largely unornamented.

Name:  IMG_0861sm.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  597.6 KB
    watchingandwaiting likes this.

Name:  20190213_173222.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  67.5 KB
    JDM Orient ER2F004W. They retail for $165 but the market jacks them up to $220. They are hard to find, but worth it.

IMHO the "finishing" on the bridges of the Ophion makes for one of the least attractive movements I have seen in a long while. I understand that this is purely an aesthetic preference, but for that reason alone I would opt for the Tourby.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast