seeking info and advice on Eterna Tangaroa
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Inca Bloc

Thread: seeking info and advice on Eterna Tangaroa

seeking info and advice on Eterna Tangaroa

Are there any Eterna afficianados out there? I wonder when the Tangaroa line was in production and where it stands in the Eterna range; realative, say, to the Kontiki line?
    Ebel Sport Classic chrono (3), 1911 BTR chrono (2), 1911 BTR GMT (2), type E chrono (2), Sportwave 500M (2), 1911 chrono, Wave chrono, Hexagon GMT, Hexagon Regulator, Le Carree,1911 Senior (GP), Voyager, Brasilia chrono
    Omega 1945-6 "Bumper" 28.10 RA SC PC
    IWC Spitfire Pilot Chronograph IW371702

Invicta Pro Diver Coin-Edge 9937OB
    Movado Series 800 Chronograph 2600024 (quartz)

Re: seeking info and advice on Eterna Tangaroa

I'm a fan of Eterna, but don't own one yet (the Kontiki Four Hands XXL is next on my hit list, though). According to the Eterna website, the Tangaroa expedition was a 2006 shout out to Thor Heyerdahl's Kontiki expedition in 1947. My assumption is that the Tangaroa has a fairly recent production run. My apologies if you knew that already.

In any event, I think the Tangaroa is a fantastic piece. It has a nice see-through caseback, too, if that's something that makes a difference to you. The Kontiki does not.

Our pal Don (Dojoca) in Boston owns several Eterna watches. I just saw one of his new acquisitions at the Watchbuys road show a few weeks ago and it was very impressive. PM him.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm an Eterna enthusiast; I have 2 Eternamatics, one is 54 yrs old, the other is 43 yrs old. Can't think of a good reason not to get one.

John
    Does anyone really know what time it is?

If you don't know where you're going; every road will get you there.

I'm a huge Eterna fan, especially the Kontiki line. Both old and new Kontikis grace my watch cabinet. Tangaroa is in my sights as soon as a super deal avails. The Tangaroa model was released in homage to the 2006 Tangaroa expedition. The exact release date I'm unsure of but one would expect that it was released while the interest in the accomplishments of the expedition were still fresh in the minds of adventurers and enthusiasts. Eterna definitely wanted to market Tangaroa with a legacy like the successful Kontiki line. I'm still doing my own fact finding to see if Eterna was on the ground floor with the 2006 expedition to have pre-production models sail with the crew. I can't be sure judging by the documentary film. I think we will see (I hope) Tangaroa for many years to come in small exclusive production.

Also a huge Eterna fan. Looks like the Tangaroa is a very nice watch indeed, so I have no doubts it is well made. Be aware that it has water resistance listed at only 50m, whereas the KonTiki is 120m minimum. Tangaroa looks like it fits more into the "dress" watch category; Kontiki is more "sport". If either of those matter to you.

~Sherry.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

if the Kontiki XXL 4 handwould have minute-markers on the dial like the Kontiki 4 hand, i would buy it...
    ajbutler13 likes this.
    "Unum Non Satis"

Quote Originally Posted by Inca Bloc View Post
    if the Kontiki XXL 4 handwould have minute-markers on the dial like the Kontiki 4 hand, i would buy it...
    Why in God's name did you have to point that out? WHY???

This thread has been dead for a while, but here's what I know about the Tangaroa Expedition (2006) and Eterna:
    Indeed, Eterna sponsored the Tangaroa expedition, just as they did with the original KonTiki expedition. And the crew on-board of the balsa-wood raft wore (at least most of them chose to) Eterna watches. Those watches were not from the Tangaroa line --which, in my opinion, are not well suited for the rough necessities that come with participating on such expedition-- but they were KonTikis, specifically, the KonTiki Diver 1594 (aka "KonTiki Concept Diver"), which was still not yet released to the public by the time of the expedition (as far as I understand, the watch was released until 2008, so it's probably safe to assume the ones wore on the Tangaroa were prototypes). You can see the watch in action throughout the expedition documentary, especially during this sequence: https://youtu.be/29waAjmbO2w?t=920

Also, here's a note on that subject (Google Translate should be able to help in case you don't speak German): https://www.goettgen.de/archiv/fz/au...hls-1159263387

On a last note: just as it happened during the KonTiki expedition, Eterna's sponsorship of the Tangaroa wasn't a "normal sponsorship", in the sense that there never was any branding or any mention of it (hence, it's extremely complicated to find any info). This is because the sponsorship of both expeditions came not as a marketing/branding agreement, but because the Heyerdahl family's friendship with Eterna owners and/or management.

Now, here's a photo of my KonTiki Diver. A fantastic watch: Attachment 13668263
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information