Seeking help for a gift for my father!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seeking help for a gift for my father!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seeking help for a gift for my father!

Hello Everyone,

First time poster here, great to meet you all!

I am looking to purchase a watch for my dad's 63rd birthday. He has been an absolute champ and i believe he deserves some luxury in his life. You see, he has led a frugal life despite his above average income to give our family the best (been using a $60 watch for the past 5 years) and I want to give him something to show him my thanks.

My mother told me that she came across a very nice Rado watch many years ago and wished to purchase it for my dad but it was too pricey at the time. I thought i could hit two birds with one stone and make it happen this time round.

One watch that caught my attention is the following: RADO-CENTRIX-MENS-WATCH-R30939103
    Name:  rado-centrix-automatic-stainless-steel-mens-watch-r30939103-9.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  78.5 KB
    The criteria i set myself was an automatic, light weight, simplistic looking watch within a $1300 price bracket.

I'd like to explore other options out there and was hoping you guys could lend a hand.

Many thanks in advance,

D

Re: Seeking help for a gift for my father!

If he liked Rado, that brand would probably be the best received. If you're looking at Rado you've probably already looked at Tissot and Hamilton. At that price point Stowa, Nivrel, Archimede and Epos come to mind. If you're looking for an occasional dress watch quartz might not be a bad idea. For a casual every day watch its hard to beat a Damasko DA36 / DA37 (my daily wear) at that budget. The Sinn 556 is a great versatile option too. If you think your dad will be hesitant to accept or wear an expensive watch you could go with a Seiko Shogun, Orient Star, or one of the Citizen signature models for an under the radar, high quality gift. I think you're within second hand Omega quartz range, and definitely within reach of a really nice vintage Omega.

Check out watchseller.com and topper fine jewelry for reputable second hand sales.
    I got a standing desk, so now I need a pilot watch...

Might look at a Seiko SARB model for another suggestion.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You're a d**n good offspring. And he sounds pretty special too!

Hard to say what the circumstances were when he mentioned the Rado - did they see it in a magazine one day or had they gone out shopping and actually tried one on? Is he really a Rado fan?
    I might suggest that you look at what he's got on (and maybe some old ones in a drawer someplace - frugal guys keep stuff) and with your mom's guidance pick out several at a local store. Then - maybe after a few 'lubricating beers" at lunch you could pull into the store and show them to him - WITHOUT PRICE TAGS ATTACHED.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

my suggestion is find out what that "Rado" your mom was referring to ... and try to get him that one,
    like you said, 2 birds with one stone ~

There are loads of watches out there so if you Mum remembers Rado that's the make to get for no other reason than that's the brand she recalls wanting to buy.
    metalgear likes this.

Yep Rado would be nice. Look around though, you would be surprised at the prices you can find for Rolex and Omega.
    My Watch Reviewing Blog: http://www.....................

Thanks alot for all the suggestion guys!

Just to clarify one fact, my mum suggested the Rado when i shared my ideas to purchase him a watch for his gift haha!

just make doubly sure that your that didn't want the watch then because it was too pricey. i sometimes still tell my wife that just to avoid any long arguments !

This watch has also caught my attention.

Though I have an interest in watches, im still inexperienced so id like your opinions. Would the 34mm face be too small? My dad is a smaller man, around 170cm tall and fit build.
    Would you choose this over the rado?

Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information